Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Python PowTran

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Intellisteer

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ronin2024

Near the end of last year's fishing season I was saving my pennies for a new kicker for my 1825 Falcon Kingfisher. I saw Profisher's post about a raffle for the Sooke Net Pen and they were drawing for a 9.9 Yamaha. That was exactly what I wanted. I thought my chances are slim but it was for a good cause. I sent in my money and really forgot about it until I received a phone call from Rollie. He told me why he was calling and of course I couldn't believe what I heard. I won first prize. What an awesome Christmas present. Thank you very much Rollie.

Now that I have a new kicker I need some help on figuring out which remote steering I should use. I was looking at the Panther or Intellisteer or should I just use a tie bar.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Near the end of last year's fishing season I was saving my pennies for a new kicker for my 1825 Falcon Kingfisher. I saw Profisher's post about a raffle for the Sooke Net Pen and they were drawing for a 9.9 Yamaha. That was exactly what I wanted. I thought my chances are slim but it was for a good cause. I sent in my money and really forgot about it until I received a phone call from Rollie. He told me why he was calling and of course I couldn't believe what I heard. I won first prize. What an awesome Christmas present. Thank you very much Rollie.

Now that I have a new kicker I need some help on figuring out which remote steering I should use. I was looking at the Panther or Intellisteer or should I just use a tie bar.

For what its worth, I have been using the Panther system for the last season and had no issues whatsoever. Its been great. Pretty cool being able to fight fish or drop gear and steer at the same time. Makes solo outings much easier.

You should also take a look at the PowerTran Python System. I've been using it for two seasons and it has worked great. I have the wireless remote system that allows me to control the boat easily when I'm fishing solo - which is most of the time. I have an extra wireless remote when I have a partner on board.

Congratulations @ronin2024! I’ve never won anything :(
I’m the @Raincity “thread of the year” in my entire life.

As grand bruce said, the remote is a perfect way to go when solo. I have a tie bar I custom made and it’s great with a partner, but it’s a real $h!t show when I’m solo and in any wind. What’s your style?!

Tie bar will be the safest fail proof system but keeps you steering from one spot. I had panther systems and liked them until they broke, mine failed many different times. I’m now using the intelli steer type r and have had no issues for several years.

Yeah I am really leaning towards a wireless remote system. I tried fishing solo last year and I am glad I wasn't in the fleet or there would have been a few angry fishermen out there. :mad:

I will look at the PowerTran, system.

Did you guys install your steering by yourself or did you get a professional to install? I thinking of getting a pro to mount the 9.9 to the boat not to sure I want to put more holes in the boat.

Yeah I am really leaning towards a wireless remote system. I tried fishing solo last year and I am glad I wasn't in the fleet or there would have been a few angry fishermen out there. :mad:

Did you guys install your steering by yourself or did you get a professional to install? I thinking of getting a pro to mount the 9.9 to the boat not to sure I want to put more holes in the boat.
I did it myself. Just a lot of planning. Proper drilling technique and always seal everything thoroughly with Sikaflex

I have the intellasteer plumbed into my hydraulic and kicker tied to main with a bar having the two move together gives great control and response as well the wireless remote gives you total freedom

I installed Intellisteer last year. Not cheap and it was $1500 to have it installed by a tech. But it works great. I didn't want to play around with my Seastar hydraulics or I would have considered installing myself. Keep the fob hanging around your neck as you fight fish and turn with ease. I thought about installing for a few years. I am happy with the product. I got mine on sale a Harbour Chandler last Feb/Mar. They gave me a few hundred off all the other prices I could find.

I installed my PowerTran system myself. The instructions that came with the unit were very clear and easy to follow. Took a couple of hours.

The intelli type r, which is the stand alone kicker only steering is pretty easy to install, I did mine myself.

I installed my PowerTran system myself. The instructions that came with the unit were very clear and easy to follow. Took a couple of hours.

I looked up the PowerTran online and their online video makes it look pretty simple to install. Where did you buy your unit?

Congrats and another vote for powertran. It sounds like you have an outboard main engine while I have an IO. In your shoes I would probably start with a tie bar. That's what I'm using with my Volvo out drive and trust me when I'm say it's a real pain in the butt particularly in seas but with 2 outboards it is no big deal. Oh and the time I ran out to fish only to find one of the quick release fittings was literally gone sucked as I had to steer that day by muscling the kicker. So that reaffirmed my quest for remote steering and I chose powertran, it is sitting in the box waiting to be installed. The final solution for us is the powertran and the quick connect for redundancy. Cheers

The only reason I would choose the Panther over the Python is with the Panther system you have the throttle option on your hand held wireless remote as well don't see that with the Python unless I'm missing it.

You're correct, no throttle with the python system. I paid close attention to how I'm handling the boat and I don't hit the throttle much other than to pull slack out of the line so to me, the simplicity of the python won out.

You're correct, no throttle with the python system. I paid close attention to how I'm handling the boat and I don't hit the throttle much other than to pull slack out of the line so to me, the simplicity of the python won out.

It's a nice option to have though, certainly not as important as steering itself but nice. I had the Troll Matser electronic control on my 20' Lund and man I loved it. It's not so importanf for salt water but when fishing other species a person can dial right in. For next year I'm planning on setting up the new to me boat with remote steering and electronic idle control and for me it looks like I'll go with the Panter. With the troll master a nice option is the idle option. When you catch a fish you hit the Idle and the engine goes to the lowest setting which is nice for fighting fish when your done hit it again and it returns to its previous setting, very handy option.

Last edited:
Back