Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2013...

42.5 this morning by a buddy and his friend way to go Chris

I'm so behind here I'm almost sorry to bring you this latest update.

The 42 1/2 fish was going to be my headline but..............................every picture almost tells a story ..........so...........

50 1/2 inches long by 30 1/2 inches in girth.

The fish was registered by Mr. Mike Gage, rowed by his son Richard.

This is Mike's second son who has rowed a 60 pounder as his other boy rowed a 63 something back in the 70's.

Could not have happened to a more deserving man too.

When they initially hung the fish on the scale it read 56 pounds until someone noticed the head was dragging on the ground.
They dug a hole under the fish so it could hang free and got the 61 1/2 pounds then.

I feel sorry for the guys who got the 42 1/2 pounder as their glory got stomped tonite and as a rookie rower and a new member rowed they certainly deserve some credit.

We now have eight Tyee and six were caught by new members.

Looking good so far.

Take care.

Last edited:
When they initially hung the fish on the scale it read 56 pounds until someone noticed the tail was bent over and dragging on the ground.
They dug a hole under the fish so it could hang free and got the 61 1/2 pounds then.

:eek::D:cool: wow. Great story too.

Any more pics of the fish? Looks like he has battle helmet for a face. What amazing fish year for the island.

Wow, nice fish. All we could manage was one teener and a coho. Do row boats come with a toilet for the wife...LOL

Wow, nice fish. All we could manage was one teener and a coho. Do row boats come with a toilet for the wife...LOL

Depends on how accurate she can pee. lol

Take care.

There is probably not a person on here who wouldn't have loved to take that fish with a naked lure. No motors , no electronics, no downriggers, no flasher, no bait. For me this is the most impressive fish taken this year around the island outstanding!

There is probably not a person on here who wouldn't have loved to take that fish with a naked lure. No motors , no electronics, no downriggers, no flasher, no bait. For me this is the most impressive fish taken this year around the island outstanding!

1+

It is a good story.

After a little more thought, Holy fack nice fish..... :)

I'm grateful a few have noted what Mike has put back into salmon betterment and as far as I'm concerned nobody deserved a fish like that more than Mike.

Also makes him a unique Father as he now has two sons who have rowed an over 60 lb Tyee. Son Roger rowed a 63 lb Tyee in 1979 when he was but 16 years old.

Makes Betty unique also given she's the Mom who has two sons etc etc.

Good stuff all around.

Take care.

What a great story. That must have been an epic fight.

Hot day today as six Tyee were registered including the second biggest fish to date, a 45 pound beauty.

Hopefully I'll have some pics soon or you could check the Tyee Club website.

I'm pooped so off to bed.

Take care.

Back