Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2013...

Thought I'd share the moonrise over Quadra with you guys.......and gals.

Bit blurry but I'm old and shaky using a small camera with a telephoto, so be gentle.

Starts like this:

Then gets like this:

And then:

Then Ross Spiers rows another, by actual count his umpteenth, and his buddy rang the bell.

And here's the happy couple:

And so it goes........

Take care.

Good grief.
I just previewed this post and these pics really are bad.
I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong.
Really wrong. lol

No, you are not doing anything wrong. We appreciate your reports and photos. But, here's a tip for everyone.

The photos you upload to Photobucket are not very good, unless you enjoy postage stamps.

There is a great way to upload photos without using photobucket,

No Tyee this morning and none last night either.

Got the 50th. anniversary of my Graduation later today and looking forward to that.

Some of those cute girls in High School who used to ignore me might be widows now and I'm single...............snort ...........snort. LOL

Take care.

I'll wear my "beer goggles" and they'll be fine.

Take care.

howdy. i'm keen to try fishing the Pool from my sea kayak. i know you can only use weights, which is all i can use of course. what is the approximate depth you guys are trying to achieve and what sort of weights do you use to get there? are deep six divers allowed or used?

i've yet to catch a salmon from my kayak, but i certainly have tried. i've been out to Kitty Coleman hump a number of times, 2 hrs minimum, and no luck. very hard for me to get very deep from my kayak, short of jigging.

howdy. i'm keen to try fishing the Pool from my sea kayak. i know you can only use weights, which is all i can use of course. what is the approximate depth you guys are trying to achieve and what sort of weights do you use to get there? are deep six divers allowed or used?

i've yet to catch a salmon from my kayak, but i certainly have tried. i've been out to Kitty Coleman hump a number of times, 2 hrs minimum, and no luck. very hard for me to get very deep from my kayak, short of jigging.

Strict rules for fishing in the pool. Go to their website and read the rod reel tackle restrictions.

Just to be clear, the Tyee Club rules apply only if you wish to register a Tyee.

As long as you do not motor in the pool or use a weight greater than 6 oz. you can fish any way you want.

There are a few jiggers who drift through the pool when the rowers are absent but they cannot register any fish caught.

Take care

i certainly have read the Tyeeclub website, probably every letter on every page. Dave H, thanks for the note. dare i say it, i have no desire to catch an actual tyee, or register with the club. that would be very difficult to manage in a sea kayak, the likelihood of landing it would be very small. what i look for is ocean locations that are relatively easy to access as i do not have a motor, and shallow enough depth to have a chance, and known to be where people catch fish. that they tyee pool has the additional restrictions and therefore has less noise and fumes is all the better for me, it's weird being the only guy in a non-motorized craft on the water sometimes, and trying to fish.

Gotcha.

Lots of Pinks and Cutties nearby too but flyfishing is the most fun with them.

Good luck and have fun.

Take care.

I just got back home from a couple days in CR and I also fish out of my kayak. I went up and down the pool several times each day and can tell you you don't need much weight at all. It's only 45-60 feet deep max, depending on the tide. The current can be a *****, worse the further from shore you get. You may end up fishing a line slightly farther out than the rowers, remember, you can't fight a fish and paddle to deeper/safer water like the rowers can.

I just got back home from a couple days in CR and I also fish out of my kayak. I went up and down the pool several times each day and can tell you you don't need much weight at all. It's only 45-60 feet deep max, depending on the tide. The current can be a *****, worse the further from shore you get. You may end up fishing a line slightly farther out than the rowers, remember, you can't fight a fish and paddle to deeper/safer water like the rowers can.

Saw you out there and appreciated your efforts.
Good job on staying out of the way too.

Appreciated.

Take care.

PS: No Tyee for four days now and nobody knows why.

Perhaps weather change will help 'cause not great evening tides right now either.

Interesting evening tonite as a couple of First Nations fellas decided to use their bow-picker to drift a net through the Tyee Pool in the middle of the evening row.
They roared in from the south right through to the inside of the pool at the south end and proceeded to drop a buoy then pulled out a length of gillnet to which they attached another buoy. They then sat near it as it slowly drifted north.
A few rowers exchanged words with them, many people photographed or videoed them and eventually a couple of either RCMP or DFO officers arrived in their small boat and approached and appeared to board them. It was pretty dark by then and difficult to see exactly what was going down but they motored away shortly afterwards and we'll find out more later.
Most people were more annoyed they motored in amongst the rowers rather than they were harvesting fish, or attempting to, as is their right.

On my walk down to the clubhouse I met a First Nations guy I know and he was absolutely irate at what the boat was doing, calling it "stupid" and "totally disrespectful to the rowers." "We're allowed a certain number of "pieces" but this is really a dumb thing for these guys to do," he claimed. "Not going to win any friends this way."

No Tyee tonite that I'm aware of and doesn't look good for the next couple of evening tides either.

Oh well..................

Take care.

New fish have arrived with a 33 registered this morning and a non-registered 48 was caught by a motor-boater last nite.

New optimism now.

Take care.

At least three Tyee registered tonite including a 41 pounder with a few undersized too.
New fish for sure so game on again.

Alas for me, my two highly touted rod-holders failed me miserably.

We all agreed I rowed magnificently, as always, but with their experience more centered on Bass, Walleye, Pike, Perch, Crappies and other members of the Lobster family, I had little support, although Angelo did hook and bring to hand a lovely piece of Bull Kelp.

Without a Tyee of our own I offered to badger one of my pals who had one in hand to lend it to us, but once again my efforts were rebuffed.
Some people and their silly ethics and stuff.......geeze.......... lol.

All's well that ends well though so after salmon burgers on the beach in front of the Tyee Clubhouse, a couple of pictures taken with Angelo Viola and Pete Bowman, two of the funnest rod-holders I've had to date, I managed to sneak off still wearing the Fish'N Canada cap they made me wear. That'll show 'em.

I'll update with pics later.

In the meantime,

Take care.

A guide friend re-posted this on facebook....gillnetting the Tyee pool... (never been there so do not know if it is accurate)

1173836_10153188447750265_1538941775_n.jpg

Back