Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2013...

Whale of a show tonite as we watched a number of whales (Humpbacks maybe??) blowing and rolling and showing their tails out mid-channel.
Really neat.
In addition two guys showed up at dark with a 35 pounder they had been fighting for quite some time.

Didn't get names but saw the fish weighed so now we have 46 Tyee for the season with two days to go.

Later.

Take care

And so the season ended last nite and a lovely nite it was.
After a day of fog, rain, clouds, thunder and lightning it turned out very calm and flat for the last nite rowers.
Earlier in the day Randy Killoran rowed a pal into a 38 pounder which turned out to be the last fish of the season.
He had a heckuva year after his blank of last year and ended up rowing four Tyee including the first of the year with Fred Gerl and the last of the year with Gordon Gerl.
Considering he survived a helicopter crash in April and recovered from his injuries in time to row it seems very just that he did so well.
I ended with but one this year but at 45 pounds it was the third largest overall so I'm happy.

For those of you who made it out with me this year...............we'll get'em next time.
For those who didn't make it out with me...........we'll get you out next year.
I broke my camera a week ago so have no pics from last nite or the past week so apologies for that.

All the best to my trusty rodholders and keep an eye out for the Fish'N Canada show featuring Campbell River which should air sometime before Christmas.
I'll be the tall guy. LOL

Take care,

Thanks Dave for all your efforts to post updates and pics. This was one of the most enjoyable threads all summer!

My pleasure.

Take care.

Thanks Dave for all the commentary and congratulations on that 45 wow. Cant believe the season is over already! Sounds like some seriously good times!

I too want to add my thanks. I really enjoyed reading this thread this year and last. Someday, I'll find my way up there to give the old school methods a shot. Keep up the good work.

Hmmmm, I'm going to be out there at the end of July. I really would like to give this a try with my boy....

Hmmmm, I'm going to be out there at the end of July. I really would like to give this a try with my boy....

Sorry man but no bait allowed, and besides, using your boy seems rather mean.............................................................oh........wait a sec here.........you mean you'd like your boy to try fishing with you..................I see.

Well ok then.

PM me near when you'll be here and I'll set you up.

And the boat is launched already and the new thread for this year will start tomorrow.

Take care.

Most know the pools as tyee pools .what is the history of the north west pool frenchmans pool,how did it get it's name?

Most know the pools as tyee pools .what is the history of the north west pool frenchmans pool,how did it get it's name?

Frenchman's has produced some of the biggest fish historically. Back in the 80's when I used to fish a fair amount, I prefered the more relaxed row about. My friend who lived just down from Dolphins hammered Tyee's putting around in his 12' tinner using plugs he'd carved himself. Many power boats fished there as it is close to the new Painter's dock. Last time out I broke my friends prop sneaking back to the marina a cross the bar.
I don't know why it gets very little attention now. Are the fish just not holding there anymore? Are more of the C.R. fish hanging to the South towards town?

Without researching it. My guess for naming "Frenchman's Pool" would be that some old French hermit ran a still in a shack along the beach there, and he'd charge out naked, waving a big stickand yelling french profanities to anyone that neared his spot. (Totally made up.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I have to be registered as a guide and hold certification in bc to be on the struggle sticks for a registered club tyee?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back