My first Boat!

Hexxen

Hey all,

Nice to meet yall! been a lurker for awhile but never had a rig to post. I just bought my father's 91 campion 165 CC fishing machine! I've been out on her for several years and she's been meticulously kept by my old man but in the last three years or so he hasn't been able to run it as often , so he decided to list her this month. I asked how much he said x I offered x. He accepted. It's got a yammy 70 2smoke w a foil and a Minn Kota transom troller, 2 Scotty electric down riggers that I will most likely sell. Lowrance 520 GPS sonar,etc its a good lil rig that slays trout. Trailer included. I'm fairly knowledgeable with boats as dad had a few ski nautics in Edmonton, a 32' carver and a 40' carver here on the mainland.

My old man had her tuned up in Kamloops carbs were cleaned and the changed the fuel lines and sparkplugs.

Hydraulic steering was completely redone last year as well.
He also threw in his freshwater fishing collection, everything as he shoots more than fishes. He's got the Thompson right next to him so he's onto fly fishing lately.

Hes got it running three batteries. One crank, one for radio accs, and a big one for trolling.

I'll probably clean that up w a new panel and add some lights, he still hasn't gotten around to linking the steering to the MKota so that's probably what I'll tackle next.

Im going to sand the aging varnish off the teak and oil it as its a bit pitted and looks awful imo.

I want to ditch the Bimini top as it kills my rear deck space ( what little there is) and get a decent t top.

If anyone wants to trade a scotty down rigger set for a T Top, let me know.

its a clean little boat and she runs at about 40 mph wot all trimmed up.

Needs a good clean and cut polish and i plan to remove the old faded decals as i can order new ones from the web.

Boats on its way to me in about a week as the folks live up country.

Anyway
Anywho, I guess besides what I think I know about maintaining a boat , what tips and advice would you give to a first time boat owner?

I'll post many more pics once she's in the drive way.

Let's just say that my dad has a very very nice bottle of Laphroaig waiting here for him!

Cheers,

Hex.

Attachments

• 20190106_134845.jpg
    20190106_134845.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 143
  • 20190106_134911.jpg
    20190106_134911.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 141
  • 20190106_134908.jpg
    20190106_134908.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 20190106_134854.jpg
    20190106_134854.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 20190206_124808.jpg
    20190206_124808.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 141
Hey all,

Nice to meet yall! been a lurker for awhile but never had a rig to post. I just bought my father's 91 campion 165 CC fishing machine! I've been out on her for several years and she's been meticulously kept by my old man but in the last three years or so he hasn't been able to run it as often , so he decided to list her this month. I asked how much he said x I offered x. He accepted. It's got a yammy 70 2smoke w a foil and a Minn Kota transom troller, 2 Scotty electric down riggers that I will most likely sell. Lowrance 520 GPS sonar,etc its a good lil rig that slays trout. Trailer included. I'm fairly knowledgeable with boats as dad had a few ski nautics in Edmonton, a 32' carver and a 40' carver here on the mainland.

My old man had her tuned up in Kamloops carbs were cleaned and the changed the fuel lines and sparkplugs.

He also threw in his freshwater fishing collection, everything as he shoots more than fishes. He's got the Thompson right next to him so he's onto fly fishing lately.

Hes got it running three batteries. One crank, one for radio accs, and a big one for trolling.

I'll probably clean that up w a new panel and add some lights, he still hasn't gotten around to linking the steering to the MKota so that's probably what I'll tackle next.

Im going to sand the aging varnish off the teak and oil it as its a bit pitted and looks awful imo.

I want to ditch the Bimini top as it kills my rear deck space ( what little there is) and get a decent t top.

Needs a good clean and cut polish and i plan to remove the old faded decals as i can order new ones from the web.

Anyway
Anywho, I guess besides what I think I know about maintaining a boat , what tips and advice would you give to a first time boat owner?

Let's just say that my dad has a very very nice bottle of Laphroaig waiting here for him!

