Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2013...

Hey Guys,

I sent Dave a message but not sure he'll get it before I am up in CR tomorrow.

I was on the Tyee Club's website and it doesn't really give any info on "how" to get aboard a rowboat....who to contact about availability etc?

Anyone know?

Got your PM Scott and replied.

Take care.

Here's my faithful crew from last evening with me giving the secret sign to my mutant sisters.
Great time although our fishing effort suffered somewhat from lack of intense concentration as we bantered about so many things.
As they appear to be on TV is how they are and anyone could enjoy their company as much as I did.

I managed a couple of good laughs from fellow rowers when I pointed out I was so desperate for rod-holders I had to bring in "ringers" from Ontario.

Angelo and Pete got a kick out of being called "rod-holders" so I explained the history behind all that too.

All in all a most enjoyable evening for me and I look forward to how the show turns out after editing.

Should air sometime before Christmas they said so keep an eye out.

Take care.

Dave I know what your problem was the other night.... Those guys are bass fishermen, you need to take salmon fishermen to catch salmon. :)

Dave-- has there been any response from DFO or Transport canada?

I'm not sure if anything "formal" will arise but I believe the young fellows responsible have had a bit of a talking to by a variety of people concerned about their actions.
All I've heard is scuttlebutt around the clubhouse and I'm not connected enough elsewhere anymore to pursue more info.

We'll see I suppose.

Take care.

Rowed a fellow from Vancouver and his young son last nite.
Lots of salmon activity but no Tyee caught by anyone.

Tres miserable right now with SE wind and lotsa rain off and on.

Still August??????

Take care.

that jackass wants to fish for food?then he should sit his butt in a row boat like the rest of the people out there. never seen anyone show up with a gillnetting rig just fishing for food.and he says it was a bit of a protest because the sockeye fishery is closed....well its jack asses like that are the reason why the sockeye fishing is closed.What an idiot!

Just in from watching the one diehard (unidentified) drifting in the SE wind south to north through the pool.

The surf's not big enough to surf but it was sure bumping them around when they motored back down to do it again.

Absolutely ugly nite in the old Tyee Pool, believe me.

Here's pictorial proof of true diehardism................or maybe some other description should prevail. LOL

Motored all the way down then drifted back with the wind.

More core than me.

Take care.

Last edited:
And the drought continues.

Despite numerous fish showing nobody has managed a Tyee since last Tuesday nite, the second multi-day drought this season.

I'm just home from a meeting wherein a number of topics related to this were discussed with some different scenarios presented.
Suffice it to say for now that some old and venerable Tyee guys are very concerned and have been crunching both numbers and ideas about the situation with other concerned anglers.
Factor in the recent gill-netting incident and what future ramifications may arise from that and it was an energetic conversation.

In the meantime, the diehard day guys with their years of spooning the bar experience are coming up bone dry this year and for the last couple of days we've noted a strange foam in the pool, appearing a short time after the start of the flood, about when they start hanging spoons off the bar. Three nites ago the foam was really noticeable as it got caught up in a large back-eddy and circulated right around the pool.

What it is and where it's coming from remain to be discovered, along with whether there is any relationship to the holding patterns of Campbell River Chinook or not.

Interesting times indeed.

Take care.

Another interesting nite in the pool but no Tyee registered.

I had another first-timer in my boat so used the opportunity to try a couple of ideas out and we managed a small cod and a 20 something Chinook, hooked right after I made a slight adjustment in length of line to weight plus went from four ounces to three.
I also hung around where we could see fish all around us, you know, the surfacing non-biters.
Figuring most of the fish seemed to be shallow and hanging in a shallow corner I fished there and went shallow.
I'm a fishing genius. LOL
All the experienced guys were hundreds of yards south of us so we only had to pass two guys to get the fish outside.......which took us into the full ebb current which wafted us gently northward as Merv masterfully managed the fish. We could tell immediately it wasn't a Tyee but it was a scrapper and kept us on our toes until safely in the net.
Fun to have some action after you've tried something new too.

Or I'm fluky as heck, who knows??

Take care.

Couple more barely Tyee's the past two nites to break our second multi-day drought but nothing big or exciting to report.

Lots of fish showing all around us last nite but no biters.

Still lots of silver Pinks in the pool too, so great returns for them here again.

Take care.

Dave,

Great report and read :)
How far are the pinks from shore? Are they there most of the day or during certain tides.

Just visiting CR for a few days and thinking of casting to them from shore.

Still seeing lots of fresh fish pushing in on the river.
Thanks,

HS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Thursday nite update:

No Tyee tonite but three or four undersized.
Two Tyee yesterday and one each the previous two days with a number of unders too.

The Pinks in the pool are way out of any casting from shore range but I see people casting from the end of the spit now and then.
Don't know of any successes though.
I've got a 10' Davidson rowboat available if you'd like to row around the estuary chasing Pinks and Cutthroat.

Let me know and I'll set you up with it.

Lovely evening just to be out tonite.

Take care.

Appreciate the offer Dave :) I do have a pontoon with me and have row the Tyee pool years ago with it and found to be lots work.
Those row boats look effortless cutting though water! Do temp to toss a fly at those jumping 'Chinooks though! Found more enjoyment chasing Cohos in beaches. You guys live in paradise, although Victoria is not too bad. Good luck out there! Take care and keep those reports coming.

Hi all,

Thursday nite update:

No Tyee tonite but three or four undersized.
Two Tyee yesterday and one each the previous two days with a number of unders too.

The Pinks in the pool are way out of any casting from shore range but I see people casting from the end of the spit now and then.
Don't know of any successes though.
I've got a 10' Davidson rowboat available if you'd like to row around the estuary chasing Pinks and Cutthroat.

Let me know and I'll set you up with it.

Lovely evening just to be out tonite.

Take care.

Wish I could report something exciting but we're stalled at 45 Tyee it seems.
Gorgeous evenings but no biters and bad tides with very little change.
Three nites left but not feeling optimistic at all.

But I'll be out there.

Take care.

Back