Best Fillet Knife

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

My frost is not sharp enough until I can shave with it, most of the hair is off of my forearms by the time the season is over.

This is not a personal grooming thread....please go start your own thread. [:p]

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

quote:Originally posted by Pippen

My frost is not sharp enough until I can shave with it, most of the hair is off of my forearms by the time the season is over.

sorry guys, Ill try harder next time..[V]

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by Pippen

sorry guys, Ill try harder next time..[V]

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Same as Fish I use a chefs knife 12 inch or 10 inch one cut right thru the bones with ease makes it very clean and no wasting of meat, thats how we did the many a fish at the lodge as well big knife very quick and fast can do a 25lb spring in about a 2 mins from gut to filet. ill get someone to take pics of my next fish and post.

good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Same as Fish I use a chefs knife 12 inch or 10 inch one cut right thru the bones with ease makes it very clean and no wasting of meat, thats how we did the many a fish at the lodge as well big knife very quick and fast can do a 25lb spring in about a 2 mins from gut to filet. ill get someone to take pics of my next fish and post.

good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

frosts are very good i also like the high carbon /nonstainless dexter russels nonstainless is way easier to sharpen to a razor edgehttp://www.dexter-russell.com/knowledge_base.asp?categories=2

lordofthesprings

quote:Originally posted by lordofthesprings

frosts are very good i also like the high carbon /nonstainless dexter russels nonstainless is way easier to sharpen to a razor edgehttp://www.dexter-russell.com/knowledge_base.asp?categories=2

lordofthesprings

X2 I use the dexter russel knifes. The 8in narrow is a versatile knife. The 8in wide is great for doing salmon.
I have found varying grades of steel in different batches though but for the most part they are great.

quote: I use a chefs knife 12 inch or 10 inch
Same as Roy, I use a 12" Tramontina (Brazilian steel) with a 1 1/2" width for filleting springs or large coho. I use 10" Schrade for filleting smaller fish like sockeye,coho and pinks. Finally I use a Frost for cleaning and trimming. The right tool for the right chore. I get the most satisfaction out of the 12" blade when it zings through those big pin bones like butter.
T2

quote:Originally posted by Tsquared

The right tool for the right chore.

Its like golfing :D

Lipripper....sliced through 3 mill/lbs + of fish.........yes I did figure that out [:p]

quote:Originally posted by finaddict

Buck has a good fillet knife as well
I bought one and it rusted the first day out on the boat. I mailed it back to them and they sent me another one that rusted right away. I mailed it back again and they sent me a pocket knife.

No one has commented on the Gerber with the sharpener built into the sheath. Any good?
The Frosts seem nice, but without a sheath, somebodies gonna be bleeding damn soon besides the fish!

I have a 12" Rapala fillet knife and a Normark 15" serated for basic gutting and removing fillets. For fine work I invested in a 20" Victorinox Lox blade. Its a fluted blade that is extremly flexible and has a round end just like an icing spatula. The blade itself is about 3/4" wide and can split hairs. She'll run you close to $200 but for taking out the rib cage in a single sweep I must say it is truly impressive! Fillets look store bought with no unsightly saw marks in the meat.

Can't go wrong with a Frosts Mora, long a standard tool for commercial boats and processing plants. I've used them for a long time. BUT...make sure that's what it is, the original Frosts made in Sweden for over 100 years. There is a new company that is ripping off the name, calling their knives "Frost". Apparently, this is very low end stuff from China. You know the steel is likely poor when they don't even identify it, further than "stainless", of which there are hundreds of types. Many stainless steels are unsuitable for good cutlery, but are used by some makers to keep costs low. A knife maker should tell you exactly what type of steel they use, such as Sandvik 12 C 27, as Frosts Mora uses.

I've had one of the Rapala knives with the wooden handle for probably 30+ years. A couple of weeks ago on close inspection, I noticed the blade had a number of nicks in it, so I filed it flat and got it back to razor sharp in a matter of minutes. Nothing better than a sharp knife!!!

Buddy of mine brought this knife along on a trip a few weeks back. Extremely sharp with a stiffer blade than the Rapala. However, the blade has to be "oiled" and started to corrode within the first day! http://www.knivesofalaska.com/catalog/prod_display.aspx?from=Fixed Blade Knives&cat=Coho

TenMile
<'((((><

quote:Originally posted by Derby

The Victorinox 10in Cimeter for fillets & the frost 6in with the SS Spoon -gets my vote :D

x2, best ever and runner up is the Frost, but only in the cleaning/gutting knife.

Searun

th_067.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Cedarstrip

No one has commented on the Gerber with the sharpener built into the sheath. Any good?
The Frosts seem nice, but without a sheath, somebodies gonna be bleeding damn soon besides the fish!

I was going to mention my Gerber as my favorite. The knife was a gift from a fishing client that he sent me from LA so don't know what they cost. The only problem with my Gerber is that the sharpening device inside the sheath has now snapped ( just the other day with all the sharpening due to all these sockeye!).

I also have Normark (sweden), CRKT Big Eddy(taiwan), Wellington Sword Northcraft( Japan) and Alfred Zanger( portugal).
The Alfred Zanger is a close second favourite . None have spoon and I don't care as I use a great little OR instrument for the kidney removal.

Back