2 Stroke Carb cleaning

Da Bay Bye

Does anybody use the carb cleaner additive in your boat gas. The stuff that you add to your vehicle gas tank to clean your fuel system as you drive?

Would it work for a 2 stroke outboard? Would it clean the carbs or would it just do damage? Or is there a product that you can just spray into the carbs to help clean them?

Don't do it!!! It strips the oil from your cylinders and will cause damage. Never use alcohol based cleaner on two strokes.

Does anybody use the carb cleaner additive in your boat gas. The stuff that you add to your vehicle gas tank to clean your fuel system as you drive?

Would it work for a 2 stroke outboard? Would it clean the carbs or would it just do damage? Or is there a product that you can just spray into the carbs to help clean them?

These fuel additives are typically a preventative measure and can prevent varnish or gum building up in the carbs. Once the carbs are gummed up the only solution is to remove them and clean them properly. Spraying carb cleaner into the throat of the carb does nothing because it doesn't go through the passages and jets.

Seafoam is a good additive which helps keep carbs clear and prevents/removes carbon buildup in the cylinders of 2-strokes. They sell it at most cdn tire stores. As long as you are only adding the recommended amounts to a proper 50:1 fuel/oil mix you should be fine.

Way better to pull the carbs and clean by hand. Easy job to do, a compressor really helps. If you have never had them apart yourself before do one at a time so you can use the other(s) as a reference for reassembly if you need to. You do have to re-sinc them once they are back on the engine.

pick up a bottle of mercury quickclean at your local mercury shop, its about 15 bucks a bottle and treats 300 litres. Next time you go to use your boat pour some in the fuel tank. Cant say enough about that stuff use it in my cars, lawnmower chainsaw....

If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner they do a very good job. I completely disassemble and throw in the ultrasonic bath, then use welding tip cleaners to clean out the jets. Never used sea foam, kinda nervous about additives for a two stroke.

Good luck,
Gnb

I've used the quicksilver power tune, which you spray in, I don't think it works that well if the jets are plugged though. The best thing to do when they are gummed up, is get a hold of a manual either online or a book and take the carb down, inspect the needle and float etc., soak the jets etc. in carb cleaner and blow them out and dry afterward with an air compressor. Keep everything super clean and I think having an air compressor to blow everything out is critical.

I've taken to using SeaFoam as a regular tank additive for my old OMC 140. Seems to improve idle and low speed running. As has been posted here in the past, larger doses of Seafoam are effective for spring startup/cleanout. Fully gummed up carbs with stuck needles require full carb disassemble and clean, but regular carb cleaner additive use during the season and in storage can prevent getting to that point.

Back