Best Fillet Knife

MhBradley...

I've never fished the mainland for trout.

Ones I get here are usually 12 to 20 inches, with some in the 24 inch range........but the bigger ones I just cut into sections....and they still go in the large skillet.......:)

Not really a trout guy anyhow.........

I have the kirshaw its a crap knife in my opinion.... The steel material is:

"420J2 Stainless Steel: 420J Stainless with a little more carbon. It is sometimes used in dive knives because for its corrosion resistance. It is used in surgical instruments due to ease of machining and corrosion resistance. With proper heat treating can achieve a Rockwell test of 56; which makes it comparable to 420HC. It is often used in scissors. It is not a true tool steel. However, because it is used on making certain surgical tools some people will call it 420J2 tool steel in a less than scrupulous sales pitch."

I find doesn't hold edge well. I have surface rusting on mine.. When you look at these check out what the material is. This is a good comparison on blade metals..

http://apg2k.hegewisch.net/blade_steel.html

I am looking for new one right now...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have three samurai swords.. Maybe i will put them in the boat.. Would be great for choppin thru the p-cod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you use one of those bigger knifes you will never ever want to use one of the small ones agian,1 slice and your done

I've never had a problem with the Kershaw.......

But......it's cleaned wiped and dried after every use. And before I start a fish, any knife I've ever used is checked for sharpness with the fingernail test.

If in doubt it's sharpened.

I've never had a rust issue on any knife I ever used.

I Also bought a scotty knife sharpener the other day, great for in the boat , couple passes on that sucker n it's sharp enough for me..

Sharpening knives is a science......

I never liked those pull-through V-shaped gizmos they make where you just pull the knife through.......

Just an update... This is why i wanted a longer fillet knife.. All joking aside i am impressed with it so far...how do you like this little fillet ?? Not bad for a trout knife :)
4ema7yhu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the big eddy fillet knife, this was a fillet from my 21 lber yesterday, I cut the salmon bellies off for halibut /lingcod bait, then cut this fillet in 3 pieces n vacuum packed them, even though my fish is all vacuumed packed I still give the majority of it away to family and friends.. gave my 10 lber yesterday to a friend who couldn't make it out fishing this week...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
The blade on the Big eddy @ is 9.5 inches long, nice to have a knife long enough to fillet in one pass.., nothing going to waste, the carcass is frozen for crab bait now..

Very nice job on that fillet,Jeffy.That new knife looks like it's working just fine for ya.Looks like a marble by the picture.

Back