The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

Go get em and post a report, Eriks. I got to get off the computer. Off to Ukee Thursday.

Subarea 29-4

Those waters in that portion of the Strait of Georgia bounded by a line from Thrasher Rock Light, thence southeasterly to Salamanca Point, thence following the shoreline of Galiano Island to Rip Point, thence to Georgina Point on Mayne Island, thence 356° true to the Roberts Bank Horn (No. 309), thence to Sand Heads Light, thence westerly to Thrasher Rock Light, except that portion which lies within the territorial waters of the United States of America.

http://faolex.fao.org/docs/html/can24149.htm

Sounds good, should be fish there.

Going to head out to fish soxs on the far side of the sand heads light , since its open Wednesday , sure hope there aren't a lot of nets in the S arm (Area 29-4 , -3) , if you see me out there give me a shout on 88A or come on by and give a waive or Hollar !

Last edited by a moderator:
Love to hear from anyone out there today as I'm deciding if I should take tomorrow off or not? :confused:

Hey Blackmax,

I was out today from 730-130PM fishing the south arm for Chinooks, Coho, Pinks and Soxs (Area 49-4 near the south arm light) and nada !

I did see some nice schools when I first got out but they vanished really fast and then had trouble finding them.

I was listening closely to the guys on the VHF and everyone was saying it was not happening today for some reason and they were fishing the North Shore area (Cap to Point Atkninsons).

If I had tomorrow off , I would be fishing the QA and North Shore and STAYING AWAY FROM THE SOUTH ARM , but thats what I would do.

If you get out let us know how you do eh !

Clint

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys. went out today with j-global. launched his boat at macdonald with the intention of heading south to the t 10 and fishing south to sandheads. Saw a guy fishing around corner of the north arm and we dropped the rods. j-had a good hit within 10 mins. and brought up mangled chovie. as he was resetting my bottom rod got hit hard and had a fish on. a decent fight and we boxed a 15 lb.red spring. Reset rods and it was back to vancouver fishing no hits for the last 2.5 hrs.although did bring up chovie with end and tail gone right behind hook anyways it was nice to finally get 1. been pretty dry for me locally as far as keepers go. maybe back out tomorrow. hits at 40ft and 50ft.
on chovies green glow heads

I went out from Mcdonald at 530am. Got 1 line down at the bell bouy and ended up with a nice sock in the cooler. Pink squirt 6 ft above a green kona zone at 60ft. I had visions of a an early limit of socks not to be. Fished for 3 hours there using chovie stacked on one side and the sox setup on the other. We headed over to West Van for 4 hours and got one hatchery coho and 1 hit left me reeling up a piece of mangled bate. Went back to the bell bouy and had a good hit on the squirt but lost it about 5 seconds later. It was a promising start...

Spent a couple hours out at sandheads this evening with my daughter. Saw a few jumpers but none landed in my boat.

Picked up another undersized spring on my ko-ho spoon. I gotta stop using that lure. It never fails to catch a fish but they are always little 15" springs.

I went out to Bell Bouy and fished towards QA. Was only out for about 45mins at high tide. Water was still dirty, but got a hit and a kid I had brought along to catch his first Salmon lost it just before I could get a decent look at it. I'd like to think that it was a nice soft mouthed sock, as the kid was doing most things right.
I had my sock gear out (pink squirts above dummy flashers) right close to the release clip. Hope the water clears up and we start nailing sox. I was also at 40' and 60'. Fish hit at 40'

Left Ladner about 5pm last night, heading for Sandheads.....great evening, flat water and a great sunset. marked some fish on the screen and 3 jumpers, stack of sockeye flashers on one side with chovie and Kone Zone on the other. 6 boats out, didn't see a fish caaught . We had on briefly , looked like a sockeye but gone before we could release it from the clip. They are not here yet but there gonna be ....

Effective 00:01 hours Saturday, August 13, 2011 until 23:59 hours, Monday
August 15, 2011, in Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 (known as "the banana")
and 29-11 to 29-17 (tidal waters of the Fraser River) retention of sockeye is
permitted with a daily limit of two (2) per day. Sockeye retention is not
permitted in Subarea 29-8 (Boundary Bay).

The next update regarding the status of the recreational sockeye retention
fishery will be Monday, August 15, 2011 following the next Fraser River Panel
meeting.

Variation Order No. 2011-387.

Notes:

Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye. These fish are
hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase the
numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x...m?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=134917&ID=all

Out again
After hearing from a friend that he caught a 20lb.red (still waitng for pic) out towards the qa. 50 ft. silver chovie head.
J-global and i decided to head out again and launched 4 30. got out front of the north arm and dropped rods to troll towards
the qa. before i got both rods down due to a mega mess of flashers hootchies and stuff shane had a fish on. put up a decnt scrap
and we soon netted a 13 lb spring. we didnt get another sniff. beauty night on water. heard radio chatter of a near tyee taken at the cap during tonights flood tide from the guides

Any word on sockeyes from yesterday afternoon or last night from 29.3 thru 29.5 in the open areas off of the North Arm, T-10 and Sandheads? I have a couple hours late afternoon today to drop the lines on the way to Salt Spring and have been asked to bring a sockeye for tomorrow's dinner (no pressure!). I am heading thru Porlier to Salt Spring but the late afternoon flood may likely kill any chance for the east side / outside of Porlier so any thoughts or reports would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and I will report back.

Hmmmm, three day opening in the banana , here is my 2 cents

DFOTshirt.jpg

Off West Van right now, tons of fish on the finder. No hits and haven't seen any fish landed.

I am heading out to the sand heads sat morn. what is everybody's experience with the winds?

I have been watching it over the years and have almost got it down to a science I think.

Wind blows over 15 from the north west don't go.

S E is usually good because it is blowing off the mainland. It doesn't get to bad maybe a chop. Sat morn is 15 to 25 south east, I am assuming a 2 to 4 foot chop, maybe more? On the gov web site it says strong wind warning, but no small craft warning.

I have a 17 ft k and c I run and It handles the weather okay but I still have to be careful. Also once you get around the jetty It can break the brunt of the weather, north west, u can find calm on the south side, S E you can find calm on the north side.

Just wondering what others opinions are. Should I stay or should I go....hmmmmm....

I guess I can always go out and if it is to ruff just anchor and drink a beer in the river and cast for an early pink.

"small craft warning" is not used anymore -thats why there is no small craft warning.

Buzzed out the Harbour thru the little pack of boats at the Bell Buoy and thought about stopping but proceeded to run over to just west of the T10. No sooner had we dropped the lines at T10 then we heard there was a patch of springs running thru the Bell Buoy ... Oh well. Kept one sockeye and one pink, released a pink and lost a few others during a brief, but active, fish near T10. An unusual number of grilse though. Then ran across the strait thru Porlier and saw little on the sounder.

I did not expect much of the day today, my chartplotter died, so no sounder, speedo etc..
i went straight to the bell bouy as I was fairly certain of the depths and landed a nice red 20lb spring. 50 ft on an anchovie.
Saw one guide boat pull in a nice looking spring just before i left around 6:30pm

Anyone have a spare Raymarine A65?

Back