ATTENTION: JOIN THE WAR ON FISHFARMING!

Um young coho and chinook eat young pink salmon smolt

who cares if there food source is gone so they start off even more behinde the eight ball

yep yes sir

I know some people that run water taxi up there they make trips from Tsawataineuk First Nation village to Port Mcneil or Port Hardy and back, people form the salmon coast research staton and for the people who actuaily live around the community of Echo bay. They ferry supplys if needed into the 8 or so marina resort in the area also.but I do not know about the people from the fish farms around there I will have to ask them.

How about we look at how many sealice the DFO allows the farmed salmon to get before the start treating the fish and figure out a way to solve the problem on both sides I.E. MOVE the fish farms out of the migration routes and or better yet move to a closed containment system. I know the U.S. is going to get into the fish farming buisness here by 2017. Farming 3 to 200 miles offshore. We can send a monkey into outer space, land on the moon, and send probes to the outer limits of our solar system but we can't figure out how to move to a closed contament system. I call BS.

I am one miserable POS on a night shift right now, but the more i read the more confused i get.How much revenue does the Sportsfishing industy generate per year? More than farms? I remember a documentry on TV about three years back that hosted various Biologists hard facts, research and reports on the effects of fishfarms in our coastal waters.I posted some info about it as well. It was simplified to the point that a monkey to understand the devestation caused by sea lice on smolts, pollution etc.

Now for three years this topic comes and goes with one result, more fish farms popping up yearly in remote locations away from the general publics prying eyes.I don't get it. Why not place them in one of the many clearcuts situated beside the devestated and now devoid fishless island streams.

And the sad fact remains indefinite that this once "renewable" resource is never going to be as it were even five years ago...or yesterday for that matter. The time has come where i feel guilty taking a fish home to the table[xx(]

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/editorial/story.html?id=f8ef35ae-a09d-4738-8c4a-589864473b00

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/12/13/tech-salmonfarm-lice.html

http://www.raincoastresearch.org/pdf/Scientists_on_Sea_Lice.pdf

Howdy,

Thanks Tailspin. Great input.

I've just sent off a letter to Stephen Hume (Vancouver Sun); pre-curser to feature article I will soon write... I hope.

I've been re-thinking suggestions made to me to post on 'other' sites/forums to alert more of our Sportfishing bretheren to our cause. I agree that would be a good thing if more jump on board, even before we have our first meeting.

So... I'm wide open to any suggestions from you people as to where and what other 'fishing-forums' would be good to get the WORD out?

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

We stand at: 40

'Sink-the-fishfarmers!'

Cheers,
Terry

Anyone writing to any Government Officials or Newspaper Editors, Journalists, etc. If you want to be taken seriously, write snail mail, make sure you spell-check for errors before sending. Try to keep the letters as brief as possible and to the point. Always end by saying that you “look forward to their reply”. Make sure you include your full name and address and telephone no. I have found that e-mails don’t work for me, nor do faxes. Just something to consider.

If you are against open-pen salmon farming and feel strongly about what is happening then please do write to your elected officials and tell them that you won’t vote for them at election time if they continue supporting open-pen fish farming.

Howdy,

I'm canvasing the 'Fish BC' forum. Seems like the member potential has been exhausted at Sportfishing BC.com

No new members today.

Anyone got any other idea's to get the word out about our initiative, I would appreciate the help.

Cheers,
Terry

You can count me in Terry. If there was ever a more destructive system in place to legally wipe out fish then I can't think of it. Let's go guys and girls, lets make a difference.

LH, how about we run an ad in the Times Colonist? And in the Island Angler? Laying out what we think and asking for moral support etc... I am sure many members of our alliance would chip $5 each to pay for such an ad...

I’m a bit disappointed that this thread has had more than 2500 hits and only 40 or so of us have bothered to join the fight, and others are too complacent to try to do something to put a stop to probably the biggest threat that wild salmon are ever going to face. If we can’t all work together on this, what chance do we have to persuade others to help us. If we do nothing, I believe the wild Pacific salmon could be totally wiped out within the next decade or so. That would make the salmon farming industry very happy indeed. We need to be 400 strong not 40.

Howdy,

Amen Gallows.

I too in the past have been guilty of complacency and being apathetic to the point of stillness.

Not any more though. This whole business and the prospect that our Government and the fishfarmers are selling our beloved Wild-Salmon 'down-the-river' scares the hell out of me.

I'm counting myself among those who ARE going to do something about it.

Seven new members from the 'FishBC'/Forum today.

The 'Alliance' stands at: 47

Cheers,
Terry

quote:Originally posted by chris73

LH, how about we run an ad in the Times Colonist? And in the Island Angler? Laying out what we think and asking for moral support etc... I am sure many members of our alliance would chip $5 each to pay for such an ad...

I'm in for 100.00 terry. Just let me know.

Howdy,

Thanks Gimp. You and many others have offered money towards this cause and who knows, maybe some future course of action will require that we generate some funds.

For now, this group has no Treasurer and since it's a non-profit outfit, I'm not keen on taking or holding anyone's cash. (I've developed a strong distaste for many so-called 'environmental groups' - out to save the animals/planet/trees etc. and when you peel back the veneer they all reveal themselves as big 'cash-grabbing' machines.)

I've posted on two other Fishing/Forums and we're getting a little more action.

Have a rough-draft done for a newspaper article. Will try to polish it up this weekend.

Good news - we busted 50!</u>

The 'Alliance' stands at: 51

Cheers,
Terry

Howdy Sven,

Perhaps - as an industry supporter/worker/farm-owner - you do find our little band of Sportfisherman rallying against the likes' of you amusing.

Yet, I would encourage you to look ahead and decide what your 'next' line of work will be. Because I can assure you unequivocally, Sir, if you decide to stay in our Province you will soon discover that 'fishfarming' was added the list of EXTINCT CANADIAN BUSINESS'S.

You will also discover then, as you look back to this time, that it was indeed the Sportfisherman of British Columbia who dealt the industry its final blow.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

The 'Alliance' stands at: 52

Terry Anderson

The BC Sportfisherman's Alliance[/u]

Back