2024 Derbies?

Fishing?

Okay I am blind or something

I just have an incredibly hard time finding out information about these events.
Like one I read about;
The Mill Bay derby?
Saanich Inlet Salmon Challenge?

I can find the odd information here and there but very hit and miss.
And then if found it is hard to find rules, prizes sometimes even fees.

Is Silva bay having a derby?
Any around Vancouver?

Even on this forum there is chat about them but almost like they are so well known there is little information about rules etc.

Just look at this thread, more information about past derbies than current ones.

What is instagram? I don't use that. The same with some of the other links. I use Facebook and it is crappy for information, just reports
Most of these links are "what's happening RIGHT NOW" stuff. Not how to stuff. Or where stuff. One on one conversations so if I get a idiot I get bad info.

Are these becoming "word of mouth" events now?

Okay I am blind or something

I just have an incredibly hard time finding out information about these events.
Like one I read about;
The Mill Bay derby?
Saanich Inlet Salmon Challenge?

I can find the odd information here and there but very hit and miss.
And then if found it is hard to find rules, prizes sometimes even fees.

Is Silva bay having a derby?
Any around Vancouver?

Even on this forum there is chat about them but almost like they are so well known there is little information about rules etc.

Just look at this thread, more information about past derbies than current ones.

What is instagram? I don't use that. The same with some of the other links. I use Facebook and it is crappy for information, just reports
Most of these links are "what's happening RIGHT NOW" stuff. Not how to stuff. Or where stuff. One on one conversations so if I get a idiot I get bad info.

Are these becoming "word of mouth" events now?
This is a good idea for a thread.

DateNameLocationCostRegistrationWebsiteOther Notes
Saturday May 25, 2024Galiano Salmon ClassicMontague Harbour, Galiano Island, BC$100/personSee Instagram (galiano_salmon_classic) or Facebook (Galiano Salmon Classic) for detailsnone. Just IG and FB pagesfunds raised to support PSF

I'll start. Maybe something like the table above? People could just add rows if needed and have the basic info for each derby. Probably best to keep it organized by date so you can add derbies either before or after this one depending on when they occur.

DateNameLocationCostRegistrationWebsiteOther Notes
Saturday May 25, 2024Galiano Salmon ClassicMontague Harbour, Galiano Island, BC$100/personSee Instagram (galiano_salmon_classic) or Facebook (Galiano Salmon Classic) for detailsnone. Just IG and FB pagesfunds raised to support PSF

I'll start. Maybe something like the table above? People could just add rows if needed and have the basic info for each derby. Probably best to keep it organized by date so you can add derbies either before or after this one depending on when they occur.
All ideas are welcome.

Wolf's post is perfect. Pretty much all the info in a quick copy and paste. It could be listed and then additional info under it's own thread maybe, the stated rules and prize info.
The other thing would be current updates, maybe prize packages, rules and derby results. Then everyone could add in travel suggestions, parking, ramp, suggestions, etc .... Suggestions like past experience, is it better to trailer over to Silva bay or boat, accommodations, camping, is there a ramp, do that derby launch out of Ladysmith, Cedar, Nanaimo.

I don't know if it breaks forum rules but how about a Derby forum with individual derbies sub forums or titles for each that would be all inclusive information.

Sort of like I started a 2024 Derbies title and then each known derby has a title and information. From title, start, updates and results for each.

It appears at times this was the way it was but just died. The only derby I ever really went to was the Port Alberni Salmon fest but even their info or the info for the derby there is becoming harder to find. I have many Facebook inquiries for info with little response.

Just thinking of it to be idiot proof.

The info started to be so private as to almost seem to be by invitation only.

The two derbies mentioned now are too late for me now. Being on a tight budget, find accommodations and most times a fishing partner.

Last edited:
There's a derby next weekend on the Sunshine Coast, I believe it is out of coopers green. Which is odd considering there's no docks so I'm probably wrong. I think it is a reboot of the garden bay one.

For me, every trip out is a derby against myself so I don't look for many other than the DofNV Firefighters derby that is always on the last day of summer out of Lions Gate Marina. Who knows if it will happen this season again but I sure hope so.

Great thread, apologies for the vague content.

There's a derby next weekend on the Sunshine Coast, I believe it is out of coopers green. Which is odd considering there's no docks so I'm probably wrong. I think it is a reboot of the garden bay one.

For me, every trip out is a derby against myself so I don't look for many other than the DofNV Firefighters derby that is always on the last day of summer out of Lions Gate Marina. Who knows if it will happen this season again but I sure hope so.

Attachments

• IMG_1675.png
    IMG_1675.png
    529.5 KB · Views: 23

Correct its out of Coopers Green, because they have the hall there and its central on the lower Sunshine Coast. Quarry bay to Gower is the boundary. People can drive their catch to coopers by car or boat to be weighed before 3pm. A lot of guys will probably be trailer boaters so I can see guys just beaching. Bigger boats will anchor and get rides in from smaller skiffs.

The event organizer has worked hard on this, should be a decent 1st year for this derby I think over 70+ tickets sold. The Proceeds were supposed to go towards local fish hatchery, but the local FN band has put considerable pressure on the hatchery to NOT accept the funds. The FN feel this derby is "trophy hunting" and don’t support the targeting stock of concern. For the record Fishing is open, because DFO says encountering stocks of concern is extremely low. The derby’s intention is to target healthy CN runs before the highly questionable seasonal closures that we know are more political then science. Anyways to avoid further conflict the derby funds will be donated to PSF. A reminder to all that attend do so in a respectful manor and enjoy their right to fair public access.

Last edited:
copied and paste from LastCall official notice.

Registration is now open for the 2024 galiano salmon classic! See poster attached for basic info and a full rules sheet will follow shortly. As in recent past years, derby entrants will be limited based on the dinner venue capacity so please register asap if you plan to attend. We are actively looking for any sponsors and/or prize table donations so please DM me here if you're able to help out. All proceeds raised to be donated to PSF as in past years.

Good prizes for top salmon but also for any halibut (last year there was a beauty caught by Team America / Bonchovy) as well as lingcod hidden weight (@Rain City self proclaimed LING KING). See you all May 25th at Montague Harbour, Galiano Island.

Attachments​

• Galiano Salmon Classic 2024 - poster.png
    Galiano Salmon Classic 2024 - poster.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 13

Back