April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

You know what man. I do a lot. I volunteer at my local hatchery. I helped transplant a half million chinooks into the sviac net pen. I helped release 15k coho into my local stream. I walk my local stream every fricken day. My girl is a stream keeper. I’m pretty sure my money/effort/time is better spent elsewhere. Sorry but that is where I’m at these days

I’m pretty sure my money/effort/time is better spent elsewhere. Sorry but that is where I’m at these days
no, please don’t loose hope. I spend a ton of volunteering hours at my local hatchery, my kids also join when they don’t have school. DFO has f...ed up our fisheries, no question there but if it wasn’t for your efforts and hundreds of people like you, there wouldn’t be much left in the system for us to even argue with DFO about. Not many people understand and appreciate your hard work but this is still work that needs to be done and we can’t afford to throw in the towel right now. This is frustrating as hell but we gotta have to push the bureaucrats to do the right things and also leave something behind for our kids and theirs. That’s how I see it.

no, please don’t loose hope. I spend a ton of volunteering hours at my local hatchery, my kids also join when they don’t have school. DFO has f...ed up our fisheries, no question there but if it wasn’t for your efforts and hundreds of people like you, there wouldn’t be much left in the system for us to even argue with DFO about. Not many people understand and appreciate your hard work but this is still work that needs to be done and we can’t afford to throw in the towel right now. This is frustrating as hell but we gotta have to push the bureaucrats to do the right things and also leave something behind for our kids and theirs. That’s how I see it.
I’m not giving up on salmon. I just think these mass showings of 200k sport fishing boats didn’t do a damn thing. It was kinda fun cruising the inner harbour in a huge flotilla but did it do anything? Don“t think so.

I’m not giving up on salmon. I just think these mass showings of 200k sport fishing boats didn’t do a damn thing. It was kinda fun cruising the inner harbour in a huge flotilla but did it do anything? Don“t think so.
You're 100% right. A really good protest would be everyone bringing their kids to a superstore with fishing rods and trying to catch fillets out of the coolers.

Well, I heard from an FN buddy that he’s heard rumours things are gonna open earlier than we think. Maybe wishful thinking but I think during COVID that would be the least the Feds could do.

I think it will be accepted myself. I am optimistic. I believe this is why it is taking so long.

Most likely DFO is doing assessment of how to counter any lawsuits by MCC, or problems with FN. Maybe I am wrong but that is how I see it in this case. I would like the minister for once to push back on environmental groups, and stop caving in each time they threaten legal action.

I would be suprised it was flat out no.

I think it will be accepted myself. I am optimistic. I believe this is why it is taking so long.

Most likely DFO is doing assessment of how to counter any lawsuits by MCC, or problems with FN. Maybe I am wrong but that is how I see it in this case. I would like the minister for once to push back on environmental groups, and stop caving in each time they threaten legal action.

I would be suprised it was flat out no.

everything you wrote makes sense, sounds reasonable, logical, and is what is to be expected out of the minister. However, I dont forsee any positive news. its probably taking this long because DFO is likely having talks with the other stakeholders(minus our group) on what crumbs we get. The other stakeholders are obviously greedy as hell and dont want to even throw crumbs our way.

In my experience, whether it be a business, Political or a personal situation, delayed annoucements where I am not involved in the talks ....it always turns out bad. I am a realist. Not going to be thinking pie in the sky to give me and my children false hopes..just to be stomped on and once again screwed over this year...

Anyone have any insight to when a decision will be made? I think I saw Jason from PA say something about it being made this week?

who knows she's seems to be on a budget pushing tour.

Like SV I expect most of the SFAB proposal will be accepted. Area 17, 28 and JDF tho do to their proximity to the fraser river and politicalness/First Nation stuff around that, have imo the harder chance of being approved. There has been now letters from MPs. Letters from the Province and a good support from many others pushing the government to accept it. I think it will be extremely difficult for them to flat out reject all that pressure.

Not saying the areas i mentioned don't have a chance imo its 50/50 as we have the data and science on our side.

That said the SFAB proposal is far from ideal and pretty much life support to keep the lights on. I also think a MSF is the future and probably a forgone conclusion its just a matter of time a long time because they are not going to clip all chinook this year so we would still be like 4 years out from that if they started ASAP.

Also broadly speaking we do need to find ways to work together because we are losing a lot of access and opportunity. Yes some things are still open but i don't think pushing vancouver anglers to fishing for lingcod and rockfish in Area 17 is a long term sustainable solution. Or pushing ECVI fishermen over to Fish WCVI a solution eather. No reason why the bar fishermen on the fraser should not get access to summer 4-1 chinook or the new bank angler on the fraser cant have access to a pink fishery that has no chance of catching a sockeye. Likewise there's no good reason why we can't have a MSF in the JDF where there is ample marked fish available. There not a whole lot of reason why ECVI should be stuck with no retention till july 15 and then a slot till august given their impact on stocks of concern. point is there's areas close to where every lives where there can be some sort of access achieved.

