TRUCKS, BOATS AND HELICOPTERS: PART 1

Sharphooks

Every Fall since the mid 70's I've gone north to Skeena country to chase steelhead. Back in the good old days there were more fish then people. It was normal to have 5 fish mornings, sometimes more, and usually you had the river to yourself. It was a bottomless cornucopia, and me being the naive fishermen I was, for some silly reason thought the good times would never end.

Then came the internet and the lodges and the guides in their jet boats and all of a sudden that fountain of joy wasn't so joyous anymore. You had to get cagey with your movements, scrambling down into canyons at dawn with miner lamps strapped to your head to maybe get a fish or two before the guides showed up in their 20 foot sleds bristling with rods and cigar chomping high rollers.

Then climate change and the interception of Skeena-bound steelhead up in Alaska came in and really spoiled the party: what had once been a run estimated at 35,000 fish was in 2023, projected to be no more then perhaps 11,000 fish ---- a bit less then 50% of what the biologists had determined was the minimum escapement needed to maintain this world reknowned steelhead run

So this October I went north with heavy heart. Should I even fish at all on a run so dramatically reduced? To hedge my bets, I booked a spot for my truck and camper on the BC Ferries boat for Haida Gwaii. The plan was just to dabble on the mainstem Skeena on the way to Prince RUpert---just go through the motions for a few days or so....see what happened. I could explore Haida Gwaii and maybe get a few coho . Haida Gwaii would be my real Fall trip. That's how I approached October this year

Meanwhile, steelhead fishing is all about timing. The entire Skeena system had been plagued with low water all of September. The day I arrived there was a big bump in Skeena water volume from rain in the upper reaches. That was definitely a good sign. And the dropping temperatures were bringing the river down fast

Lucky me: that push of water seemed to shuffle some fish around. My first two days on the Skeena mainstem and I stumbled in to four forgeous fish, one of them a doe that was pushing 20 lbs
50A4869A-9A1B-4FBC-96B4-425500365883.jpeg

Four fish so quickly? I was pensive about such good fishing … had there been a big push of fish the biologists didn't take into account in their projections or had these fish already been accounted for in the dismal Tyee test fishery results?

I don’t usually run away from fish but I couldn’t leave for Prince Rupert without first fishing the Bulkley. It also had a bump in river height and my favorite spot also has dramatic scenery:

89903CBF-7C2D-4BBF-851A-9334063A4DEA.jpeg
I did a long hike through the woods singing nonsense songs to alert the bears. Then I finally get to my magic spot and first cast, are you kidding me? That is what happened. My fly wasjust dabbling on the surface of the river the leader hadn't cleared the top of the rod and it was off to the races and I hadn't really even made a cast yet. Five jumps and a 10 pound doe spit the fly back at me. That was a nice way to get back on the Bulkley. Then boom, another fish just a few casts later. This was truly a shock to me. Zero other people on the river because the reports had been so bad and here I was stumbling into multiple fish in just a few casts

I decide to go for ther long shot, easy to do after you've caught a few fish and the pressure is off. I did a hell-hike up the other side of the river. You have to do some sketchy rock climbing where a fall could easily break a bone or two. BUt there were some rapids at the top end with a canyon just above the rapids. It's always been a fishy place for me

A few casts in my spot and I get a huge take-down. Eight jumps later I snaked a 17 pound buck into the shallows. Wow, a 3 fish morning....crazy!
66FB4CC8-7134-4391-9DD7-886C63DA816B.jpeg

And there on the beach a pile of beer cans. Who would do that in such a gorgeous place? And in the middle of the pile, a full box of flies. My first thought was---here's living proof that spey fishing has gone mainstream because now even the slobs are doing it

Someone had gotten liquored up and forgot their fly box. Well, fine with me. It was my compensation for picking up the beer cans and after inspecting them, I immediately saw it was a gold mine of potential for future fish, especially if the water got high and muddy again

57E10C96-8BA5-43CF-8BEB-EE471254FBB7.jpeg

Back