Best Fillet Knife

Look at this old thread I dredged up with the forum search tool.... Best Fillet knife.. Sculpin and I were discussing this the other day then I snapped my J martin fillet knife so today while waiting for service a VW I went over the wholesale sports n picked up this one..26.99/ Big Eddy 2 Alaska Fillet 9.5 inch blade , it has a hollow taper side and a taper grind side . Hopefully it works well for makin fillets.. Love to hear what everyone else is using...IMG_4472[1].jpg

nane2u7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 words
Wenger swibo

Top one in pic is what we used to use......wife kvetched that is was too short for big salmon...

Now use a longer Kershaw in bottom of pic......

002.jpg

the one on the top is a J Martin, mine just broke when I was flexing the blade filleting the Halibut, the Kershaw was the other one I had in my hand & is pretty much the same as the one I bought

they look pretty good and swiss made is killer but for 100 bucks for the fillet knife...yikes

I get mine from Stuffers sausage supply just up the road, I think it was about 40$, cuts the fillet so nice off the rack,
done many fish with it and only ever hit the blade with a steel, never had to have it resharpened yet

Hey if Russ Kommer says its the best knife then its the best knife ok???

I use a Dexter. As the name suggests its a killer.

from the knives I was choosing it seemed to be the best, I could probably go to a cooking store n find a better one no doubt...Also im not surprised that you found it cheaper somewhere else Ukie, when I came home from Wholesale sports I realized they charged me 8.98 a piece for 1 lb jigging weights.. just when I though I liked the place again...

You must only fish for trout on the island :D

They get big in the interior and the fillets smoke very nicely.

Jeffy use whatever your comfortable with, as long as it holds an edge your golden, it all comes down to personal preference and you will probably get 100 diff opinions.
The main thing to remember is a dull knife will cause problems and a potential loss of blood, keep it nice and sharp, for that matter invest in a good steel and any knife can get the job done nicely
Tim

Back