The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

To Mikeyman

We ran across from Nanaimo last year in a 26 footer. The winds picked up from the north west and it was the scariest ride of my life. We were happy to just get to the other side. Couldn't turn around as the waves seemed to be 6ft high coming of our port rear. Managed to sneak in behind the breakwater and hide in Richmond for awhile. I guess what I'm saying is, just be careful, it can get pretty nasty out that way.

yup you have to watch that south arm on big tide changes, I have a 21' striper with a 200HP and some times I take water over the bow (just button up the tarp for me and alls good) if you had a open bow or less than an 18 footer I would think it would be really tough. Some times its calm when you get out but some times its just as bad so for me "If it doesn't look good ..... go home and smoke some fish and go out later or tommorow" !
Be Safe and have fun

yup you have to watch that south arm on big tide changes, I have a 21' striper with a 200HP and some times I take water over the bow (just button up the tarp for me and alls good) if you had a open bow or less than an 18 footer I would think it would be really tough. Some times its calm when you get out but some times its just as bad so for me "If it doesn't look good ..... go home and smoke some fish and go out later or tommorow" !
Be Safe and have fun

I've gone through there in my 21' Striper and never take water over the bow but thats because mine is an i/o and they have much better balance. ;)

23 foot striper inboard and with the right wind, tide and dump of the river I take water on to my alaskan no prob...just have to watch for the standing water.

Any ways, was out this morning and it was a bit rough fer sure, blowing pretty good, put a sock in right away out off the lightship, then nothing worked it hard looking for a spring. Figured I might know where they cud be hiding, sure enough they were stacked up in the shallows 1 good poke on the anchovie and had him for 2 or 3 mins then he was unbuttoned, sharks after that so we switched it up...8 sock and 3 pinks once I put the bling and pink on. Found lots of schools, the kids had a blast and lost as many as we got. Landed 1 triple header so I guess they are holding a bit.
Put it in about 100 to 80 feet of water 2 miles Southwest of the T-10

Cheers

Getbent

Great Day Eh Getbent !

I haven't checked (but I will) to see if the sox fish has been extended but I sure hope it does so I can get a chance at them on Wednesday.
You sound a bit like me "confident the springs are near the south arm now" , they should be but since it openned I have fished it and nada , but they got to be there soon , you would think ! eh ?
Hey if You got any picsof those socks, it would be nice to see those first of the season socks, did they have any size to them ?

Sir-Vivor II

It was a bit of a blowy day out there today so once again I avoided the sound.
I went back to the bell again today and battled the wind and the current. I hooked into something big, battled for about 5 minutes til I lost it. Hooked a couple of grilse and the hooked and landed another 20 lb red spring. Checked my crab trap on the way home and it was full, 49 crabs! Threw back 45 of them and headed home.
I sure hate not having my depth finder!
Great day none the less.

Wish I could put pics on here from my I-phone

Thinking of heading down the North Arm tomorrow, does anybody know if it is open or still blocked by the rail bridge in Queensborough that got hit.

went out for a late fish rods in at 5 caught a 20 marbled spring right at the bell bouy.had another good 1 on but was lost. both fish hit top rods
at 30 ft.. chovies glo green heads

August 15: Vancouver Report.

Ok....back in town last night after being in Sooke for the last 3 days....slow fishing by any standards in Sooke. However, based on information from today and the last few days of the goings on in Vancouver waters...I have some advice to the Vancouver board. Call in SICK, and go fishing for the rest of the week....get yer Anchovies down and hit it! DROP EVERYTHING!

I know of 2 boats which hooked 11 springs each today in Vancouver waters and several more which hooked more than "a few". Size ranging from teens to low thirties... Pinks and Cohos thrown in to boot...the odd Sockeye. One boat reported a quad on Springs...another a triple... GET OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok....back in town last night after being in Sooke for the last 3 days....slow fishing by any standards in Sooke. However, based on information from today and the last few days of the goings on in Vancouver waters...I have some advice to the Vancouver board. Call in SICK, and go fishing for the rest of the week....get yer Anchovies down and hit it! DROP EVERYTHING!

I know of 2 boats which hooked 11 springs each today in Vancouver waters and several more which hooked more than "a few". Size ranging from teens to low thirties... Pinks and Cohos thrown in to boot...the odd Sockeye. One boat reported a quad on Springs...another a triple... GET OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

A quad on springs? In Vancouver? Well I better call in sick tomorrow and check it out, winds look real good as well.

Well ill be out there rolling some chovies tomorrow morning.. any idea where these fish were hit FM? Bon Chovy always seem to say Vancouver Harbour in their reports - although Im sure they mean English Bay, still pretty vague.

Some sweet bites this weekend. Hit the bell on Saturday and ended up with a pink a 17 lbs spring and had one lost that was most likely the biggest fish I have ever had on. Top rod went savage and by the time I had it in hand the reel was just screaming ,played it for a while back a forth and had to eventually tighten the drag to almost max but in the end all I was left with was a broken treble hook. Hit the water late on Sunday just before 11am and showed up to the bell to see many boats into fish, in no time my bottom rod at 63' loaded with the ugly went off and I was into a high teens spring mid fight my wifes top rod starts getting hit hard as she is on the swim grid trying to net the spring ,by the time she reached the rod her bottom one is bouncing away and a few seconds later the both snap off . I top rod had a a spring that swam into the bottom. Back to trying to net my spring when me top rod hammers down with a fat ******* of a sockeye which gets lost and finally we net the original spring. The bite goes dead so we made our way towards the cap for the flood, we have a leader break off on a high twenties fish just on at the net on a last head shake just west of the QB. We continue on to the cap and my wife hits a spring on a turn off the marker which we lost after it spit the hook. I was joking with a friend on the radio how we hit fish on the turn and sure enough next pass next turn bang rod goes off and we have a nice spring on , only this time we had just sparked the barbeque , were doing a turn tide was ripping and the cruise ships were passing trough pushing eveything together. Made for a good one, fish took a long time to come in with many jumps and lots of give and take. Most hits were 60 -40 with herring working well, anchovy and the ugly. vacation time

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out for a few hours tonight after work and dragged some chovies round the Bell Buoy.
There were only a couple of other boats out there.
Saw a couple of fish netted and just before we were going to call it a day at 8 we managed to box a 18 .

Where exactly is Bell Bouy? I will be going out of McDonald's tomorrow morning and is it towards Sandbanks or do you head to QE marker area?

Thanks

Hi guys, I was out today for 4 hours and the fishing is great near the south arm , I netted a 17lb white spring, (2) hugu soxs (biggest I have ever netted) and 1 pink. Not a bad day for being on the boat myself and getting the double hitter of soxs , fishing was fantastic. I was fishing 40-55 feet in 120 feet of water at a fast 3.0-4.5 knot speed with pink soxs hoochies and anchovie, Can u believe it one of the socs took the anchovie and the spring took the pink (I have had other springs hit pinks but neve a sox take an anchovie)
The fishing is great at the south arm so get out and have a blast !

RS-17lbStripng-Aug15-2011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back