Shop knocked over my kicker. Double Eagle 185 Kicker Replacement suggestions?

N2013

Putting a feeler out for recommendations on a new trolling motor for my DE 185. Shop that was working on it, knocked it over, cracked the power head&camshaft. They just did a $700 job for me to replace some seals as well. They’re offering to replace the parts and make it right. I’m not too keen on piecing together a motor. It’s a 2010 Tohatsu 8HP electric start. Has some miles on it but has ran like a top! PI’ve asked them for 2 routes:
- fix everything and be on my way (minus the cost of the work)
- replace with a new 8 or 9.9. Electric with power tilt, tiller.

Thought I’d ask the community for advice on the path to go. I know I’m probably not too far down the road from a kicker replacement anyways so I’m leaning that route but just want to see what sort of $ I’m looking at first. They’re a good shop and have been honest. I’ll continue to get work there regardless. Sh*t happens, I get it.

Putting a feeler out for recommendations on a new trolling motor for my DE 185. Shop that was working on it, knocked it over, cracked the power head&camshaft. They just did a $700 job for me to replace some seals as well. They’re offering to replace the parts and make it right. I’m not too keen on piecing together a motor. It’s a 2010 Tohatsu 8HP electric start. Has some miles on it but has ran like a top! PI’ve asked them for 2 routes:
- fix everything and be on my way (minus the cost of the work)
- replace with a new 8 or 9.9. Electric with power tilt, tiller.

Thought I’d ask the community for advice on the path to go. I know I’m probably not too far down the road from a kicker replacement anyways so I’m leaning that route but just want to see what sort of $ I’m looking at first. They’re a good shop and have been honest. I’ll continue to get work there regardless. Sh*t happens, I get it.
I hear good thinks about the EFI Suzuki kickers. New tohatsus as well. What brands does this shop carry?

If they are willing to give you a god deal like cost minus the original value of your kicker it could work out well

Yam, Zukes, Tohatsu. The motor was solid despite its age. I really believe Tohatsu make a good motor. Wasn’t planning on going new so I gotta see how the dust settles.

Hard to go wrong with EFI....Tohatsu makes a great motor, no doubt. The Suzuki EFI’s are hard to beat

Go for a discount on a new one. Treat yo self!!!
All 3 of those brands are great, with an edge to the EFI’s.
When is Yamaha going to join the EFI party?

Well last year I went with with EFI after 35 years of carbs ill never look back to that again love the EFI .. like others said treat yourself enjoy it while we still can ...

Well last year I went with with EFI after 35 years of carbs ill never look back to that again love the EFI .. like others said treat yourself enjoy it while we still can ...
Thinking to swap out my 2015 pro kicker for an efi. What do you love so much, are they noticeably quieter? My kicker is still fairly new and fine that’s why I’m asking, but slow to start

As others have said go for a new if you can swing it, you’d be set for a long time. Be great if they could give you cost on a new plus something for your damaged one

Another option I did years ago for my yamaha kicker I bought brand new as well. I didn't have much money at time. I went in and financed one. The monthly payment was nothing. I paid it off early and looked good on my credit.

That motor lasted 10 plus years and still got good money when I sold it.

EFI main, carb kicker here. The 9.9 seems so fussy to start compared to the main. It's not really, just needs choke for a few seconds or maybe a quick goose on the throttle. And then I think back to how thrilled I was when I switched from 2 stroke kicker to this very same 4 stroke - so quiet and clean and easy to start. Yet still I think how nice it would be if I had a kicker that just started flawlessly like my EFI main...
#firstworldproblems
#efiprincess

EFI main, carb kicker here. The 9.9 seems so fussy to start compared to the main. It's not really, just needs choke for a few seconds or maybe a quick goose on the throttle. And then I think back to how thrilled I was when I switched from 2 stroke kicker to this very same 4 stroke - so quiet and clean and easy to start. Yet still I think how nice it would be if I had a kicker that just started flawlessly like my EFI main...
#firstworldproblems
#efiprincess
Ya I know eh, I feel it’d may be a little frivolous to upgrade from a pretty good working kicker but may be worth it if it’s a lot smoother and quieter. Gets noticeable after a long day trolling with the family. I’m always envious of the boats trolling of the main you can barely hear running

Thinking to swap out my 2015 pro kicker for an efi. What do you love so much, are they noticeably quieter? My kicker is still fairly new and fine that’s why I’m asking, but slow to start
Turn the key it starts no choking ,no pumping throttle before hand, no fast idle. I was told first little bit being new they idle a bit rough and it did as its on board computor is always adjusting. Now at about the 150 hour mark or so she totally ran smooth as silk. i think i ma at about 250 hours now and super quiet, I did impeller and leg oil, filter and oil plugs etc etc as I wont have time later so did it when i had time.One of the best things I did was the EFI.

Sounds like a new Zuke might be the route to go if the price is right. I've built one on the website, how much are dealer fees? Electric tilt would be nice but not exactly necessary as I'm back there regardless to hook up my kicker steer bar. Just need to see how it hangs off the back. My TOHATSU cleared my trim tabs, just need to make sure anything new hanging off the back would as well.

Sounds like a new Zuke might be the route to go if the price is right. I've built one on the website, how much are dealer fees? Electric tilt would be nice but not exactly necessary as I'm back there regardless to hook up my kicker steer bar. Just need to see how it hangs off the back. My TOHATSU cleared my trim tabs, just need to make sure anything new hanging off the back would as well.
Ya I know eh, I feel it’d may be a little frivolous to upgrade from a pretty good working kicker but may be worth it if it’s a lot smoother and quieter. Gets noticeable after a long day trolling with the family. I’m always envious of the boats trolling of the main you can barely hear running

I have a carb'd Yamaha 9.9
and my friend has an efi Suzuki. I really don't notice a big difference in noise.

Yamaha did join the party...sort of....I just hung a T25 on my transom that is EFI
T25 is a main for some of us. My kitchen table has a max HP rating of 0 but I hung an old 9.9 as I like speed.

I think Roy summed it up best for the advantage of EFI.
I was never bothered by the choke and warm up of a carb as I use that time to clip on my tackle. Love that smell of kicker gas at 5am

Last edited:
Treat yourself to a remote/tilt version of whatever make you can get the best deal on.I've alway's run Yamaha HT 9.9 on my boats with no problems ever but all the other makes have caught up to their quality it seems.Some will say better w/EFI,no argument here.

Back