Cleaning Carb on 9.9 Yami ???

I was reading about the old school nasty cleaner online as I searched carb cleaning. Apparently it is hard on your eyes, not good to breath and wear gloves as it can destroy your skin and cause it to crack and bleed. Don't know if you need special gloves.
If you're anywhere near Nanoose I could help you with your carb. I'm not a mechanic but have had my yami 9.9 carb apart many times. They are relatively straight forward, just need to be careful to not lose any of the little parts when you're turning in upside down ;)

I am in Victoria, but the boat stays in Sooke and is currently in a slip in a Marina. This is a fairly new 9.9ht without a lot of hours on it.

We have worked on kickers in the water before by backing the boat into the slip, which gives us access to the kicker on the pod. We have replaced T-stats, plugs etc on a previous kicker this way, but I think removing a carb would be a bit much for this method. Awkward, down low on the water, and too much risk of dropping small parts in the bottom of the cowl or overboard.

To work on the kicker for this, we would have to pull the boat and remove the carb, or remove the hard mounted remote control kicker and bring it to Victoria. That is actually a bit of work.

Gotcha, I was gonna offer help but it's a bit far from CR!

I was reading about the old school nasty cleaner online as I searched carb cleaning. Apparently it is hard on your eyes, not good to breath and wear gloves as it can destroy your skin and cause it to crack and bleed. Don't know if you need special gloves.
I have a tin of the stuff...old school carb cleaner. It stinks so don't leave your parts in an open container.

This stuff works.

Attachments

• 9F41FACF-D0C1-42FB-8596-3FB6AB84FEFD.jpeg
    9F41FACF-D0C1-42FB-8596-3FB6AB84FEFD.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 14
An Update.

We are now running the kicker off of the 12 litre portable tank. When it was down to 6 litres we loaded it up with fuel additive carb and injector cleaners and ran it for a while at the dock and then topped up the little tank with gas and more cleaners and trolled on it for some hours while fishing. The kicker is noticeably improved and ran for 8 seconds at the end of the day in neutral before it stalled and is much easier to get into gear without it stalling. Still somewhat hard starting and not up to normal new operational status, but improved enough, we think, to get us through the fishing season and then remove the carb and do/have done a major carb disassembly and cleaning in the fall or winter. We will continue to run cleaners through it for the next few fishing trips.

My thanks to all for their advice to date and in particular to MRWood and Triplenickel who are experienced with it and were willing to help with the disassembly and cleaning of the carb. However, both are a considerable distance away in Nanaimo and Campbell River. I understand it is not all that difficult a job but would definitely appreciate help with it the first time, assuming I don't get assistance with it or a pro to do it down here. I have friends in the Nanaimo and Parksville area I could stay with, and family in Campbell River. If we don't get it done here, perhaps I could use some help from up island if I am up there in the fall for some deer hunting, if you are still willing. I have done lots of deer hunting with family outside Campbell River.

Last edited:
An Update.

We are now running the kicker off of the 12 litre portable tank. When it was down to 6 litres we loaded it up with fuel additive carb and injector cleaners and ran it for a while at the dock and then topped up the little tank with gas and more cleaners and trolled on it for some hours while fishing. The kicker is noticeably improved and ran for 8 seconds at the end of the day in neutral before it stalled and is much easier to get into gear without it stalling. Still somewhat hard starting and not up to normal new operational status, but improved enough, we think, to get us through the fishing season and then remove the carb and do/have done a major carb disassembly and cleaning in the fall or winter. We will continue to run cleaners through it for the next few fishing trips.

My thanks to all for their advice to date and in particular to MRWood and Triplenickel who are experienced with it and were willing to help with the disassembly and cleaning of the carb. However, both are a considerable distance away in Nanaimo and Campbell River. I understand it is not all that difficult a job but would definitely appreciate help with it the first time, assuming I don't get assistance with it or a pro to do it down here. I have friends in the Nanaimo and Parksville area and family in Campbell River. If we don't get it done here, perhaps I could use some help from up island if I am up there in the fall for some deer hunting, if you are still willing. I have done lots of deer hunting with family outside Campbell River.

Rick did you ask Roy? He is very good with that stuff, and close too where you are. I am sure seem beer etc. He might do it for you..

Sorry @wolf put you on spot....

So a final update on my Yami 9.9HT full remote kicker stalling at slow speed and not idling. The carb was cleaned and the main problem, as was suggested by Spring Velocity, was a clogged idler jet nozzle. As Profisher suggested, the plug over the jet adjustment port was also drilled and removed, so the motor could be tuned properly. Finally, the older T-stat. and the plugs were replaced. The motor is now running like new. Thanks for all the good advice.

Last edited:
So a final update on my Yami 9.9HT full remote kicker stalling a slow speed and not idling. The carb was cleaned and the main problem, as was suggested by Spring Velocity, was a clogged idler jet nozzle. As Profisher suggested, the cover cap over the jet adjustment port was also drilled out and removed, so the motor could be tuned properly. Finally, the older T-stat. and the plugs were replaced. The motor is now running like new. Thanks for all the good advice.

Glad you got ot fixed Rick. Those idler jets can really ruin a day fishing. Great it was fixable.

Back