April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

YES but you do your business on the west side anyways so its really a mute point isnt it!!!!
No actually, I start my season here...thats gone. So lost a portion of the season. And, it isn't the point. No matter where we like to fish or do business we are stronger by working together and should avoid tossing one group under the bus to make a point. I appreciate that what was intended did not happen...the reporter really screwed up. Was only hoping to see the guys who organized the media event perhaps reach out to the reporter to ask her to try to make it right...that's all. Somehow you are trying to make this an us vs them issue...its not.

And on a positive note....did you notice the Federal budget included an investment of $647 million over 5 years for salmon recovery. Also of note the Province of BC is about to make a similar announcement in today's budget. Amazing. Think of the possibilities if these investments actually go towards some of the stated objectives....like

1) investment in research

2) new hatchery facilities

3) habitat restoration

Wow - possible game changer! Don't sell your boat just yet.

Here's an update from the SFI:

FEDERAL BUDGET 2021
While we wait, the 2021 Federal Budget was announced yesterday and included some important and positive details regarding funding and actions for the Pacific region and for salmon.

The following is an excerpt from the federal budget presented by the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, the Honourable Chrystia Freeland;

Preserving Wild Pacific Salmon
Since the early 1990s, Pacific salmon stocks have declined by up to 93 per cent. Wild Pacific salmon are facing threats from climate change, contaminants, and changes in land and water use. The protection and recovery of wild Pacific salmon stocks is a priority for the federal government. Action is needed to protect and recover this iconic species—for thousands of workers in rural and coastal communities, and hundreds of First Nations communities in British Columbia and Yukon that fish salmon for food, social, and ceremonial reasons. Building on previous investments of $246.3 million to enable salmon passage in the Fraser River following the Big Bar landslide:

Budget 2021 proposes to provide $647.1 million over five years, starting in 2021-22, with $98.9 million in remaining amortization to Fisheries and Oceans Canada to:
Stabilize and conserve wild Pacific salmon populations, including through investment in research, new hatchery facilities, and habitat restoration.
Create a Pacific Salmon Secretariat and Restoration Centre of Expertise.
Improve management of commercial and recreational fisheries.
Double the British Columbia Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund with an additional $100 million.
Further engage with First Nations and fish harvesters.

And on a positive note....did you notice the Federal budget included an investment of $647 million over 5 years for salmon recovery.

How much of that is "new" money, and simply not a rehash of what they have previously committed?

Wondering...
Nog

And on a positive note....did you notice the Federal budget included an investment of $647 million over 5 years for salmon recovery. Also of note the Province of BC is about to make a similar announcement in today's budget. Amazing. Think of the possibilities if these investments actually go towards some of the stated objectives....like

3) habitat restoration

FEDERAL BUDGET 2021
While we wait, the 2021 Federal Budget was announced yesterday and included some important and positive details regarding funding and actions for the Pacific region and for salmon.

The following is an excerpt from the federal budget presented by the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, the Honourable Chrystia Freeland;

Since the early 1990s, Pacific salmon stocks have declined by up to 93 per cent. Wild Pacific salmon are facing threats from climate change, contaminants, and changes in land and water use. The protection and recovery of wild Pacific salmon stocks is a priority for the federal government. Action is needed to protect and recover this iconic species—for thousands of workers in rural and coastal communities, and hundreds of First Nations communities in British Columbia and Yukon that fish salmon for food, social, and ceremonial reasons. Building on previous investments of $246.3 million to enable salmon passage in the Fraser River following the Big Bar landslide:

Budget 2021 proposes to provide $647.1 million over five years, starting in 2021-22, with $98.9 million in remaining amortization to Fisheries and Oceans Canada to:
Stabilize and conserve wild Pacific salmon populations, including through investment in research, new hatchery facilities, and habitat restoration.
Double the British Columbia Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund with an additional $100 million.
It’s good news but let’s hope a good portion of it actually makes it into the water and not sucked up in bureaucratic BS.

3) habitat restoration

FEDERAL BUDGET 2021

It’s nice to have hope but I do not believe a word coming out of the mouth of this government. One lie after the next. Remember the promise about fish farms? Oh well what’s one lie after the next after the next.

