Columbians "Myth or Fact" & "POST"

quote:Originally posted by Gooey Bob

Interesting thread, first, a question, then an observation...

Are the "recoveries" here actually CWT recoveries of cuught fish, or are they fish that are carrying acoustic tags and then the "recovery" is the recognition of that acoustic signature by the POST system? If it is the latter, then I'd suggest that the data in no way actually represent the migration pattern of any large stock group like "Columbia River Chinook" (which is actually broken down into several smaller stock groups like "Upriver Brights, Tules, etc) but rather a smaller subset of fish that are marked as part of the POST program.

Secondly, and assuming these are CWT recoveries and not POST hits, I wonder just what Canadian fisheries management area is covered under the heading "Juan De Fuca" in the data Charlie has presented here. My guess is that its all of areas 19 & 20. Considering that area 20 extends up as far as Bonilla Pt. its not hard to imagine that Columbia bound fish will end up being caught there. IMO, in this debate, "Juan De Fuca" caught fish would be more in the Sherringham and points east zone. Renfew is to Juan De Fuca, like outer Barkley Sound is to Alberni Inlet. Sure you'll catch Robertson Creek Chinook at Swale Rock, but you're just as likely to catch a Yakima River fish there too. Its a serious mized stock fishery at Renfrew, and they do catch a lot of US produced fish. CWT data show that. It makes sense that you'd recover a fair number of chinook of Columbia origin at Port Renfrew, but I'd bet my Islanders that there is a direct negative relationship between the frequency of catching Columbia Bound mature Chinook (feeders can show up anywhere, but typically aren't 40 - 60 lbs :))and the distance east from the open pacific you are in Juan De Fuca.

Couldn't resist...

Gooey

Here is a link you might find interesting: http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pbio.0060265
They use a V9 Coded Transmitter

v9_coded_Page_1.jpg

Here is the locations of POST receivers. I can't tell for sure,but it looks like two in the strait, one on both sides. I probably could find that if you really want to know? Also, notice the release sites! :)

PostLocationsjournalpbio0060265.jpg

Both "Tracking" and "Recovery" data is actually uploaded to the POST Website. If you go to the website and go to database you can see where the uploads are listed. As far as receivers... check out the first map! Their tracking information is right smack in the middle of the Strait. Sorry, NOT Sherringham or Port Renfrew, but look more like Sooke and Pillar Point?

I am not trying to suggest all these fish are 40 to 60 pounds. If I did I surely want to retract that! But, do want to refer that a LOT of them are in the 40 - 60 class!

Do you want to mail me your Islanders? Or, should I plan on picking them up? :)

If someone is seriously interested in facts please PM me. I will send you some info. For ones with an attitude - please, stupidity suits you well.

If someone is seriously interested in facts please PM me. I will send you some info. For ones with an attitude - please, stupidity suits you well.

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Sheesh... why don't you post this information,so all of us "stupid" individuals can learn something like,"95 percent of all tagged fish are U.S."! :(

Sheesh... why don't you post this information,so all of us "stupid" individuals can learn something like,"95 percent of all tagged fish are U.S."! :(

Maybe if you start reading your own info you will notice that POST is designed to track juvenile and smolt migration and not adult salmon. The transmitter lifespan is only a few months...Start there...

Maybe if you start reading your own info you will notice that POST is designed to track juvenile and smolt migration and not adult salmon. The transmitter lifespan is only a few months...Start there...

I sent in a chinook head caught off otter point. The letter I received from the dept of Fisheries and Oceans indicated that it was from a hatchery near Nelson B.C.

I sent in a chinook head caught off otter point. The letter I received from the dept of Fisheries and Oceans indicated that it was from a hatchery near Nelson B.C.

Hmmm... let's see? Good Point!
Smolts go out on a certain migration path.
Adult salmon follow the same migration path back, right?

Programmable ON/OFF
V9 coded tags can be programmed to turn off for extended
periods of time and reactivated later. This is useful to extend
the life of the tag.

Projected Battery Life for 2L can be up to 959 days?
That equals to 2.6 years?

Good try Grasshopper! Thanks! :D

I have a list of 56,649 Chinook Salmon from the Columbia detected by POST between May 1 and May 31 from 2005 and 2007. Be more than happy to share it with you!

Hmmm... let's see? Good Point!
Smolts go out on a certain migration path.
Adult salmon follow the same migration path back, right?

Programmable ON/OFF
V9 coded tags can be programmed to turn off for extended
periods of time and reactivated later. This is useful to extend
the life of the tag.

Projected Battery Life for 2L can be up to 959 days?
That equals to 2.6 years?

Good try Grasshopper! Thanks! :D

I have a list of 56,649 Chinook Salmon from the Columbia detected by POST between May 1 and May 31 from 2005 and 2007. Be more than happy to share it with you!

quote:Originally posted by Pippen

I caught some Columbians off of Tofino this past weekend about 7 miles out! :D;)

Hey Pippen,
How do you know they were Columbians? [:0] :)

quote:Originally posted by Pippen

I caught some Columbians off of Tofino this past weekend about 7 miles out! :D;)

Hey Pippen,

quote:Originally posted by Charlie
Hey Pippen,

Short....fat....snubbed nose......oh and also that's what the local guy told me.;)[8D]

I will try and post up a pic of one.

quote:Originally posted by Charlie
Hey Pippen,

Short....fat....snubbed nose......oh and also that's what the local guy told me.;)[8D]

I will try and post up a pic of one.

quote:Adult salmon follow the same migration path back, right?
Completely wrong.
Chris, you should change your major to: Marine Biology

There is a lot of "old" information floating around out there that many people believe and a lot of that information has been proven wrong, just in the past few years!

POST is just one of the more recent programs for tracking salmon, so we are finally getting a good picture of how these fish actually do migrate. Yes, it was designed to track smolts and juveniles; however, with the recent updated technology it has been expended. They have the ability to track for approximately 3 years. Even when the battery dies, when the fish is recovered the transmitter is usually still there and still identifies where fish originated.

Back