ECVI Nanoose, French Creek Report

Where were you fishing SmokinJoe?
We were out off French Creek Monday as well, from 9 to 2 and ended up with only one small Coho.
Lure-washer

I Also heard a report of a boat trolling off sangster island bagging a big spring almost every pass?? might be worth the trip over from frenchcreek i am told..

Where were you fishing SmokinJoe?
We were out off French Creek Monday as well, from 9 to 2 and ended up with only one small Coho.
Lure-washer
We were fishing out of Schooner, near the Winchelseas

Greetings all again... I've been kinda lax with the posting so I'll try better this year. We were out yesterday (Monday 23) and started the day of at Ballenas. Very bumpy with a good wind but not much on the sounder. We ended up with 1 hatchery coho and threw back another half dozen or so. We moved down to mistaken to get out of the wind dropped the gear and had a visit from a pod of killer whales. we headed across to Gerald where we started to get fish.
every pass gave up a fish or two. We ended up with six Springs and three coho. A good day for sure.

Out today off French Creek

Caught quite a few that were just a tad undersize

Around 4:15 pm nailed a 25lb'er off the White Door,down 130ft in 190ft of water .
Also a legal 7lb.er

Caught on green Splatterback needlefish hoochies behind Green haze flashers.

When we were launching there was a skinned carcass of about a 30lb Halibut right on the ramp......

001.jpg003.jpg

Greetings all again... I've been kinda lax with the posting so I'll try better this year. We were out yesterday (Monday 23) and started the day of at Ballenas. Very bumpy with a good wind but not much on the sounder. We ended up with 1 hatchery coho and threw back another half dozen or so. We moved down to mistaken to get out of the wind dropped the gear and had a visit from a pod of killer whales. we headed across to Gerald where we started to get fish.
every pass gave up a fish or two. We ended up with six Springs and three coho. A good day for sure.

What time were the whales near Mistaken? I fished the Winchelsea's all afternoon 11:30-6:30 and never had the pleasure of seeing whales. That would be awesome! Nice work.

Years back there used to be a worldclass Coho blueback fishery around here which started pretty early in the season.

They are around.....but no blueback (Coho) retention now before June 1st. In the books now they only have to be 30cm to be legal (and hatchery)....which is pretty friggin' small.

French Creek is often like a Coho kindergarten.....

My fish in the pics aren't gutted because my wife likes to use the entrails for the garden.......so we just ice 'em up good on the boat.

I also fished coho in the area (in between Hornby and Denman) in June growing up. I just caught the end of it the first years I can remember we caught fish every day out then the trollers were banned then there was suddenly just no more coho.

Good to hear they are starting to make a come back. You guys are putting SCVI to shame this year it used to be Sooke was good fishing but now maybe the balance is shifting back to the inside.

Fished the Winchelsea's tonight without a sniff. Not even a shaker. A little odd after limiting out on Sunday. Anyone have any luck today?

Fished the Winchelsea's tonight without a sniff. Not even a shaker. A little odd after limiting out on Sunday. Anyone have any luck today?

HI Smokin
The one thing about a trip like that is that it can only get better. I know this because I have had a few.

h.e.h.

Heading out today, got the day off so I will keep you posted. Not sure where we are heading but Bushy hit a bunch of fish the other day off Lasqueti. They limited out on springs 12 to 17lbs all on hootchies. Wish me luck..........BRS

I herd the same thing about the south end of Lasqueti being on fire so to speak, never fished over there but this Sangster spot sounds like goodstuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Smokin
The one thing about a trip like that is that it can only get better. I know this because I have had a few.

h.e.h.

Yeah it can only go up from here. Started second guessing myself so I gave Todd a call just to confirm there's still fish around and he said he did good yesterday AM but whales showed up in the afternoon so maybe that scared them off. Gonna giver a go tonight and tomorrow most likely.

We were out this morning for about 1 1/2 hours off French Creek, and there was tons of feed, the water was calm, Landed two 15 and 10 and while I was trying to get one of the tandem #4 Gamy hooks out of an undersize, guess where the other hook went, That was the end of the trip since we could`nt even make a dent in the shank with the needle nose side cutters, and could`nt get the hook back out over the broken off barb.
It was a good job for that Dremel that just sits in my cupboard, with a grinding disc.
And it could have been the best day yet this year.
Lure-washer

My condolences L W the same thing happened to me last year but fortunately I had a good pair of side cutters on the dash o the boat. Hurt like hell.
h.e.h.

Yeah it can only go up from here. Started second guessing myself so I gave Todd a call just to confirm there's still fish around and he said he did good yesterday AM but whales showed up in the afternoon so maybe that scared them off. Gonna giver a go tonight and tomorrow most likely.

Ya but Todd could catch fish in a dried up mud puddle. LOL. Ill be over Saturday Sunday and Monday. I'll give you a call. Sure hope you guys have left me a couple of fish.
h.e.h.

Back