Big Fish - Big Spoons or Plugs?

And, I'm sure you will remember with much fondness those pilchard years offshore - big plugs and tomic spoons were the go to ticket. Pilchards created lots of tyees in those days.
I do too, both offshore of ukee and Renfrew , still have lots of those plugs and spoons, they just don’t get used anymore

OK, match the hatch seems to be the biggest general point.

But, a hypothetical situation. You are taking part in a derby. You don't know what location is going to be chosen for the derby. You have to choose the lures (no bait) before you know where you are fishing, and you can't change those lures.

What are you putting down? @Aces Superiors? @terrin plugs? @PEETZoutdoors plugs? @wolf flasher/spoons? @searun big spoons?

What you got down there?

Well depends on area? if it was sooke where I know the baits generally smaller id be using a 3 to 5 inch herring or sandlance. where bigger bait is more, id be going a bigger spoon and of course it would be a AP TACKLEWORKS one as they work and are tough.
Last year up at knights it didnt matter everything was getting them and all size lures .

My personal choice when searching is always plugs and spoons, but I lean heavy on the plug side. If it was me, just for me, then I like to start and finish with plugs. I generally carry numerous sizes and colours of each. My colour options are ones that are proven all around the island. I only use Canada and USA made lures. I would obviously go heavy on what I make, PAL, Echonoline, PEETZ, KIKO. I am fully immersed in the TOMIC and Fishiator programs for plugs though. If we are jigging, then again I run my own creations. Cheers.

But, a hypothetical situation. You are taking part in a derby. You don't know what location is going to be chosen for the derby. You have to choose the lures (no bait) before you know where you are fishing, and you can't change those lures.

What are you putting down? @Aces Superiors? @terrin plugs? @PEETZoutdoors plugs? @wolf flasher/spoons? @searun big spoons?

What you got down there?

A flasher hootchie combo is probably the answer here in my opinion.

Catches fish year round including the bigs.

Not my favourite way to fish, but hard to argue with how versatile and productive it is.

What you got down there?
In a derby I’m only fishing for THE fish and that means plugs. My best ones have nicknames, lol.

Well depends on area? if it was sooke where I know the baits generally smaller id be using a 3 to 5 inch herring or sandlance. where bigger bait is more, id be going a bigger spoon and of course it would be a AP TACKLEWORKS one as they work and are tough.
Last year up at knights it didnt matter everything was getting them and all size lures .
Knights inlet? I thought that fishery was long gone. Haven't fished there for 20 years. Killer back then.

Knights inlet? I thought that fishery was long gone. Haven't fished there for 20 years. Killer back then.
Yes gone back to my roots and revisting the ol lodge where I started 35 years ago. As we have zero fishery in sooke now in june and start of july (reality) The fishing last couple of years have been better then the ol days smaller but sure is alot of them.

That's good to hear Wolf!!

Used to fish there in another lifetime! Had some great memories up there.

Then I worked on the coast/north island for 5 years and spent some time back up there. The area became a much more bear watching focus, especially on the spawning channel. I didn't hear that fishing was back.

Cheers

SS

And, I'm sure you will remember with much fondness those pilchard years offshore - big plugs and tomic spoons were the go to ticket. Pilchards created lots of tyees in those days.
Limits of tyees some days … some were reds

Last edited:
Back