Scotty Orca rod holders?

I first saw and used the Orcas on a trip to Langara Fishing Lodge a few years ago. Instantly liked them. They are used on all their boats up there and so must get a lot of use over the summer fishing season.
The guides taught us to snap out without the tip moving. Butt up tip down. That way there is no sudden yank on the line. Is also much easier to get the rod out when under load. My wife likes them too. Easier for her than the tubes. If there was issues don't think Langara would continue to use them.
I replaced my standard Scotty tube holders this summer with the Orcas. Biggest thing for me is the fact you don't have to reach out to take the rod out. The rod sits at about Belly height and a simple snap and they are out. Much easier on the back. We fished Sockeye a lot this summer and where taking rods in and out all day. No problems.
Having said all that the tubes are simple and work. Or you can just hold it in your hands like the old days. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0868 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0868 (Large).jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 387
What has this world come to? Guys want to fish with reels that creep, as its ok cause you can use lanyards with release clips.

I use a lanyard, not because I am concerned with line creep but because 1) I can immediately play the fish at the drag I have set and not have to adjust it after pulling the rod up out of my Orca rod holder 2) Cranking down on the drag adjustment, can't be good for the drag washer etc.

I dropped my downriggers off at Scotty the other day and mentioned to them that my Orca holder on the port side destroyed the cork handle on my Technium rod. They upgraded me to the new generation Orcas. The service at
Scotty is top notch! Because of Scotty I'll give them one more try for salmon fishing. I wouldn't ever use them for Hali fishing as the post is plastic unlike the post in the Stryker holders that have a metal core. So I tried them, was disappointed and wouldn't recommend them.

I use the Orca for salmon fishing but would never for hali. I must have first gen as mine are starting to loosen up. I've had them open up a couple times so I will have a look at a new set. Way easier to get on the rod quick over the tubes. With the tubes I had to make a conscious effort not to pull the rod out to quickly when under load or I kept pulling the rod butt rubbers out of their fittings. In my trophies they were pressed and glued and once knocked out never stayed in place as well again...even when re glued. Also when you pull a rod out of a tube you only have one hand on the rod until you get it out of the tube....with Orca's you pull the rod straight up with one hand in front and one hand behind the reel.

Something I noticed last year when I bought 3 orca holders (1 at a different time)... One was different than the others... Not sure which one is the "Second Gen" now.

One is all black, doesn't have the white hinged piece on the top.

The other two (what you usually see) have the white hinge piece on the end. Otherwise I notice no difference in performance? :confused:

White 'Hinge' on the end

scotty_400_bk_4.jpg

All black, no 'Hinge'

401_ORCA_FlushMount_lg.gif

Thinking the all black one is the updated version...

Either way I like em...

20140823_110341.jpg

What has this world come to? Guys want to fish with reels that creep, as its ok cause you can use lanyards with release clips. Then there's rod holders that pop open so you use another lanyard for that.

What happens if your using a creeping reel in a Orca?

Maybe Scotty and Islander could release a dual use lanyard with a release clip attached.

There are times when your mind is absolutely BRILLIANT Owen!!! LOL!!!!

I had a close look at them when they first came out.... I'll stay old school... If it aint broke-- dont fix it!

I use Folbe holders, they dont wreck the handles, and stay locked closed until you lift upward. I use a set back mount which puts the rod in the boat just above rigger motor.

Attachments

• P1010458.jpg
    P1010458.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 216
  • P1010459.jpg
    P1010459.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 215
Last edited by a moderator:
I heard about this issue with Scotty Orcas. Spoke to Scotty who advised they did change the design as it had occurred occasionally in the past. New design is the all black without white ring at top - the second pic above.

I have the Scotty weight retrievers on my riggers.
I in hook the cord from the donut on the line and attach to my hali rod as my tether.
It's already secured to the boat and long enough to do the job.
And I use the tube holders. Just replaced them mind you as they were probably 20 years old and flexing pretty good

Tips

I used these for several years, and loved them.....Until one popped open one day and threw a 800$ combo overboard while trolling off a downrigger. Called Scotty and in their typical legendary customer service way, they sent me some bling, while telling me, and I am paraphrasing " Yeah, we have had several reports of that happening and are in the process of pulling the existing models and redesigning the Orca. Call us when the new models hit the shelves and we will send you new ones". Guess I need to call them huh? One thing about Scotty, they really, really understand customer service, and even though they occasionally have issues, I am a fan for life.

I have been using the Orca's for quite a few years. The have some real advantages in that folks can quite easily get them to open up (old version). Newly redesigned version are much harder to get open and I have some guests (even myself at times) who have a tough time with them. Scotty really could have stuck with the old version, had they reversed the design and made one for the port side and another for the starboard. The reason they pop open on the old style is the rod on one side pulls directly upward on the opening. Reverse the design for one side, problem solved.

Made a few suggestions to some of the guys I know at Scotty. Hopefully a new redesign will come out incorporating my idea as I prefer the old style ones.

As for issue with hali - I agree having had a hali pull a rod completely out of the holder. Fortunately the fish wrapped around the downrigger where I had my bait bag attached, so I got the rod back after playing a fish with the rigger for a bit until it got off. Made for some interesting times and a few good stories on how to clinch victory from jaws of defeat.

I have a pair of these Scotty Orcas I got about 6 months ago. I had one open on me yesterday,and almost lost a rod. Luckily I set the release clip tight so I was able to bring rod up slowly and hand bomb in. Was very lucky, and could have been a $500.00 mistake. Orcas are now gone on my boat, and moving back to strikers. I did like them for ease of release but wouldn't recommend based on my experience. Can't have rods falling into the chuck.

More of an issue with the base but I had the entire rod holder popping out of the base which left me reeling with the rod holder attached.. thinking of adding some oil or petroleum jelly to make it release easier but didn't want my rods popping out by itself.. wish me luck.

The new version of the Orca is my favorite rod holder for salmon. They close up tight and you can pop the rod out quick...unlike the original version where you grabbed the rod in front of the reel and behind the reel and pulled up with both hands...these ones work by grabbing the front section of the rod only and pulling upward. I also use Strikers for hali and tether my rods to a small stainless eyes I mounted on the gunnel. I use the Orcas for salmon fishing because the Trophy rods I use have very short butt sections...maybe 8-10 inches and if you put them in the boom tube holders I'm afraid of breaking the butt section off as there is so little rod in the tube. Also the tube holders tend to knock off the rubbers on the bottom of the rod as you try to pull the rods out quickly.

Back