It’s nice to have hope but I do not believe a word coming out of the mouth of this government. One lie after the next. Remember the promise about fish farms? Oh well what’s one lie after the next after the next.
What else is there but hope...at least both the Federal and Provincial governments are recognizing there is a Salmon crisis. First step is acknowledging there is a problem. Glass is half full. And we can still fish. Catch & release is still fishing. Lingcod and halibut are still open. There are areas where the data supports the risk of encountering stocks of concern is minimal. We need more and improved data to continue the effort to find more areas and times where stocks of concern are not encountered and fishery risk is low. Meanwhile, governments are listening and realize we need to address productivity declines. And let's also not scare away the public - we need people engaged in our fishery for it to thrive.

Like clockwork every year around this time the sports industry pivots from the doom and gloom in the fall to we are open for business and it’s all good.

I get it the IFMP lobby time is over and now it’s time to get customers.

We do seem to be going down the same old same old path.

I’m sure having everyone go fish the inside 1nm limit along with a court defined five nation fishery will turn out well.

Canada played the only card it had....lock down social contacts. Once you fail at securing vaccines that's all you really have. Scare the crap out of the population to keep them in line long enough for your lackluster approach to securing vaccines. The right thing to do actually was to close down all air travel internationally unless passengers had pre-boarding covid tests confirming they are covid free...and even then, 2 week quarantine before being allowed to move around. There's a lot Canada could have done better, but I agree that our efforts to limit social contacts and spread paid off...but the facts don't support your conclusion that Canada performed better than the US. Don't be influenced by the relative large numbers from the US as compared to Canada - our population base is significantly smaller. Doesn't excuse the ****** leadership - we will be paying for the economic consequences of this for generations.

Deaths per 100,000:

UK - 2.9%
US - 1.8%
Canada - 2.3%
100% Agree! With a family member working for CTV, no media will touch Trudeau and his massive dingus bungle of the vaccine rollout and massive dingushead mistake not closing cross continent flights down. We have a massive problem and are the worst first world country. With a die hard liberal media deflecting any fault to our leader, we're hooped. Oooops, politics.

Nanaimo fishing was great thursday - friday, many nice fish released in the 5-8 pound category. Thanks again to Trudeau DFO for closing a healthy fishery for optic purposes.

Peace.

Like clockwork every year around this time the sports industry pivots from the doom and gloom in the fall to we are open for business and it’s all good.

I get it the IFMP lobby time is over and now it’s time to get customers.

We do seem to be going down the same old same old path.

I’m sure having everyone go fish the inside 1nm limit along with a court defined five nation fishery will turn out well.

Omg. At least people will be fishing. Who says things are fine bud? your kidding right?

I guess your solution is just closing everything. Great plan.

Last edited:
Omg. At least people will be fishing. Who says things are fine bud? your kidding right?

I guess your solution is just closing everything. Great plan.
The reality is basically the entire Salish Sea is closed to retention of Chinook till July 15th or August 1st. The bottom fishing scenario is far from getting excited as an angler and it is something the guiding community can not fall back on. The CTV story was a decent retraction that will be good to support businesses and communities on the West Coast that rely on tourists from Canada and the world to come and visit. For the 3 million people that live close to Georgia Strait and JDF, there is no opportunity as of April 21st. Pressure should be maintained to support the majority of the coast that is closed. Retention salmon fishing is turning into a luxury for people that have a boat to fish the West Coast or people that can afford guided trips for the majority of the peak season.

Good to push and support opportunity, but the hyper focus needs to continue to be on ways to engage politicians and get the attention of the fishing community and general public to care. There really is crumbs of opportunity for a good portion of the peak season on the South Coast. No Bueno.

The reality is basically the entire Salish Sea is closed to retention of Chinook till July 15th or August 1st. The bottom fishing scenario is far from getting excited as an angler and it is something the guiding community can not fall back on. The CTV story was a decent retraction that will be good to support businesses and communities on the West Coast that rely on tourists from Canada and the world to come and visit. For the 3 million people that live close to Georgia Strait and JDF, there is no opportunity as of April 21st. Pressure should be maintained to support the majority of the coast that is closed. Retention salmon fishing is turning into a luxury for people that have a boat to fish the West Coast or people that can afford guided trips for the majority of the peak season.

