Skinny Ice Brook Trout Fishing

FishDoc

Warning and Caution to anyone watching this early ice fishing video for brook trout! Do not attempt travel on thin ice under the recommended thickness of 4 inches for foot travel. Even though thinner ice may support you, ice is unpredictable. One step may feel fine, and the next, you are plunging into the water. This is an all or none phenomenon, and once you go through the ice, there is no reversing the situation. When traveling on thin or early ice lakes, go prepared. You need to have your escape plan in tact before you go out. Carry ice picks on you to assist your exit. Stay calm and be ready to get wet. Stay shallow and go with a friend if you can. You may even want to invest in a floating suit or take a life vest. All depends on your comfort level an how likely you are to take a swim. With all the warnings of extreme caution needed when going onto very thin ice out of the way... lets talk about how this is actually done. Know your ice. White ice is soft and clear ice is hard. You'll need thicker white ice to support you than clear ice. If there is a lot of snow on the ice it is likely insulated and not freezing as fast. Clear ice that is open to the cold nights will freeze a lot faster and while it may seem scary to walk on, quite often you are safer on the clear stuff. Ice cracks... all the time. Even when it is 4 feet thick it still cracks. Ice can crack for various reasons like expansion or stress. If the ice is hard the cracks are usually quite loud. If the ice is soft and melting is probably isn't making much cracking and this may actually be the most dangerous ice. So don't associate ice cracking to ice safety. Go slow, watch and feel the ice as you move. Listen to it. Let it tell you what it's thinking. In the end the only way to gain experience is by going slow and playing it safe. I travel light. Leave my gear along the shore and only carry out what I need with me. Dress light and you can't leave all the extra gadgets at home. This isn't the season for tents, heaters and a whole set up. As you can see the ice sags and the water pours out on top. You're better off moving around to different holes then let the water continue to pour out onto the ice. If you have any other questions leave them in the comments below. Thank you for watching the video. I hope you enjoy it. If you did consider subscribing and sharing with a friend. God Bless Your Adventure and Good Luck Fishing!

Back