Cheers,

Hex.
Congrats! And welcome.

Thanks, im excited to say the least. Ice learned a few good tricks from you guys over the last couple months and the build threads are awesome to watch.

Hey all,

Anyway

Cheers,

Hex.
Welcome aboard. That's a great rig! You and your friends will have a lot of fun. It's versatile, too. I've fished for many years on our West Coast in a 16' boat. Take your time to get to know her better.

Listen to your Dad for advice. He sounds like a boating veteran - and he has excellent taste in whiskey. But I suppose those are the same thing. 😉

Buddy of mine had the same boat with a T top, was a great little unit for fishing local waters and prawning out of.

Welcome aboard. That's a great rig! You and your friends will have a lot of fun. It's versatile, too. I've fished for many years on our West Coast in a 16' boat. Take your time to get to know her better.

Listen to your Dad for advice. He sounds like a boating veteran - and he has excellent taste in whiskey. But I suppose those are the same thing. 😉
Thanks, itll be my wife n boy mostly but im sure my brother in laws will be out!

Buddy of mine had the same boat with a T top, was a great little unit for fishing local waters and prawning out of.
Awesome to hear, It's one of the only things I really want to change on her for the time being. Mostly will be out in pitt lake, Alouette etc till I get to know her like I want.

Congrats. Why do you want to sell the electric riggers? You can use them for Kokanee and trout fishing in Alouette and maybe troll for salmon in the sheltered waters around Vancouver. I would keep them if money isn’t a problem.

My first boat was a 165 Campion walk around. That was a joy to fish in, so easy to tow around too.
Awesome, I think for 43 year old me it's going to be a perfect lil boat for the kid to grow up with and on. Besides the non self bailing deck anything to keep my eyes on about her?

Awesome, I think for 43 year old me it's going to be a perfect lil boat for the kid to grow up with and on. Besides the non self bailing deck anything to keep my eyes on about her?
Check the weather and pick your days. Have a manual bailing device on board, just in case. Many years ago, we were checked at the Pitt Lake ramp by RCMP for safety gear, license, etc. You want to make sure that you have the required safety gear with you, including one PFD/person on board, a manual bailing device and a floating line. I would also invest in a first aid kit and a portable VHF radio, esp. if you have kids on board. That lake can get really wild on the changing weather.

Check the weather and pick your days. Have a manual bailing device on board, just in case. Many years ago, we were checked at the Pitt Lake ramp by RCMP for safety gear, license, etc. You want to make sure that you have the required safety gear with you, including one PFD/person on board, a manual bailing device and a floating line. I would also invest in a first aid kit and a portable VHF radio, esp. if you have kids on board. That lake can get really wild on the changing weather.
Awesome advice. Thanks Ringo. We have 6 life jackets a pfd, vhf , a prb , a working bilge pump and hand bailer, float lines, signaling lights etc. I do think the old man went through her well as his grandson , son and daughter in law are the ones running it.

Good to know about the weather for sure.

Pitt is pretty big and is tidal so that makes sense. Appreciated.

Stay inside the channel markers ive seen many cowboys run aground outside the markers...
Red right returning. Red and green stay inbetween. I'd never run around a lake at WOT without knowing it but super good advice for sure. I think boat safety was instilled in me from a young age and I do have my power squadron from back in the day.

Red right returning. Red and green stay inbetween. I'd never run around a lake at WOT without knowing it but super good advice for sure. I think boat safety was instilled in me from a young age and I do have my power squadron from back in the day.
I've ran into sand at Pitt Lake while I was in between the red and the green markers. It was the most graceful beaching ever. It slowed the boat down nice and slow, and killed the motor. No damage done, and once we floated back off of it, we were on our way. There's still hazards on Pitt Lake even if you stay between the markers. If I was looking at the GPS, I would have seen that it was shallower than the rest but you'd think you were good when you're between the markers.

Back