SFBC Forum Members Derby 2014

Still looking.....

Looking for someone to volunteer and take on any after party that may arise after the awards BBQ. This would be best suited for someone that lives and knows the best watering holes on a Saturday night in Nanaimo.

You Nanaimo guy all quit drinking? Come on guys time to start setting this up. Get a couple of your forum friends together and say we have this one under control. Come join us afterwards at -------------------They have, and will have.....So come join us.

Please contact me if this is something you can take on...

Am I to take this, as this is not necessary? I am not sure that it is, as I have been asking for 2 months now and not one member has stepped up to take the responsibility of making the call. You just need to choose a local pub that's not to busy, has good food and drinks, is close to the event etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
...just leave it as a BBQ....focus on one solid event and make it the best possible. I wouldn't extend the derby any more than you have in its inaugural year. Its a great way to wrap up the year. Leave it at that.

That's my thought, but many have spoken up about having drinks afterwards. It was a big thing for a certain person here in the Valley that has yet to enter the derby.... LOL This is a family event, but that being said afterwards some may like to go have a bevy or two.

I would have thought someone would have said lets go to Millers Pub at the Departure Bay ferry afterwards. http://millers-pub.ca/contact-us/

I for one will not be making this call though.... If someone says they will take this on so be it. All you need to do is pick a location. This will not be arranged or set up by the organizers of the 2014 SFBC Derby.

And it begins......May 1st Got to wonder who will be entering the first fish :)

Entry's will be accepted till midnight May 31st 2014.... Got to be in it to win it :)

Leaderboard will be posted after entry period closes. So after May 31st 2014

Damn should of used express post.... It went out Monday so that is a week...

I did have one question has anyone stepped up to be official weigh in down on South Island? just curious if I am in Sooke in summer who to take it to. Can any of the marinas weigh it? I guess Wise Buys would be a good choice...

Mine took 5 days (including a weekend) from the time I dropped it in the mailbox to when I received my notification of entry. Regular old snail mail, Victoria to Courtenay.
You should be good.

I did have one question has anyone stepped up to be official weigh in down on South Island? just curious if I am in Sooke in summer who to take it to. Can any of the marinas weigh it? I guess Wise Buys would be a good choice...

I've got the same question about the Vancouver area. Just supposing one of us guys happens to lay into a 40 plus hog (they do sometimes happen), where are you going to get it weighed?

Take it to one of the many docks in Vancouver and have someone at the dock office help you weigh and verify. I'd love to know of any fishing business, guide operation or lodge operation that won't help you out.

I have never caught a hog and not had it weighed somewhere....

You only need to verify if you think its a top 3 fish. Other entries are just hidden weights. Take a picture and tell me what it weighed.

It might be a little different here FA. We are not so much tourist marinas where that's what you're dealing with and there's a scale and a fish cleaning table at your marina. Mine certainly has none and has no office open whatsoever on weekends or evenings. So Vancouver guys, in the event of someone nailing a possible top 3 where would you get it weighed?

I spent 28 years of my life living and fishing from North Vancouver. Are telling me that you couldn't find a way to get a weigh a fish weighed and verified in Vancouver. Pull into Granville Island I'll bet you there'd be at least a dozen companies that would help you weigh a derby winner.

Gas dock, tackle shops, guide operation etc....

Fair enough. That's why i was trying to pose the question more to the local guys to see if they'd have a suggestion. I know it's not likely I'm going to be sitting with a top 3 but I saw a gal post up a real nice nice fish last year and would hate to have that guy on board with no idea where to take it.

Back