2013 Tuna adventures

I do not mind to share what work for me, I think there is enough TUNA for everybody out there.

My body showed me how to prepare that part of tuna that many of us just troughing away, it is a collared , I just made some for dinner, it is delicious, you guys should try.
View attachment 9103

I do that with the salmon collars...Be thinking I save my Tuna ones this week... :)

WhyNot, great video and I am sure that Tuna was very tasty for sure. I am already addicted to tuna fishing from the forum, but haven't been out yet. Next year for sure, until then I'll enjoy the posts and learn as much as I can & prep my boat for next years tuna fishing.

Great video why knot. I got the invite for a tuna mission out of Port Renfrew on a friend's a boat a week ago ... will post my video shortly (just awaiting footage from buddy's camera). This tuna fishing thing is most excellent, I am a believer.

The Bamfield shootout sounds like a gas ... I can't make it, but hoping for calm seas for you all!

So did anyone actually try to fish tuna this weekend? I enjoyed laying in a comfy bed listening to the wind outside until late in the AM. It was the first weekend I didn't fish in the past 4 and it was kind of nice being able to relax and get a few things done around the hose.

I went out as crew w Harper 44 on Sat. - 5 other boats too - we all got fish eventually , middle of Barkley canyon. 15 for us, 15 for Trophy Hunter, not too sure about other boats totals since we were second last boat back to weigh in. Big swells but mostly glassy
I hafta rush some chores this am before work this aft. so more later if no one else posts before I get another chance

No problem....seems the guys put one hell of an event together thus far.

On another related note. That was one hell of a catch you had, landing that yellow tail! I am still very envious as Alby's are great, but the unknown and unexpected catch must trump the boat load of albacore. Great job and thanks for posting!

attachment.php

I'm not sure if this was ever posted but I thought this might inspire all Tuna Finatics!!
[yNg6XGTabo8] http://youtu.be/yNg6XGTabo8?t=7s

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Video, Wicked Tuna my favorite show on TV, couldn't imagine battling one of them beast's on a rod.... thanks for sharing...Im sure the Albies are alot of fun too... the west coast tuna fishery is spreading like wildfire through the Sporties....Also looks like a good time..

Got the BC tough crew out on my rig on Thursday for a tuna slayfest,fishing was good with full fish holds!
Do to work and weather it turned out to be the only day I could fish the Shootout.It was a fun event,cant wait for next year!
Pic of John and Jeff with a nice one!

006.jpg

The fish had Saury and anchovies in the guts,so the Deadly Dicks did the job along with Mexi flag clones.
011.jpg

Its been a good year for me and I can now see that it is officially over.

I fished way less this year but I only was skunked once so that is ok. The main reason for the big reduction in trips is that there was no/not much good weather during july so it just didn't happen. I think I made about 10 trips but i was still itchin for one more trip. I tried to make it to the shoot out but between the weather and my work schedule it just didn't happen. I did not have my boat for the thursday but I could have fished friday but the forecast was all over the map and with so much rain in the forecast on both weekends I seemed best to start my hunting season which was a good call.
ITs been great watching the tuna shoot out unfold.

I will be planing a yellow fin tuna trip to mexico or somewhere if anyone has any suggestions please pm me.

If you are after yellow fin as your primary fish, Venice Louisiana is tough to beat. I have not been there , But I know people who have fished both there and Mexico, and both parties say that Mex does not hold a candle to Venice. I do not know who they went with for charters but I can find out if you like.

Trips out of Venice catch some monster YFT but accommodations are primitive and the run to the fish is long-weather can be a factor too choose carefully I'd choose Puerto Vallarta any day.

Back