2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

The western channel between Croaker Island and the mainland also has the same 5 Knot (Private) buoys marking it's entrances.

On another note

As a motorcyclist who has ridden in 20 plus countries and understand the importance of high vis clothing I am stunned at the kayakers in dark blue and black hulled boats wearing black wetsuits and black inflatable life vests. FFS they aren't a special ops team on a mission to save the free world.

One would think visibility would be pretty high on their safety plan. I now think of them as "The Invisibles."

When I lead canoe trips in the 70's in northern Ontario and Quebec , we painted the canoes bright yellow for a reason, and it wasn't to keep the bears away (though we sometimes told the campers that:eek:).
After a few close calls with poor visibility kayakers, we started calling them speed bumps.

I have never touched a kayaker while underway, but have had a couple hit me while I'm anchored. Called them something other than a speed bump.

Just as bad, black Stryker zodiac, back jackets and black life jackets. Dad and his son heading out on a windy forcast day.

A 250 pound guy in the water looks like a crab trap bouy from a helicopter don’t ask me how I know.

Always Red or Yellow for kids life jackets.

When are you coming over to the Gulf islands for some prawnjng!? Should be a quick trip!

After a few close calls with poor visibility kayakers, we started calling them speed bumps.

I have never touched a kayaker while underway, but have had a couple hit me while I'm anchored. Called them something other than a speed bump.
I can’t count on two hands the # of canoers/kayakers I’ve had to push away with a paddle while at anchor in the jet boat.

Just as bad, black Stryker zodiac, back jackets and black life jackets. Dad and his son heading out on a windy forcast day.

A 250 pound guy in the water looks like a crab trap bouy from a helicopter don’t ask me how I know.

Always Red or Yellow for kids life jackets.

When are you coming over to the Gulf islands for some prawnjng!? Should be a quick trip!

In June I hope, when work slows down.

Water Storage.

One of the things we wanted to have on the boat was the ability to carry enough fresh water to be able to be be self sufficient for more than a few days. We came up with the number of 8 Litres day for cooking , drinking, eating, and washing.

We bought two of these larger water containers at Walmart 26.5 litres of water each. They are part of our earthquake survival kit

1650811234351.png

and two of the smaller ones are approx. 9.5 litres. Giving us 72 litres of water in total . Incidentally the prices for all of these containers have more than doubled since last August. This gives us 9 days of water , or realistically 5 days of being out before replenishing with a healthy weather /spillage reserve.

1650811660611.png

So when we were building the boat, I took the two sizes of containers up to Robert in order that he could build the under seat storage in such a fashion that the water containers would fit snugly and not bounce around.

Now we have the two passenger side benches, one the furnace bench, has the diesel furnace and fuel tank in it taking up space and the second one is 100% open,

I only have an exterior shot of the furnace bench. Note the black cleats that we can use to strap down soft luggage.

1650812997385.png

Robert was very clever in his building of the seat boxes for us.

When the small water containers are turned one way we have 2.5 gallons times two snuggly secured.

1650813253292.png

.....and if I were to buy two more we would have 10 gallons, and room for storage on top. We have a large Yeti Jug for day water.

If we wanted to do the combo plan, things fit together two large and two small jugs things would fit in like this

1650813510624.png

Now the large jugs are from our earthquake preparedness kit. I know I am preaching to the choir here and everyone on the forum is prepared for the "big one". If not here is a link to Oregon's website. I found it easy to follow and made up a Tinyurl to link to their site :D

I plan to buy two more of the smaller jugs and leave the larger ones at home.

Once again Robert's care and attention to detail has paid off.

Just thought I would check in here - how is everything going with the boat @Bill 310? Have you had some time to get out and spend some nights on it etc?

We have been making day trips and puttering about. We had a really nice day trip up to Squamish a few weeks ago.

We are planning a run over to see some outlaws on the island next.

Some family things and a series of back to back out of town Celebration of Life(s)things came up and took away some weekends.

The boat is lovely and I am getting more comfortable with the fly by wire controls

Finally got around to getting the Clock and Barometer mounted.

The are at the back of the cabin on the wall on each side of the door.

I can see the clock clearly from the helm, just a quick shoulder check, and the Barometer is seen every time I exit the cabin. Old School yes, but then I am an old fool so the combination works well.

N.B. I had set the clock but not the Barometer when photos were taken.

1656794219022.jpeg

1656794255160.jpeg

1656794312341.jpeg

Last edited:
We ran over to Nanaimo late Monday, stayed overnight, got the engines serviced (24 hours) on them and then stayed Tuesday night again at the Municipal docks ( weather forecast was iffy on Tuesday) and we headed home Tuesday morning.

