Kicker motor steering and auto pilot

dmurph

Who’s running what system for kicker control and how do you like it.

I run a 15hp pro kicker steered with a cable drive intelli steer. It’s been good quite reliable and easy. I have an inboard main so this seems best set up. I do worry that if the intelli system goes down I have no control steering. I would like to also add an auto pilot just to be able to hold a straight heading. I have a carbon 12 main and 7 on the back deck. What would best auto pilot for my set up. I kinda of dream of have a hydraulic rear helm tied into a remote steering system with auto.

I'm on an IO too and am still using the ez steer which means I hang my butt way out in all sorts of weather because I can't ever decide which remote steering system sucks the least. One more thing that's awesome about IOs haha...for sure, will be watching to see if something else new and awesome has dropped on the kicker steering and throttle scene which is less than 10,000.

I had ez steer at one point which was problematic and limited my steering to inside the cab only. I put a panther system in which was quick steering and quiet but broke most of the time. The intelli has been pretty good easy reliable, a little slow responding but I fished the cap no problem with it lol. Main event cap fishing on a nice Saturday and having the panther fail right at the marker was interesting lol

Have you seen this unit

Lowrance carbon 9 and 7, 9 is in the cockpit controlling the autopilot. I do need to calibrate it but it runs awesome for my main and kicker tied together.
So you need hydraulic steering for the lowrance to connect to? I don’t have hydraulic steering on my kickerc

Have you seen this unit

In same boat as you, always looking for best solution for kicker steering. What is the cost on this system? Looks very similar to the garmin one, which is $3500 to $4000

In same boat as you, always looking for best solution for kicker steering. What is the cost on this system? Looks very similar to the garmin one, which is $3500 to $4000
You referring to the Garmin reactor 40
Are you familiar with the Garmin reactor? Is this the best way to go

Hydraulic is hands down the best way to go. Big system upgrade for your application to do it properly. Just depends on how muchy you wanna spend

I’d like to have a hydraulic helm just for the kicker and auto pilot. Main thing is a remote to be able to steer from anywhere. Auto would be to hold a heading. Are you familiar with the intelli steer, I think you weren’t impressed? It’s been somewhat reliable, I had a few issues over the years main brain went and was warranted and a steering cable went but that’s maintenance item.

Apparently my type r can be connected to an auto pilot but could never get clear answers on how and if it worked effectively.

The new intellisteer relay box will work with any autopilot. However you may not need that equipment if you went with say a garmin or simrad auto pilot.

Hydraulic helms and say an auto pilot pump are the same things. Doing the same function. The helm is a manual hydraulic pump and the auto is an electric motor attached to a small hydraulic pump. You can add as many to the system as you like. Same with the hydraulic cylinder you are trying to control. Add as many as you like to the system..

Pm me and I'll give you my contact and help you understand how it all works. 👍

The new intellisteer relay box will work with any autopilot. However you may not need that equipment if you went with say a garmin or simrad auto pilot.

Hydraulic helms and say an auto pilot pump are the same things. Doing the same function. The helm is a manual hydraulic pump and the auto is an electric motor attached to a small hydraulic pump. You can add as many to the system as you like. Same with the hydraulic cylinder you are trying to control. Add as many as you like to the system..

Pm me and I'll give you my contact and help you understand how it all works. 👍
What’s considered new, my type r intelli relay has some wires that manual said are used for auto pilot. Do the hydraulic and cable drive intelli steer use the same relay and the auto pilot is used for hydraulic only ?

This is the new style intellisteer relay box. It's a relay box with a wireless remote device. Pretty simple . It will flip flop power and ground output, to the auto pilot hydraulic pump. Or it will control any 12v device that needs to go one way and flip and go the other way for jog steering.

autopilots-intellisteer-type-a-controller-f-boats-with-an-existing-autopliot-inttypea-62830926...jpg

The first generation was different. They don't sell them anymore. They used transitor control for the power ground flip flop function for motor output. Which woukd not work with another device attached because when you turned the unit on the motor output wires would both sit at ground.

The garmin auto pilot and the simrad both have wireless jog remotes if I'm not mistaken. So you won't need the unit above if going with hydraulic. You'll need

Helm, one or 2

Inboard cylinder and one outboard cylinder

Tie bar valve

Autopilot system

Last edited:
Lowrance does make a cable steer autopilot that you could setup on your kicker. You could put hydraulic steering on it, then add a hydraulic ap but that will be more $$. I had a rear station installed before i put in my ap and used to use it alot. Since ive had my ap though i barely touch the rear helm. Also the remote with the lowrance unit basically turns it into a remote steer from anywhere. There is the power steer option too on the lowrance units.

Lowrance does make a cable steer autopilot that you could setup on your kicker. You could put hydraulic steering on it, then add a hydraulic ap but that will be more $$. I had a rear station installed before i put in my ap and used to use it alot. Since ive had my ap though i barely touch the rear helm. Also the remote with the lowrance unit basically turns it into a remote steer from anywhere. There is the power steer option too on the lowrance units.
That sounds ideal as I’ve already got most of the lowrance system. The cable drive unit looks exactly like the intelli steer. You have hand held remote?

Back