Sooke Reports - 2007

Congratulations Wolf, that is a beautiful fish. I have been following this chat room for about a year and have always been impressed with your willingness to help with advice and suggestions. Plus you are always positive to everyone else. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

yeah, heard it was an old guy fishing by himself that caught that 51...assuming thats true, thats impressive!

I dont think it is a coincidence that the year we see large amounts of pilchards in these waters we also see large fish being caught. I remember talking to a old timer about catching herring in the gorge. He said 1 lb herring were the norm, oddly enough big springs were common back then too (big feed/big fish). Of course once the commercial sector hammers the pilchards back to the stone age it will be back to 19 lb springs. I am not blaming the commercial guys, they make their living off the ocean. I put the blame on DFO's shoulders. Anyway that fish you got wolf is a once in a lifetime fish. Well done. I am truly impressed.

barbender, do you think that a lot of big fish have been caught this year? isn't that the first 50 out of Sooke all year?!

i would agree that the pilchards in now and the big fish in now are probably related, but i thought that this year the average size of fish was smaller...

any thoughts?

Well good point likwit. I was thinking more that the pichards just showed up and suddenly we are seeing big big fish being caught. Your point about the whole year is a good one and I agree. However if you look at Wolf's 36 from last week. That fish should be around high 20's but with the pilchards it porked out. Just a observation nothing more.

Well i looked at the numbers of the fish the boat got in recent years and the avg. weight is down a bit last year the avg for me was about a 24 lber this year is was a 21 lber the days of the big springs are basically over 5 years ago there were at least 15 springs over 50 now 2 even the charlotte numbers of over 60 and 50s are down!!!
Update forgot to mention my guests today got 2 25 lbers and a nice mature spring whos belly was ready to burst at a whopping 12 lbs glad to take that out of the gene pool

Wolf

fished otter ,to muir this morning no chinook for me but lots of coho released a #12 , kept an #8 . Had a wolf sighting today looked like he got another nice one. Nice day on the water flat calm , sunny and warm .:D:D

You are right there frayed got a nice buck 34 lbs and fought fantastic first ever tyee for my good buddy and was he ever pumped all day couldnt take that grin off his face notice the favorite house in the background!!!!!!out again tommorow

sookefishing2007186.jpg

Good luck Wolf

Good day out there again for my crew 37,27,20 and 2 teens rough as hell first thing then came up then down again then sun WTF weird weather nice thing NOT alot of boats where did every one go?????to answer you time havent got a pink in about 5 days now but I am starting to hit the coho and heard they are starting to come in a bit stronger night be a plan for the weekend!!!!!!

sookefishing2007192.jpg

Good luck Wolf

Back