April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

Conservation solution: Everyone should pay the same price sporties do for their salmon. You would see demand drop like a stone when a can of salmon was $100.

Conservation solution: Everyone should pay the same price sporties do for their salmon. You would see demand drop like a stone when a can of salmon was $100.

if the gov really cared about chinook salmon, they would make more of an impact if they reduced quotas for the "other" 2 sectors who take in hundreds if not thousands of chinooks in during each harvest. Instead they pick on the group who wants access to 1 or 2 damn salmon and the ability to enjoy that experience with their family and friends.

But I get it....gov and dfo are cowards who cant make difficult decisions becuase they are terrified of the reprocussions of making those difficult decisons that would actually make a real impact.

Searun dont get your knickers in a knot !!! just be greatfull your area isnt closed!!!! This was a great video , we need to get more of these out there like this as its real, Searun sorry your upset but most areas are closed at least you can still run your business and have the ability to retain a salmon, south island is CLOSED, The reaches of the Fraser are CLOSED, We should be fighting these closures , not whining about areas that are open. looking out over the straights this am, calm seas not a boat out there , the marina is dead. Its a real shame as a sports fisherman we cant stand together , clearly not the case as we are now starting to see where the the priority's fall, Completely agree with fish brains statement as a everyday fisherman we have little or no voice.
I take no issue with trying to bring attention to the issues facing many areas that are under closures. I've personally invested a great deal of time working to help advance the SFAB proposals. We all need to work together, but tossing other areas under the bus to advance a sensationalized story is just plain wrong. There's been a lot of damage done and while I'm sure well meaning on the part of those who organized the media event, the downstream carnage is a great way to fracture our community. Just saying.

Somewhat misleading video; especially when they say that last summer anglers were ONLY able to retain 2 Chinook - like it hasn't been that way for decades?
As for the gloom & doom portion, saw the same happen in WA over 30 years ago; about 90% of the Westport Charter fleet is gone with the remaining boats heavily dependent on bottom fish/Tuna; where are all the boathouses that lined the shore south of Campbell River, Oak Bak Marine group, the list is getting longer.

That was a horrible story to be honest - the reporter botched it stating the ENTIRE coast of BC was closed, when in fact many areas are open to full limits of Chinook. The harm this has caused eroding the confidence of customers who were either planning trips to or booked trips to areas like Barkley, Nootka or Quatsino Sounds is impossible to measure. (all those areas are open BTW to full limits)

The stuff I'm seeing posted on FB etc from people who actually think the entire coast is closed is crazy. We are having a hard enough time rebuilding confidence in the shadow of Covid, and now this story. A lot of guys are fuming. I heard from one guy today who's contacting his lawyer.

Not at all helpful - harmful beyond measure.
I agree what the reporter said was incorrect and harmful. What Gord Martin and Chris Bos said was correct and helpful. The reporter screwed up not Martin and Bos. We should get CHEK News to do a retraction on the wrong info as it is very harmful to the rest of the coast public fishery.

I take no issue with trying to bring attention to the issues facing many areas that are under closures. I've personally invested a great deal of time working to help advance the SFAB proposals. We all need to work together, but tossing other areas under the bus to advance a sensationalized story is just plain wrong. There's been a lot of damage done and while I'm sure well meaning on the part of those who organized the media event, the downstream carnage is a great way to fracture our community. Just saying.
Don't see how it fractures anything thing - unless people purposely make up their own minds to do so?

Martin and Bos simply stated what was happening to the areas 19 and 20 for what most likely will be the 3rd year in a row. If this continues the damage done to the public fishery and the businesses that rely on them will be devastating!

The reporter screwed up with saying the whole coast was closed - not Martin and Bos. They just stated how areas 19-20 and the Victoria Sooke areas are really hurting - nothing incorrect or fractious about raising the profile of this fact.

If folks have problems with this story take it up with the reporter that got the facts wrong!

Don't see how it fractures anything thing - unless people purposely make up their own minds to do so?

Martin and Bos simply stated what was happening to the areas 19 and 20 for what most likely will be the 3rd year in a row. If this continues the damage done to the public fishery and the businesses that rely on them will be devastating!

The reporter screwed up with saying the whole coast was closed - not Martin and Bos. They just stated how areas 19-20 and the Victoria Sooke areas are really hurting - nothing incorrect or fractious about raising the profile of this fact.

If folks have problems with this story take it up with the reporter that got the facts wrong!
Well then perhaps seeing how this played out, they could circle back to the reporter and insist she correct it. After all they put the ball in motion which has resulted in a lot of turmoil.

OMG searun it was the reporters fault as I KNOW for a fact they spelled it out perfectly before hand, if its such a problem maybe YOU get in touch with chek and ask them to a report how lucky you guys really have it being totally untouched and your business hasn't suffered in the last 12 years! with closures and such!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEN you can say IN OUR area we can keep what we want, fish when we want, and full limits any size limit!!!!!!!!!!!!.. YOU HAVE IT pretty damn good up there and 1 lil newscast and now your saying its hurting..... well welcome to the club then . You now how hard it is for us down here ??? probably not as its not your area!!!! try selling a fishing trip to someone who calls... here is how most conversation goes for me now!!!
Caller: is salmon open?
Me: NO
Caller : whens it going to be open?
Me: well hopefully august 1 for retention But I dont know as there hasnt been a announcement yet??BUT you can do C & R
Caller: So when will you know???But Why do C&R when I cant keep a fish to eat???
Me : well I really dont know as its the Government , And yes i understand that...

