Where the fish are at this season.

TheBigGuy

The newbies guide to finding the right spot to fish this season..

I'm no pro, but for you guys that are just starting out, I've got a few words of advice for you to help you find the right location. There's one group on the water that almost always knows where the fish are at, and that is the "pros". Regardless of what the hot tip of the day is, if you arrive at that spot and there's already a flotilla there and a good number of those boats aren't guide boats you're probably in the wrong spot.

If you have fished though a tide change in a large group of boats, and you've only seen the odd fish taken, and there's no guide boats there, your in the wrong spot. I know this might seem so obvious that you'd figure why even bother posting it. The reason I'm posting it is because we as humans still have this instinct that where there's a huge group of boats there must be a correspondingly huge number of fish. While that may sometimes be true, it is not always the case. If their is a large group of boats at the supposedly "hot" location and your not seeing a fair number of boats hooked up (and there are no guide boats there), change your location.

Not every guide boat is prominently lettered up. So, if you're new to the water, and don't know all the guide boats by sight, bring binoculars. If you don't know the guide boats yet, you can easily identify the "pros" by their registration numbers. Most legitimate professional guide boats these days have a "C" prefix before their boats number. They do not use the common "K" or "BC" registration numbers. Use your binoculars to scan the other boats in the area if you are not having any luck. If there are fish being landed regularly on other boats in the vicinity, then stick where you are at. Perhaps you simply need to adjust your depth, gear, or leader lengths to get into fish like others in the vicinity. However, (and I can't stress this enough) if you are not seeing fish caught regularly around you and the guide boats are not there, move.

Where to move to is the question. Tides play a huge part in some locations productivity, so moving is a difficult decision sometimes. I am not suggesting anyone tail the guide boats out of port in the morning, far from it. But, if the guide boats are all heading North, and your going South, you might want to rethink your fishing strategy for the day. Then how are you to determine what is the best area to fish if your new on the water, if you have no personal knowledge of the area. Research is how, it's all on the forum for you if you take the time to search past posts. Many members are kind enough to post the time and location they caught their fish. Cross-reference the time with a local online tide database and you should be able to figure out patterns if you don't know them already.

I'll give you a few shortcuts if your unfamiliar with fishing around Vancouver and want a general start. The North Van shore is best fished on the incoming tide, with the best bite near the high slack. Pt. Atkinson sees it's best bite directly on the tide change. The North Arm/Bell Buoy bite usually starts 2 hours before the high tide. I don't know if others may disagree with some of those conclusions, but that has been my experience in my years of fishing those areas. Hope some of this helps guys just getting into fishing on the chuck.

pot noodle ....lol
heck just pulla long side and we will do your rigging as well....lol

but honest sound advise from the big guy

just a few other tips if your close to other boats
stay to one side don't troll up a boats backside give a 100 yds or so if you see a boat hook up swing off and give them space its hard to pull out the pack especially if a guys solo and hooked up ....

dont come into the pack on full plane set up out side and troll in and follow don't go against the flow of direction and dont cut guys up keep scanning the water ahead and around not just the rods

if your only getting hits on turns either inside rod slow down or if outside rod speed up

if your not comfortable in the pack stay on the outside / deeper until you get more use to being close to other boats trolling

and be happy to share and let others catch as well .....
where sportfishing after all
enjoy your time on the water
even if paid or out on pleasure time......
respect the commercial boats and give them there space

hope this helps a few

and be safe and always have enough fuel to get home .....
biggest break down on the water .....

pot noodle ....lol
heck just pulla long side and we will do your rigging as well....lol

but honest sound advise from the big guy

just a few other tips if your close to other boats
stay to one side don't troll up a boats backside give a 100 yds or so if you see a boat hook up swing off and give them space its hard to pull out the pack especially if a guys solo and hooked up ....

dont come into the pack on full plane set up out side and troll in and follow don't go against the flow of direction and dont cut guys up keep scanning the water ahead and around not just the rods

if your only getting hits on turns either inside rod slow down or if outside rod speed up

if your not comfortable in the pack stay on the outside / deeper until you get more use to being close to other boats trolling

and be happy to share and let others catch as well .....
where sportfishing after all
enjoy your time on the water
even if paid or out on pleasure time......
respect the commercial boats and give them there space

hope this helps a few

and be safe and always have enough fuel to get home .....
biggest break down on the water .....
Very helpful post wildthing. I totally agree. I'm not advocating dogging the charter guys. No way, that is a low class maneuver. Those guys work hard for their money and following directly behind them all day is just not right.

And make sure you keep your eyes peeled for crab traps at some locations. Some floats can have a lot more line out than they should, so try to steer well clear of them. Hooking up on a commercial trap line is no fun, give them a wide berth.

At the same time, I've seen some guides at Kitty going back and forth with no success and not moving. May just be a bad day overall though for everyone.

Last year there was a large hard top from April Point (? Kingfisher?) came down to Kitty (first bad sign). I shared with Home what was working and where I was finding fish. He did the opposite and shadowed me and got into some fish. He was very grateful.

Thanks for sharing Big Guy! We all always have something to learn and something to offer so I appreciate when people share like this.

The fish are....where you find them.