Also broadly speaking we do need to find ways to work together because we are losing a lot of access and opportunity. Yes some things are still open but i don't think pushing vancouver anglers to fishing for lingcod and rockfish in Area 17 is a long term sustainable solution. Or pushing ECVI fishermen over to Fish WCVI a solution eather. No reason why the bar fishermen on the fraser should not get access to summer 4-1 chinook or the new bank angler on the fraser cant have access to a pink fishery that has no chance of catching a sockeye. Likewise there's no good reason why we can't have a MSF in the JDF where there is ample marked fish available. There not a whole lot of reason why ECVI should be stuck with no retention till july 15 and then a slot till august given their impact on stocks of concern. point is there's areas close to where every lives where there can be some sort of access achieved.
Because you speak of "COMMOM SENSE" and thats not what the guys making the decisions do, IF they based it on the data thats already been put forth the clipping, the impact we WOULD be fishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread started on March 29. It is now April 28 and DFO has not issued any information on a fishing plan for 2021. They did inform us in the third week of March that we could now purchase a new license for the 2021 fishing season and were happy to take our money, but at this point we have nowhere on the southern coast, to actually catch and retain a chinook, so what is the point? They have effectively shut down the whole south coast for a month, while we all sit on our hands and patiently wait for them to possibly hand us a few crumbs to help justify the endless hours we have spent and the multi thousands of dollars we have injected into the economy for the opportunity to spend a few hours of quality time on the wonderful coast line we live on and the chance of catching and retaining a salmon. We are being played as fools, by a bunch of political hacks that are only interested in dumping on what they see as the course of least resistance and catering to where they think they can make the most political mileage. We will get what we apparently are willing to accept.

who knows she's seems to be on a budget pushing tour.

Like SV I expect most of the SFAB proposal will be accepted. Area 17, 28 and JDF tho do to their proximity to the fraser river and politicalness/First Nation stuff around that, have imo the harder chance of being approved. There has been now letters from MPs. Letters from the Province and a good support from many others pushing the government to accept it. I think it will be extremely difficult for them to flat out reject all that pressure.

Not saying the areas i mentioned don't have a chance imo its 50/50 as we have the data and science on our side.

That said the SFAB proposal is far from ideal and pretty much life support to keep the lights on. I also think a MSF is the future and probably a forgone conclusion its just a matter of time a long time because they are not going to clip all chinook this year so we would still be like 4 years out from that if they started ASAP.

Gota agree with your post, probably the most accurate yet IMO.

AND here we wait once again for MSF and missed out on some of the best fishing for salmon ive seen in a long time ..... figured DFO s MO is to slam us on a friday to **** us off for a weekend, Have to say this is a complete **** show but it doesnt surprise me , I think really the only option is do what the natives say, WE are going to sue you... seems to work for them...

Not being a glass half empty person, I prefer to consider other positive possibilities.

Maybe the Minister, coming from a fishing economy on the East Coast, actually understands how important fisheries like ours are to local communities and the deeply embedded culture of society?

Maybe she's sympathetic to the cultural and economic importance our fishery represents to many people and communities?

Perhaps the delay is related to a Minister who was prepared to ask more questions, not accept the Pacific Region advice on face value?

Maybe the Minister realizes that based on the effort data, very little economic and social activity is generated in the spring fishery so the real pressure is on for addressing this before effort (and consequences) really start kicking in after May - so why not take the time to get this decision right?

Or maybe if I bought into the glass half empty view, just maybe in some twisted way Ottawa likes the drama and realizes that its' pointless wrestling with the recreational fishery pig in the mud, because we just like to wrestle no matter what the outcome - its good sport to us. Maybe they are resigned to realization we would find some reason to complain even if we got everything we asked for....perhaps they are just tired of the mud wrestling the pig and will make the decision in their own time.

So I plan to do more productive things while we wait...like work on my shop and get my boat ready. Besides, the lings are biting, as are the hali...and there are prawns to chase too.

So I plan to do more productive things while we wait...like work on my shop and get my boat ready. Besides, the lings are biting, as are the hali...and there are prawns to chase too.

Not being an butt but it would be nice to just have a boat and able to TRY and get some Lings And Hali's and not have to wait for DFO's decision.
Not all of us can.

Not being an butt but it would be nice to just have a boat and able to TRY and get some Lings And Hali's and not have to wait for DFO's decision.
Not all of us can.
I concur. If I had access to Lings and Halis it wouldnt be as painful. Nothing beats fighting a thick chinook but at least I would be able to keep myself busy with other gamefish. The idiotic part of this DFO BS is that it now puts so much pressure on prawns and crabs in the vancouver/lower mainland region.

Back