2013 Tuna adventures

Who thought we would be having a drone chat here. Lol! Post your vids folks.

187 days give or take a week.

Thanks for that you enabler lol! Had some of firelight's smoked tuna at the end of the day and shared it with about 6 other folks that never had it before. MAJOR hit :cool::). A couple of them were saying they have to give it a go next year.

Who would have thought that Wolf's smoked tuna could get folks into tuna fishing :p.

For you guys that have gone out in the past, I have a 22 foot lifetimer. really sturdy boat. With about an extra 4 or 5 jerry cans of gas on board, would you guys go in something like that or would you consider that too small. Just putting feelers out there. I really want to try it next year.

nothin wrong with a 22' lifetimer... just watch your weather and go with boat buddies..

I got a ton of new tuna gear for Christmas. Several new clones, a full spool of tuna cord, a Zozuri dive board and a Penn Battle 6000 spooled with 65# braid. Combine that with the new splash birds and some other stuff I picked up in Oct-Dec, and I'll have a lot of new toys to test out this coming season. BTW - isn't it about time to start the 2014 tuna thread? (maybe wait until Jan 1 on that).:D

For you guys that have gone out in the past, I have a 22 foot lifetimer. really sturdy boat. With about an extra 4 or 5 jerry cans of gas on board, would you guys go in something like that or would you consider that too small. Just putting feelers out there. I really want to try it next year.

GIve er. I think the boat that won the tuna derby is a 21? Also birds nest runs a 21 I think. Like others have said pick you days.

Last edited by a moderator:
And be very careful with those fuel transfers and carry an extra fire extinguisher.

Not sure what you mean by that. I do have a fire extinguisher on board...Can you please elaborate on that...Tks

From all that I have read on this tuna fishing, I have zero experience in it. I would probably be better off going with someone that is experienced or take experienced people with me...Lots of different rigs and tecniques...Love being 40 - 60 miles off shore though with no land in sight and the gentle roll of the west coast swell...

Not sure what you mean by that. I do have a fire extinguisher on board...Can you please elaborate on that...Tks

Sure - All I mean by that is that carrying a lot of fuel in jerry cans requires special care. It's fairly easy in flat water to transfer fuel safely but in the ocean it can get much tougher. Fuel vapors can easily accumulate in enclosed spaces (like a bilge) and it's easy to knock something over when the boat is rolling a bit. There are a number of sources of sparks in the cockpit of a boat (switches etc). My biggest fear offshore is a fire on board. This is especially a concern in a fiberglass boat such as mine (but less so in a aluminum Lifetimer). I have a fire extinguisher near the stove, out in the cockpit and above the cabin door. The logic is that a fire in the cabin may not allow me to access the fire extinguisher in there if I'm in the cockpit when it starts. The reverse might be true for a fire in the cockpit. That's all. Just be extra careful if you go out with 4-5 jerry can's on board.

How much fuel does your boat carry? What motor do you have? Maybe you do not need jerry cans. What is the weight of your boat? I would guess 3500lbs-4000lbs. For your boat I would say a minimum of 300 litters would be required for a tuna trip. Lets crunch the numbers and see.

How much fuel does your boat carry? What motor do you have? Maybe you do not need jerry cans. What is the weight of your boat? I would guess 3500lbs-4000lbs. For your boat I would say a minimum of 300 litters would be required for a tuna trip. Lets crunch the numbers and see.

Hey Birdsnest, sorry for the delay and thanks for your post. My boat carries 40 gallons. I have a 2010 150 Zuki and the boat with trailer is 5000lbs. With my calculations which are probably way off, I get 135 nm on a tank. This was based on a trip I did to richmond from Mill Bay via gabriola and back through active pass and home. I was on fumes when I got back. So 50 miles out, 50 back and my guess is you troll quite fast, like 8 - 10 knots...Does that sound somewhat accurate?

Once in a Lifetime something so improbable happens that you just can't believe. In Los Barriles there is a lady and her husband who fish out of Cabo on their 68 ft custom built fishing cruiser. She has placed 2nd in the Bisbee tournament 4 times and won a huge prize this year. She Has caught every sport billfish there is to catch around the world and been written up for it. My wife and I were walking the dog on the beach at sunrise and met her-right out of the blue we got an invite for this Friday out of Cabo-she says the Tuna aren't huge and there are some marlin around -So stayed tuned-going to see how it's done-will take lots of Pictures
This is the crew she uses for the BISBEE-so if I can't learn something from this-then there is no HOPE!!! LOL

Right on SF....what an awesome deal that is...my greatest fishing desire is to be on a LARGE sporstfisher wioth a seasoned crew and captain with a shot or two at a large billfish.
There is just something about a 70 foot boat doing 30 knots out to the grounds and then throwing a spread out with 8+lb baits that gets the blood boiling...

GOOD LUCK, that is awesome.

Guy

Hey Birdsnest, sorry for the delay and thanks for your post. My boat carries 40 gallons. I have a 2010 150 Zuki and the boat with trailer is 5000lbs. With my calculations which are probably way off, I get 135 nm on a tank. This was based on a trip I did to richmond from Mill Bay via gabriola and back through active pass and home. I was on fumes when I got back. So 50 miles out, 50 back and my guess is you troll quite fast, like 8 - 10 knots...Does that sound somewhat accurate?

I think all your numbers seem to line up with what you have. I think you certainly will need allot more fuel for a tuna trip. An average trip out of Tofino is up to 100 miles of running and then no less than 100 miles of trolling at 6 kn. Im not certain but I think your boat may be a bit underpowered but I could be wrong and it really depends on the hull and how it rides and it might be worth loading it down with a few guys, fuel and 4 or 5 hundred pounds and seeing what happens. I would say that you are going to have to carry a fair amount of extra fuel. Fuel bladders are awesome from what I hear.

I think all your numbers seem to line up with what you have. I think you certainly will need allot more fuel for a tuna trip. An average trip out of Tofino is up to 100 miles of running and then no less than 100 miles of trolling at 6 kn. Im not certain but I think your boat may be a bit underpowered but I could be wrong and it really depends on the hull and how it rides and it might be worth loading it down with a few guys, fuel and 4 or 5 hundred pounds and seeing what happens. I would say that you are going to have to carry a fair amount of extra fuel. Fuel bladders are awesome from what I hear.
I'd agree with Birdsnest on this one. 40 gals is way too little fuel to consider a tuna trip. Your estimated range is 130nm assumes 3+ nm per gallon which is probably close on good conditions if you're in the mid range of the throttle but for higher speed runs or worse conditions, the mileage could drop down to 2.5 (or worse wide open). With a 100 mile round trip + 100 miles of trolling/running between spots to find fish plus the extra weight of the necessary ice, you'll probably burn closer to 70-80 gals. Assuming you want some reserve (because you say value your life), you probably want closer to 100 gals. Of course you can stretch your mileage by running at hull speed (5-6kts) the whole way but that turns a 1-day trip into 2 full days.

This post scares me... Conditions offshore are much much different, your burn will be worse and you never want to drain your tank to fumes. Bad for your engine and just risky in general. If you want to fish Tuna you need offshore experience, a plan and an adequate boat. Jerry cans work to help range but imagine pouring them in as you get pounded by 2.5m swells.

Back