Good to push and support opportunity, but the hyper focus needs to continue to be on ways to engage politicians and get the attention of the fishing community and general public to care. There really is crumbs of opportunity for a good portion of the peak season on the South Coast. No Bueno.

I am in Area 17 not sure why your preaching to me. All I said at least there are some places to go if someone wants. I am not sitting my area and being depressed. What good does that do?

I think we need to shift some focus onto the scenario about public fishery as opposed to the business side. Not saying the business side is not important or doesn’t deserve attention, just saying for most Canadians the loss of jobs no longer seems to be a concern. The “ well the government will bail them out and they can retrain” seems to be the mantra of the public, largely due to ENGO input. People react to things that might impact them, this needs to be emphasized to the public and politicians. The average Canadian is losing , not just businesses.

The fact ordinary Canadians are slowly loosing access to an outdoor family activity Is IMO being lost. I appreciate the work the guiding community is doing but in order to get the Public behind us we need to get the message out about the vast number of anglers who fish as a family outing etc.

We can as individuals make a difference, face it if the Minister was to receive 300,000 angry emails from potential voters, in what is likely an election year, she has to take notice. I intend to keep writing and tell the powers to be, how this impacts me, my kids and grandkids. We have to keep up the pressure and come at them from multiple directions.

Agree with most of what you say.. Especial the slow eroded access to the outdoor fishing experience being lost .. understanding of course the messenging is that we are still open to fish and there are retention fishery available and that there bussines that need to be support..To un informed public it makes it look like there is no fishing.. The island and smaller communitys on the island need that support right now . :)

I am in Area 17 not sure why your preaching to me. All I said at least there are some places to go if someone wants. I am not sitting my area and being depressed. What good does that do?
Didn't mean to make it a quote. Was a statement in general and not directed at you. Things in general for the majority of the population is not good and the outlook is not good either.

I think we need to shift some focus onto the scenario about public fishery as opposed to the business side. Not saying the business side is not important or doesn’t deserve attention, just saying for most Canadians the loss of jobs no longer seems to be a concern. The “ well the government will bail them out and they can retrain” seems to be the mantra of the public, largely due to ENGO input. People react to things that might impact them, this needs to be emphasized to the public and politicians. The average Canadian is losing , not just businesses.

The fact ordinary Canadians are slowly loosing access to an outdoor family activity Is IMO being lost. I appreciate the work the guiding community is doing but in order to get the Public behind us we need to get the message out about the vast number of anglers who fish as a family outing etc.

We can as individuals make a difference, face it if the Minister was to receive 300,000 angry emails from potential voters, in what is likely an election year, she has to take notice. I intend to keep writing and tell the powers to be, how this impacts me, my kids and grandkids. We have to keep up the pressure and come at them from multiple directions.

Exactly.. the angling population base from a saltwater perspective around the Salish Sea and along the Fraser River have gotten destroyed in recent years. 3 million or more people less than 50 miles from the ocean and the Fraser and a brutal outlook with politics playing a huge role in the destruction of access. Nice that a few pocket areas are open on the West Coast, but unless you have money, the average angler in BC is in a brutal position. Need to find a united front that supports the general population to access the fishery for recreation and fun.

Agree with most of what you say.. Especial the slow eroded access to the outdoor fishing experience being lost .. understanding of course the messenging is that we are still open to fish and there are retention fishery available and that there bussines that need to be support..To un informed public it makes it look like there is no fishing.. The island and smaller communitys on the island need that support right now . :)
I get that part and I can see why the business side is impacted and would like clarification to keep operations going. Not trying to discount the message you wish to hear, but I think we also have to be careful or this will become a real opportunity for those who want to silence the South Coast by simply saying there is an option for them, they just choose not to take it. Currently lots of anglers on the South Coast, last thing we want is for them to be silenced! We need numbers to gain any kind of ground and we need to be careful how we message the public, we also need be aware that closures down South will spread eventually it’s how the cancel culture works. Anyway just how I see it.

Back