Anchovy holder question

G

goodoutroo

Okay, experts!

I fish the mid-island for all species of salmon.

For years and years I have used these: http://www.okitackle.com/heads.shtml
They work well but I have occasionally lost the red pin or forgot toothpicks so they aren't idiot proof!

I recently tried on of these:
http://www.protroll.com/products/bait-holders/
Has anyone tried these with success?
There have been so few fish this year that I can't tell if they work or not so far...
I like how they don't have any parts to lose or forget!
Also, since the roll is already set, where to you put the hook?

Thanks.

Roo

Not an expert opinion, but I can offer my experiance.

When the E-chip thing (flashers and line attachments) came out a couple years back I fished them hard. I gave it a good run and my line without the E-chip out fished it every time. I tried it again last year and the samething. For me its the rhys-Davis heads for Sooke, offshore and outside waters for that tight roll, the Oki JDF (Kipple K)head for the inlets and Sounds as they have the capability to provide a nice lazy roll.

M.C.

Out on a limb here, but I suggest running your line through the red pin so you don't loose them or loading up on a few boxes of toothpicks.

quote:Originally posted by JuandeOne

Out on a limb here, but I suggest running your line through the red pin so you don't loose them or loading up on a few boxes of toothpicks.

That's what we do too - thread the leader line through the red pin. No more pins overboard.

I bought one the other day. It' a #5 Small Fin. I have the same question as you Roo; where do you put the hook?:D
Tom

Hello to all...I bought a bunch of the Pro-Trolls and the manufacturer recommends that you let the hook hang free. I have had very limited success with these compared to the Rhys Davis heads.
Cheers[8D]

On what to do with the hooks, this back from the mfg. Quick response.

Tom -

Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at Pro-Troll. Its my understanding that the hooks do not go into your bait. They would hang free alongside of your bait. Alot of our prostaffers recommend lining up the eye of your bait with the center prong on the RotoChip.

I hope this answers your question.

Wishing you great fishing,
Terri Black
Customer Service Manager

Pro-Troll, Inc. and Sekora Lures
925-825-8560
925-825-8591 FAX

What I like about the ProTroll has nothing to do with the Echip and everything to do with how eay it is to get bait into it - way faster than JDF or KK.
So, the answer about the hook is to let it hand free; now what about the speed of the roll since it is set by the fin on the holder?

Back