2013 Tuna adventures

Good vid for sure. Nice to watch as I'm sitting in my trailer up at da beach WCVI.

Setting up camp for next years Tuna fishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent Vid

I am still a tuna virgin from BC waters, maybe next year. Certainly looks to be a blast, is the boat a NW aluminum? Looks sweet also.

Good job.

HM

I always like to see a tuna video. Thank you.

I just looked back on my video from three days of fishing in a row from 2012. July 5 6 and 7th I went and got em. Not big numbers but good sizes like most of this year saw. I caught 7 to 11 fish on each of those days. This year July just didn't have the weather for getting out there so id didnt happen for for anyone. It is far trickier to get out in july because there is such a tendency for a afternoon NW blow but it can be done with immaculate conditions as seen in my video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYERhlSn0Yk
I also wanted to point out that in this video I used a camera pole which has foam on the butt so that it fits in any rod holder. This allows it to be hands free while having the use of any rod holder. The pole I use is an extendable pole from home depo which is great for getting it far up or away from the scene.
Sorry this video is a repeat for many here but I just looked back on it and was a good reminder of tuna fishing in July. i hope to have more company out there in the early season than in years past now that the numbers of tuna addicts looks like it may explode.

This year was good for me but I did fish far less than years prior, the exception being I did not get skunked once this year which is a first for me. Probably because I did not fish in july. I did do one trip in late june but that doesn't count because it was june.

I do not think much is going to change for me next year as far as tactics go. I hope to fly a RC aircraft to get some aerial didage(footage)(video) for kicks. I have taken up flying RC planes as a hobby.

The RC plane thing sounds like a kick. I've been dreaming of the days when drone technology becomes cheap enough that we can equip one with a transmitting video camera and send it out scouting in advance of the boat. Wouldn't it be cool to have something that one could launch prior to getting to the tuna grounds that would search a pattern and send back video and GPS coords while you were on the way out?

The RC plane thing sounds like a kick. I've been dreaming of the days when drone technology becomes cheap enough that we can equip one with a transmitting video camera and send it out scouting in advance of the boat. Wouldn't it be cool to have something that one could launch prior to getting to the tuna grounds that would search a pattern and send back video and GPS coords while you were on the way out?

For about 300$ you can buy an electric RC plane and then use this head unit http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor..._w_Camera_and_5_8G_TX.html?strSearch=Predator
which is another $300. Then you have to get some better radio receivers and senders and you can fly around up to 1 or 2 kilometres away. Its a start for around $1000.

I think to make it really useful, one would need a gas powered RC plane to get good range. Also, as you pointed out, one would need higher power transmitters/receivers to get the kind of range required.

my kid got a quad copter from the neighbour,, controlled by iphone, has camera built in... wind effects it but we may give it a go if the wind is down,, gonna do trial runs while on the anchor for hali..

Back