The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

Hey Bif,
I buy them at the fuel dock at mosquito they have them there, they also have them at army and navy here in langley,
berry's in richmond usually has the best selection and you can size them there too
Tim

Berrys selection has been depleted they only have 5 1/4 inchers, that was last tues so you might want to give them a call first if your making a special trip to Richmond

Hmmm so much positive maybes about the South Arm , I just might have to hit it on Wednesday but I really want to take a look at Pt Atkinson and the Fisheries.
YOU GUYS ARE MAKEING IT REALLY TOUGH TO DECIDE so maybe I should rob the piggy bank and get a full thank of gas and hit-em both LOL

Hey gidyup !

Thats a forsure on the seatrial of the sir-vivor with out the training wheels (Hydros) and ony the trim tabs (sports) .
I have always had Hydros so it will be a first for me but something tells me I wont like it .... hope I am wrong !

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up on this FM !

I noticed that there were several small boats with nets in the river at the south arm today at steveston , must be the Native fishery

went to fisheries and trolled the west van shoreline. had 2 no sticks on hootchies. lost a coho at the boat when it spat the hook(green glo head and my buddy landed a 5 lb pink. the first fish in his new boat. he was stoked

Just got back from Hardy Sun, we couldn't keep the sox & the pinks off our lines was about a 5:1 ratio pinks over sox. And they were thick, a constant steam of jumpers passed the boat every 10 mins when the bite was on, they will be thick down here this weekend!!

So pinks are open and we are waiting for rec ? You would think they would open rec out in the ocean as we barely stand a chance to get one anyway.

So pinks are open and we are waiting for rec ? You would think they would open rec out in the ocean as we barely stand a chance to get one anyway.

"rec" as in "recreational fisherpeople"....to fish for pinks?? :confused: They are open all over the place for retention in the chuck; 29 (the whole area) and areas of 28 as noted below.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=134097&ID=recreational

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=134461&ID=recreational

I may have misunderstood your post as I am not sure what you mean as "rec" and "barely stand a chance to get one". :confused:

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0694-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Sockeye retention in Southern B.C. Waters

The current status of the Fraser River sockeye salmon returns provides for
sockeye salmon retention opportunities for recreational fisheries in most
Southern B.C. marine waters as noted below:

Effective 00:01 hours Wednesday, August 10 until further notice, in the
following areas, the daily limit for sockeye by recreational fishing is two (2)
per day:

- Area 12 - Subareas 12-1 to 12-4 and Area 13(Johnstone Strait);
- Areas 14, 15, 17, 18 and 19 (Strait of Georgia);
- Area 20 (Juan de Fuca Strait);
- Areas 21, 121 and 123 to 127 (West Coast of Vancouver Island). Note: Area 23
(Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet) is open to retention of Somass sockeye (refer
to FN0447);
- Area 28 (Howe Sound, Burrard Inlet and Indian Arm);
- Area 29 (Subareas 29-1 to 29-5).
Note: Opportunities in the remainder of Area 29 including the tidal portions of
the Fraser River will be announced by a separate fishery notice.

Sockeye retention is not permitted in the following areas:

- Area 16 – remains closed to sockeye retention in order to protect Sakinaw
Lake sockeye. It is anticipated that Subareas 16-19 to 21 (Sabine Channel)
could open to sockeye retention in early August and will be confirmed by
fishery notice;
- In Nitinat Lake (Area 22).
- In Subarea 29-8 (Boundary Bay);

Notes:
Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia. This includes all species of fish in the Fraser
River.

Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye. These fish are
hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase the
numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye.

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical
information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Rockfish Conservation Areas that are currently in effect and are closed to all
fin fishing. Descriptions of these closures, and other recreational fishing
information, can be found on the Internet at:

www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1(866)431-FISH.

Variation Order No. 2011-382

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact the local DFO office in your area for updated information as it becomes
available.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0694
Sent August 9, 2011 at 13:18
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

"rec" as in "recreational fisherpeople"....to fish for pinks?? :confused: They are open all over the place for retention in the chuck; 29 (the whole area) and areas of 28 as noted below.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=134097&ID=recreational

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=134461&ID=recreational

I may have misunderstood your post as I am not sure what you mean as "rec" and "barely stand a chance to get one". :confused:

Sorry I mean recreational fishers, I just figure with the high pink count and the low sock numbers what are the odds on getting them? And are these socks the biters?

They bite well if you're using the right techniques. A fellow guide hit 4 yesterday on Anchovies while targetting Chinooks. That's 4 confirmed Sox, and not Pinks. I can only imagine what would have happened if he had down the full gamutt of Sockeye gear.

They bite well if you're using the right techniques. A fellow guide hit 4 yesterday on Anchovies while targetting Chinooks. That's 4 confirmed Sox, and not Pinks. I can only imagine what would have happened if he had down the full gamutt of Sockeye gear.

O.k. looks like I can get away Thursday, heading to Sandheads.

Is there retention of sox at sandheads?? I read it as area 28 and then 29-1 to 29 - 5 which I don't think includes sandheads?? correct me if I'm wrong??
FM where did they hit the sox while targeting chinook?

area29.jpg

Fished off the Southarm Sunday aft, didnt put in alot of effort...first trip out in over a month due to boat issues and work. Beauty sock on a chovie at 65, had one good whack that didnt stick, werent no sock either as it bounced hard and popped. big ugly push still outta the Fraser, way worse than I have seen it in a long time.
Got word from the old boy where I moor my boat that there was some action out off of canoe down to the super port for springs...shuda listened to him.
Saw a few jumpers and marked a few schools...lotsa bait as well.
Like FM says, im sure if put down the pink and bling and slowed er down we could have thrown some more in...so with how it is looking could be a few shots at socks before we are wading through the pinks.
Still looking for some springers and will target and report...out again this weekend.

Cheers,

Getbent

So unless I'm missing something, it's no sox retention at Sandheads... Guess I'll have to head out to the QA tomorrow then

So unless I'm missing something, it's no sox retention at Sandheads... Guess I'll have to head out to the QA tomorrow then

Go get em and post a report, Eriks. I got to get off the computer. Off to Ukee Thursday.

Subarea 29-4

Those waters in that portion of the Strait of Georgia bounded by a line from Thrasher Rock Light, thence southeasterly to Salamanca Point, thence following the shoreline of Galiano Island to Rip Point, thence to Georgina Point on Mayne Island, thence 356° true to the Roberts Bank Horn (No. 309), thence to Sand Heads Light, thence westerly to Thrasher Rock Light, except that portion which lies within the territorial waters of the United States of America.

http://faolex.fao.org/docs/html/can24149.htm

Fished howe sound for a whole 20 minutes this evening..lol. I was waiting to pick up my daughter from the ferry and dropped the lines. Managed a single undersized spring on a green/silver ko-ho spoon at 70 feet.

Tomorrow might be out in the straight if the weather is nice.

Back