Get it yet???YEAH you guys up there are sssssoooooo hard done by, I wish I had you're problems to deal with there...

Tell you what Bring your boat down here for a few weeks Ill house you and feed you set you up with trips and see what its REALLY like....when you have to "measure" a fish let a really nice one go and 1 IF WE AE LUCKY but who knows??

I know SFI and such has a policy now not to "upset" DFO as well you know the reasons why... NO ONE has stepped up and said a word re fishing here in our area..WE WANT answers and nothing has been done ..and yeah you can say well there is stuff going on behind closed doors etc but the sportfishermen in our area want answers we are tired and grumpy and honestly at wits end. So we fought back big deal Gord did a great job of putting the facts and the truths out and good on him. We should be thanking these guys not roasting them....for speaking up....

Last edited:
Maybe you should fact check your self before you start shooting your mouth off wolf :( but not surprised that you dont sadly

Well Wolf, I hope you have a nice day. No point getting all worked up over a simple request for the folks who put this story into the media's hands to man up and fix it. I've already sent a letter to the reporter, as have several others. My point is any time you go to the media its important to have a thorough backgrounder the reporter can refer to so they get the facts correct - otherwise there's a risk something like this can happen - so when that happens, all I'm saying is they need to do the right thing to get it fixed. I didn't start this train wreck.

And, BTW I never once said the situation in areas like yours and others isn't a very bad one. The objective is for all of us to work together. But if you want to be a lone wolf and handle it on your own that's fine too. Divided we fall.

Explain to EVERYBODY how he is shooting his mouth off !!! , Lets be grown up men here, at least WOLF speaks the truth !!! seems there are more people worried about an open area for retention INSTEAD OF THE AREAS THAT ARE CLOSED !!! that is embarrassing and unacceptable. Finally the closed areas gets some air time about what these poor businesses are going through, and this is what our so called leadership comes up with.?? Absolutely shocked !!!!. not going to repeat what people are saying !! If any thing good has come out of this it defiantly has shown where the priority's lie. Granted you are all under a lot of pressure with the proposal submitted but under good leadership WE should not wavier if confident about what we put forth .
Sure not looking that way right now is it , great way to bring anglers together. Do we really want to go after the media and **** them off so they wont help us get the message out ?? we are never going to win the battle unless business start to realize this effects them also , we need all the help we can get . Volunteer's or not you are in a leadership position which effects the rest of us . We don't always have to agree but there has to be respect and it clearly not there!!! Remember when teams are not performing do they remove the players ??

Explain to EVERYBODY how he is shooting his mouth off !!! , Lets be grown up men here, at least WOLF speaks the truth !!! seems there are more people worried about an open area for retention INSTEAD OF THE AREAS THAT ARE CLOSED !!! that is embarrassing and unacceptable. Finally the closed areas gets some air time about what these poor businesses are going through, and this is what our so called leadership comes up with.?? Absolutely shocked !!!!. not going to repeat what people are saying !! If any thing good has come out of this it defiantly has shown where the priority's lie. Granted you are all under a lot of pressure with the proposal submitted but under good leadership WE should not wavier if confident about what we put forth .
Sure not looking that way right now is it , great way to bring anglers together. Do we really want to go after the media and **** them off so they wont help us get the message out ?? we are never going to win the battle unless business start to realize this effects them also , we need all the help we can get . Volunteer's or not you are in a leadership position which effects the rest of us . We don't always have to agree but there has to be respect and it clearly not there!!! Remember when teams are not performing do they remove the players ??
The job is yours....it pays really well.

I agree a lot of areas are closed or have some kind of closures which effects us all , and that is where our efforts and energy should be going not worrying about the news outlet miss quote. Searun it would be a loss to our process, but maybe it is time for change . You and i both know it has nothing to do with payment it has to the love of saltwater fishing which at the end of the day has been destroyed as we are allowing divide and conquer, by the time we all closed down there will be no one left to fight , most have already given up which is a tragedy .

I agree a lot of areas are closed or have some kind of closures which effects us all , and that is where our efforts and energy should be going not worrying about the news outlet miss quote. Searun it would be a loss to our process, but maybe it is time for change . You and i both know it has nothing to do with payment it has to the love of saltwater fishing which at the end of the day has been destroyed as we are allowing divide and conquer, by the time we all closed down there will be no one left to fight , most have already given up which is a tragedy .
Over to you...volunteer jobs are always up for grabs.

Well Wolf, I hope you have a nice day.
I had a great day thanks for asking . Hope you did the same

What I said is the truth try being in my shoes trust me you wouldnt like it. but ts ok I get it Ive tried for many years to play "nice" and where has it got us ...we know the answer I have always given many of you guys credit but when your wrong on something You know ill say something, Ive given up all hope with the process and again I praise Gord and Chris saying something , U guys apparently dont get that part, as you can still run a business anyway you like in the "open" areas

Back