Unless of course you are a BIG guide boat from one of the Horseshoe Bay fleet...then the fish are always right where you are fishing and every day is absolutely spectacular and he always gets them.

In case you are wondering where he is fishing follow his Instagram account because he tells you exactly where he caught each fish too.

Thank Heavens!

All excellent points, and I'd like to add one of my own.

Look at detailed charts of your favourite areas, what's there? Reef? Steep dropoffs? Good eddys? These are the things that the fish will gravitate toward as the prey will congregate. Sounds simple, right?
Well, what if there are 30 boats all vying for position on the one reef. Tempers flare and the big boats often come out on top, leaving rookies flustered and demotivated, and occasionally sans fish.

However, take what is special about 'the spot' and look for similar features within the area and you may surprise yourself. The number of boats is reduced and there may very well be fish to be caught there.

Fish move. They don't teleport :)

This is true. Fish don't teleport but they do communicate, fish move because of their SFoBC.ca forum (Sport Fish of B.C)

This is a forum for sport fish that share areas to avoid because of sport fish fisher activities. I've heard that a couple of them troll on here....

Zing!

The fish are....where you find them.

Unless of course you are a BIG guide boat from one of the Horseshoe Bay fleet...then the fish are always right where you are fishing and every day is absolutely spectacular and he always gets them.

In case you are wondering where he is fishing follow his Instagram account because he tells you exactly where he caught each fish too.

Thank Heavens!

Bon chovy, preditor, could follow these guys around all day and not be wrong these guys are always on fish.

If your fishing bell, northarm or t10 and u see guides passing u heading south there heading to sandheads. Late in the season they will be fishing anchovies pack up and head down there fishing will be on. If it's a sockeye season guides will be doing weird things like doing circles ignoring troll paterns. There probably chasing sockeye schools

Conversely if your at thoes spots and no guide are around head to cap they will all be there. This is for augest September.

Last edited:
your welcome to the cap gong show
i'll enjoy quite time ..... and wait for another day ....lol

Put your binoculars away, let the pros do their thing. They are fish, not MENSA members. Watch tides, structure, feed and adjust methods accordingly. You would be surprised how "easy" it can be to catch fish where nobody else is.... And how hard it can be with a fleet all fishing same gear/depth/speed. I vote thumbs down to shadowing guide boats (and not all of them are dialed in, everyday)

Look at your charts, look at tides for your day out. Lee side of structure on a change, adjust speed, change it up till you catch something then do it again.

Or just be a sheep and follow the herd.

I don't think anyone is saying exclusively shadow them blindlessly but more on how to use them for extra information when your not on the bite.

sometimes the chicks need to follow the hen

I'm not advocating dogging the charter guys. No way, that is a low class maneuver. Those guys work hard for their money and following directly behind them all day is just not right.
Hey, you can quote yourself. No point in typing it again.

Very helpful post wildthing. I totally agree. I'm not advocating dogging the charter guys. No way, that is a low class maneuver. Those guys work hard for their money and following directly behind them all day is just not right.

Doesn't stop people from doing it though...and I've had it on every boat I have run in Vancouver and every location I have guided on the coast. ;) Being stalked isn't fun...and gets old really fast...

Bon chovy, preditor, could follow these guys around all day and not be wrong these guys are always on fish.

If your fishing bell, northarm or t10 and u see guides passing u heading south there heading to sandheads. Late in the season they will be fishing anchovies pack up and head down there fishing will be on. If it's a sockeye season guides will be doing weird things like doing circles ignoring troll paterns. There probably chasing sockeye schools

Conversely if your at thoes spots and no guide are around head to cap they will all be there. This is for augest September.

Guides have tough shifts too...

The binoculars comment creeps me out...the Capilano fishery is good for introducing people to the thrill of reeling in a salmon...is there sport involved? Nope. What sport is there in dragging a piece of bait past a half dead fish 50 times until the sun, moon, stars, tides and Mother Nature determine that the fish will take a half hearted swipe at it and you get one long zipping half hearted run and the reel it up into a waiting net on the first or second attempt?

40 pound test leaders...30 pound mainline...Flasher in tow...high teen stinky slimy white Chinook... sounds sporting to me...yum yum... lol. Let's get 'em guys!

Most all of the guide boats share information, and help each other out on a daily basis. That's what's necessary for the success of their business, it's putting fish in their boats (similar for the whale watchers). If a bunch of us are sharing information too, less reason to follow them. I think you'd be dumb though, not noticing what the true pros like Predator and Bonchovy are doing. It is unnecessary to follow them though, unless you're fishing the Cap - something I haven't bothered doing in years now.

All excellent points, and I'd like to add one of my own.

Look at detailed charts of your favourite areas, what's there? Reef? Steep dropoffs? Good eddys? These are the things that the fish will gravitate toward as the prey will congregate. Sounds simple, right?
Well, what if there are 30 boats all vying for position on the one reef. Tempers flare and the big boats often come out on top, leaving rookies flustered and demotivated, and occasionally sans fish.

However, take what is special about 'the spot' and look for similar features within the area and you may surprise yourself. The number of boats is reduced and there may very well be fish to be caught there.

That is actually very good advise

I've managed to sneak a GPS onto 90% of the local guide boats.

I'm selling a subscription if anyone is interested.

Find your own water and find your own fish... ;)

Back