Wireless Panther T5 kicker steering...AWESOME!

fishwish

So, I have been using my new wireless, Panther T5 kicker steering system for about a week now, and it has been just awesome.

The install was a little trickier than I thought it was going to be, but that was really just due to certain aspects of my kicker, and configuration (the swim grid was in the way)...the instructions were great, and the electronics part was very easy.

The first time out, it worked just as it was supposed to, and really was easy to learn how to use and get used to. The only part that I have trouble with, is that I get doing something (re-tie gear), and forget that I am still steering the boat :)

Anyways...definitely recommend it...probably not without the wireless remote option. I think the wired version would be a little bit of a pain and the 20 foot cord would just be something else to trip over and get tangled up in.

FishWish

How about posting a pic or two please. I need something better for my kicker setup.

Do you remove your kicker or is it bolted on full time?

I looked at the Panther long and hard, but given that I also needed a kicker bracket, I ended up getting the unit from RemoteTroll.com. I have the RT-85 on my swimstep but they also have a model that mounts on the transom. I have the wired remote but they have a wireless option as well. 3 years on the boat now and it has worked well. I did have the actuator fail early on, but they send me a new one, FedEx next day and changing it was simple. In the end, because I didn't have a bracket, the RemoteTroll ended up being about $300 cheaper. Small company, and you end up dealing with the owner/inventor directly -- good guy.

I've got the Panther unit and it has been great so for(3 years now). Mine is on the cord that I have sort of mounted the remote on my ladder to the flybridge. No problems with the cord, it just runs around under the transom and up the side and pops out right at my ladder. From there I can go any were in the boat and still control her. For the extra $200 for the cordless remote I didn't think it was worth it. No problems so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also thought about "permanently" mounting the corded control...but I REALLY like being able to go inside the pilot house and steer on a rainy, windy day like today :)

I also thought about "permanently" mounting the corded control...but I REALLY like being able to go inside the pilot house and steer on a rainy, windy day like today :)
When I say "Mounted" it really is just a couple elastic straps that hold it in place. I'm with you on the $hitty days I'm inside dry and warm.

Ten Mile what was the total cost bracket and everything

Hey High Five, check out their website -- the bracket and the steering actuator are integrated together. If memory serves, total cost for the RT-85 (now called RT-95) was roughly $550 delivered. They have a wizard that can help you select the right model to fit your boat.

Fishwish how about some pictures.... The boat I just got has TR-1 autopilot, really curious to see it in action . I can post some pics if you would like to see a different unit. Just need it to stop pouring .

TR1 is absolutely the only way to go.
You will never go back.
They are the way and the light.
No other system even comes close.
Fishwish how about some pictures.... The boat I just got has TR-1 autopilot, really curious to see it in action . I can post some pics if you would like to see a different unit. Just need it to stop pouring .

Back