1981 Double Eagle gets a second chance

Amazing Build

What are your plans for the side windows? Solid window or sliding / opening windows?
I am going to do a sliding window. I will order them this month through AJR and hope to have them by end of the year

Gave the top a good sanding and then a wipe down with acetone before applying a coat of primer. Its nice to finally see it all one colour. Most of this coat will get sanded off.

Keep in mind this roof has been extended almost 6 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_1845.jpeg
    IMG_1845.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1844.jpeg
    IMG_1844.jpeg
    569.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Gave the top a good sanding and then a wipe down with acetone before applying a coat of primer. Its nice to finally see it all one colour. Most of this coat will get sanded off.

Keep in mind this roof has been extended almost 6 inches.
I love the oem+ look of it. Coming along real nice

Done a lot of fairing myself on my project boat,finally getting down to 600-800 W&D.Can't wait to be done with it,the worst part of doing any build.And I'm constantly amazed at the cost of everthing,resin,gelcoat,paint,nuts and bolts.The price of new boats has got to go way up,I don't know how anyone will afford them.

Done a lot of fairing myself on my project boat,finally getting down to 600-800 W&D.Can't wait to be done with it,the worst part of doing any build.And I'm constantly amazed at the cost of everthing,resin,gelcoat,paint,nuts and bolts.The price of new boats has got to go way up,I don't know how anyone will afford them.
I second that… crazy material costs.

I could not imagine having to pay somebody to do this at labour costs what they are material cost what they are it would not make any sense at all

If I get my material costs back at resale I'll be lucky,I'm basically donating my labour to the next owner.

I rebuilt my 18.5 DE back in 2011 and spent what I thought was a crazy amount back then.
I could only imagine what it costs now.
Did it once back then. Would never do it again.
For the longest time i had always wanted to get into a 21 Monaro. That dreams dead. I'll stick with what I got.

Are you going to sell the Grady and move into this one?
I don't know yet,if the Searay doesn't sell in the spring,I might have to consider that but it wasn't my plan going into this.The Searay has a lot going for it,but most buyers will turn it down without looking at it because it's a 1976.It will have to be an older buyer that remembers what a great hull these boats have and appreciates the overall condition.

I don't know yet,if the Searay doesn't sell in the spring,I might have to consider that but it wasn't my plan going into this.The Searay has a lot going for it,but most buyers will turn it down without looking at it because it's a 1976.It will have to be an older buyer that remembers what a great hull these boats have and appreciates the overall condition.
In the spring I might be looking for a 208 ;)

Well that was quick, AJR called today and said the windows are ready. Thats a quick turn around for custom windows. 10 days from order to done. I will go across to Vancouver on Tuesday to pick them up. Super pumped to be getting windows already.

Last edited:
Back