We used just over 100 litres on our way over. Lesson learned the gas pump flow needs to be turned down to avoid gas burping.

I wasn't aware that the fuel flow can be turned down at the pump.

Ate dinner both nights in the little Mexican place on the dock (Halibut Tacos each night - delicious) . We ate breakfast at Gabriel's Tuesday morning and got breakfast sandwiches from Serious Coffee Wednesday morning.

1656795233134.jpeg
Slept on the boat, my wife is going to add a bit of soft Yoga Mat on her half of the V-Berth.

Nice shower and washroom facilities included with dockage.

There is something very nice about sleeping on a boat.

I got up at daybreak and just sat on the rear deck watching the sunrise begin

1656795329640.jpeg

When I was doing a lot of long distance motorcycle endurance riding we would quite often ride through the night crossing the Continent on two lane roads and mostly deserted interstates.

Riding west the moment I saw the first sliver of daybreak in my mirrors was always a very visceral moment. It was like I had stepped back in time and was experiencing the feeling likely felt by travellers hundreds of years ago when the safety of daybreak signaled that you had survived another night.

The feeling riding east was never the same.

Thanks for the amazing pictures…I’m jealous of being able to sleep on that boat!

Thanks for the amazing pictures…I’m jealous of being able to sleep on that boat!

To paraphrase Tigger

"The wonderful thing about boats, is that the spending is never done."

Had we known that we would have be sleeping on the boat as often as we have, we would have custom ordered a proper marine mattress for the the V berth. Susan made herself a foam pad she puts on top of her side of the v-berth

I can sleep anywhere (most famously when I was 12 ) I fell asleep on a rock in northern Ontario after lunch while on a 5 day canoe trip, and the rest of the camper's and the two counsellors paddled off and left me , only to have a canoe with a counsellor and one camper go back and find me still asleep on the rock at dusk.

While I find that extremely humorous today , can you image the cold bolt of fear that must have run through those two 18 year old camp counsellors hearts when all of a sudden they figured out they were down one camper. Needless to say when I told that story to my parents , they sent me back to my old camp the next summer, figuring my getting caught holding hands with a girl while at stargazing class when 11 was a better camp for me to be sent to that one where I was left on an island in northern Temagami .

Six years later when I started to lead trips, we counted off everyone each time we got in the canoes.

Not to revive an old thread but have you gotten the deck bloody? Any photos of a catch for us?

Well,..... no. We have been out on the boat pretty well every weekend, and had 4 overnights.

Our goal was to get used to the boat and then be fishing by midsummer .

However, In early May we were approached by a National firm to sell our company and that seemed to take up a lot of time (understatement of the year). We joined a great firm, the sale concluded September 1st, all our staff joined the new company and things are now settling down.

We had a 2 week trip to Newfoundland (still there- missed all the storms) so wetting lines was not on the Agenda this summer.

We had had a one week vacation planned in August that was the week with the big winds so we both just stayed at work

We have covered wet moorage (and diesel heat) so we will be out poking around all winter and now my retirement looms much closer.

Kaelc must be board. Fishing season is a windin down, haha
Taking a month off to support momma starting her doctorate and getting the kids in school mode. Bored is right, ready to start a new fishing, boating, hunting company, start a boat building company, a boat brokerage or try and flip a boat. Waiting on my editors for 3 YouTube videos.
Well,..... no. We have been out on the boat pretty well every weekend, and had 4 overnights.

Our goal was to get used to the boat and then be fishing by midsummer .

However, In early May we were approached by a National firm to sell our company and that seemed to take up a lot of time (understatement of the year). We joined a great firm, the sale concluded September 1st, all our staff joined the new company and things are now settling down.

We had a 2 week trip to Newfoundland (still there- missed all the storms) so wetting lines was not on the Agenda this summer.

We had had a one week vacation planned in August that was the week with the big winds so we both just stayed at work

We have covered wet moorage (and diesel heat) so we will be out poking around all winter and now my retirement looms much closer.
Congrats on the sale! I had lunch with a friend yesterday who was having breakfast at 11:30, who sold his shares of his company and is in full retirement mode. Must have 30 days of fishing (he had a poor catching season despite putting the time in and is maximizing coho) under his belt and has retrofitted his 40 foot boats electrical this summer. Hopefully they aren’t keeping you on for too long. So much motorbiking and boating to do in life.

History repeats itself - December/January JaxonCraft build spot available

As you may remember two years ago my wife and I were able to snag a build spot due to a last minute cancellation.

I was talking with Robert this morning (our conversations have continued after the build and a friendship has developed) and he mentioned to me that he a December/January build spot just opened up.

If someone is thinking of a build, or knows someone who is, please mention that a spot has opened up at JaxonCraft,

Back