Big Fish - Big Spoons or Plugs?

Stoisy

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on whether they prefer using larger spoons or plugs if they are targeting larger fish. The old adage of "big bait = big fish" still holds true for gear, but do you like spoons or plugs more? Obviously, cut plugs are the go-to method for the largest fish on the coast, but if you couldn't use bait, what would you choose? The season can't come soon enough!

Logic would seem to dictate the truth of the adage - big bait for big fish. However, in my 5 decades of experience I have caught big fish on tiny spoons and small plugs and vice versa - some tiny fish on spoons much bigger than the fish itself.

In my experience in salt and especially fresh water is to 'match the hatch' as much as possible. Find out what they are feeding on and match that as best you can whether that is big herring, tiny needlefish, certain color of squid, etc.

In regards to spoons and plugs, I fish spoons more as you can more easily fish different lures with spoons. With plugs it seems to work best if everyone on board fishes plugs as you usually go a bit slower to get proper action and this sometimes does not work well for some bait lures and hootchies.

Last edited:
However, in my 5 decades of experience I have caught big fish on tiny spoons and small plugs and vice versa - some tiny fish on spoons much bigger than the fish itself.

In my experience in salt and especially fresh water is to 'match the hatch' as much as possible. Find out what they are feeding on and match that as best you can whether that is big herring, tiny needlefish, certain color of squid, etc.
TOTALLY agree match the hatch last year alot of the bait was small and the AP 3 inch spoon was somedays outfishing the bait I was using.
Ill tell a story many many years ago at whitebeach in blackfish sound (knight inlet) these pilchers moved in HUGE we threw tubbys at em large tomics bait zip so I went into the guide shake and they had these really old about 8 to 9 inch spoons there but one side was glow , I figured being shallow 30 feet i wanted something shiney so i scraped off all the paint but left about 1/2 of that green on it went out that evening slammmed 4 nice ones . other guide were like what are you using!!!??? I yelled back ROYS WONDERSPOON Lol, im done back at lodge vac sealing fish fellow guides ok WTF!!!
I said sitting its on my seat, they go grab it throw it down in disbelief . I said im telling you the truth.
Next day they grab some but dont fish it first pas with atht spoon I nail one I laughed as they used that same spoon LOL
But it only worked with that huge bait that was there. lesson learned

size matters, but i love do taking part of the day and ripping large plugs on the basement.
also if we have been catching rats (small springs) too much, a large plug will fix that.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on whether they prefer using larger spoons or plugs if they are targeting larger fish. The old adage of "big bait = big fish" still holds true for gear, but do you like spoons or plugs more? Obviously, cut plugs are the go-to method for the largest fish on the coast, but if you couldn't use bait, what would you choose? The season can't come soon enough!
Always, unless i am in the shalows and struture where i need to match the hatch with smaller lures. i troll faster than the average angler too. 2.5 up to 6mph depending on tide or if fishing in a terminal zone in Aug, through Oct. then i go slower at times. I also jig more than troll now a days. i troll both spoons and plugs at the same time. which ever goes off first is what i switch out to. i rarely use flashers.

Always, unless i am in the shalows and struture where i need to match the hatch with smaller lures. i troll faster than the average angler too. 2.5 up to 6mph depending on tide or if fishing in a terminal zone in Aug, through Oct. then i go slower at times. I also jig more than troll now a days. i troll both spoons and plugs at the same time. which ever goes off first is what i switch out to. i rarely use flashers.
Interesting how you rarely use flashers. I only use dummy flashers off the downrigger balls, and we do fine. But the debate on that issue is fierce. Some guys agree with me that you catch just as well with dummy flashers and playing the fish without a flasher on the line is so much better. Other guys swear that inline flashers will always outfish dummies. I assume you do well without any flashers at all?

Interesting how you rarely use flashers. I only use dummy flashers off the downrigger balls, and we do fine. But the debate on that issue is fierce. Some guys agree with me that you catch just as well with dummy flashers and playing the fish without a flasher on the line is so much better. Other guys swear that inline flashers will always outfish dummies. I assume you do well without any flashers at all?
No flashers other than for use with hoochies, which I rarely use unless I am desperate. My cannon balls are my attractors. I was the very first person to offer glow coated cannonballs commercially in my lead business many, many, many years ago. I do at times use dodgers though, mostly as an actionizer as aposed to an attractor.

You’re only going to catch fish with what you put down there. Who is to say what’s “ doing well” when there are many other factors other than flasher use in play. Who knows maybe using a flasher might have doubled the amount of fish caught on some occasions ?
I say put out whatever you like and fish however you like.

When solo or out with people that rarely fish i almost always have one line set up with a larger solo spoon below a dummy and then a small spoon or hootchy on a short leader behind a flasher on the other side.

Typically the large spoon gets the bigger fish but I also always fish that as my inside rod, so I think that makes a difference too.

You’re only going to catch fish with what you put down there. Who is to say what’s “ doing well” when there are many other factors other than flasher use in play. Who knows maybe using a flasher might have doubled the amount of fish caught on some occasions ?
I say put out whatever you like and fish however you like.

When solo or out with people that rarely fish i almost always have one line set up with a larger solo spoon below a dummy and then a small spoon or hootchy on a short leader behind a flasher on the other side.

Typically the large spoon gets the bigger fish but I also always fish that as my inside rod, so I think that makes a difference too.
Of course people can use whatever (legal) gear they like: I wasn’t suggesting otherwise. Similarly, the variables that determine success at catching fish are numerous. But people offer their experiences and opinions about what works better than something else. And these experiences and opinions differ, unsurprisingly. It’s interesting to discuss and compare them, that’s all.

I agree with matching the hatch for the most part but when I’m fishing solo and only looking for quality fish amongst a lot of smalls I’ll sacrifice the chance for more action by dragging plugs at a faster speed than with flashers.

Back