Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Monday was slow for me out of Pedder. That being said, I managed to hook a couple soxs at the entrance to race (yes they were released) and broke a leader on a tank of a spring in the bay. Second time in a row now a trophy fish eludes me there. Both seemed to have learned the proper method of releasing one's self from a hook prior to engaging in exhaustive acrobatics and wind sprints.
RCMP was out there all day doing safety checks and from what I gathered, will continue to be out there regularly.So just a heads up to make sure your safety equipment is in order, and those wobbly pops kept out of sight.

Hit the flats tonight. Few boats out. Saw 2 caught. Not a sniff for us, so after a couple hours of trolling', we decided to move into 80 ft of water and try to jig for 1. I was nicely rewarded with a 25 pound Hali!

went out to the flats around 5.... there was a good chop and wind was blowin good

decided to cruise around to ten mile pt where it was glass calm. got a nice lil 12 lber on anchovy in 120ft bouncin near the bottom.

Pulled a skunker in Oak Bay this am with the Rock. Pretty slow for us. Ugh. No sign of springs although one guy said he had 2. Landed a small butt though. Watched the search & rescue efforts and listened on Ch83 but the news is bleak for one young guy who capsized in a canoe last night. Can only hope he made it ashore somewhere.

Saanich man, 20, missing after canoe capsizes off Ten Mile Point; search efforts called off

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/S...forts+called/6899439/story.html#ixzz1zyRfh3BA

This mornings sun rise..
IMG_8786.jpg

Search and rescue working hard through the night and into the morning
IMG_8794.jpg

IMG_8797.jpg

IMG_8806.jpg

]

I got a nice butt the other evening. Dogfish were thick got one every 5 minutes. I deployed some dogfish counter measures which helped a bit but it was still constant dogs. Got a 30 + hali with my very last peice of bait in the water. Actually thought for a second that I had a double header but it turned out to be a Hali on one side and TWO dogs on the other. My brand new wire leader I put on to protect against dogfish got twisted and kinked to crap and broke when I was trying to straighten it. Lol piece of garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good day for fish out at Constance, bagged 2 springs 1 wild 1 hatch, 15 and a 10. held up two fingers to the guide ( no limit charter boat ) he held up 5 in response. Saw multipul other boats playing/netting salmon, the wind chased us off the bank at 11 or so, tried the breakwater and Albert head with no luck.

Cheers
Rich

Went out for a family fish mid-day today, hoping for halibut. Started off Clover, wind chased us towards Albert Head. Caught two dogfish there before waves ended the day. We're enjoying drift fishing for hali, with one success in two tries so far this year, but as a new fisher to the area, I'd love to hear any suggestions anyone would have (even by personal message) as to the best locations for drifting for hali! Thanks!

try drifting for hali's in the mud hole,,,go out to the yellow can bouy and drift anyware from there into albert head,,not big hali's,,chickens,,but still taste just as good

try drifting for hali's in the mud hole,,,go out to the yellow can bouy and drift anyware from there into albert head,,not big hali's,,chickens,,but still taste just as good

There's plenty of big fish caught in that area as well, lots of ground to cover out there.

Thanks Rook2 and Poppa, now I just need to figure out where that yellow buoy is, and hope for the wind to subside, later this week I hope!

Went to conny bank at around 8. It was rough enough to take the enjoyment out of it. So we went to Albert head and the waterfront. Nofish. Not much in terms of sounding bait or fish. Not like the week before.

BD

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to conny bank at around 8. It was rough enough to take the enjoyment out of it. So we went to Albert head and the waterfront. Nofish. Not much in terms of sounding bait or fish. Not like the week before.

BD

I can't remember the last time I heard a decent report for salmon coming from albert head, better off grinding out the harbour when its windy IMO

I can't remember the last time I heard a decent report for salmon coming from albert head, better off grinding out the harbour when its windy IMO

Albert head is my favorite place to fish near Victoria harbour, did really well there last year. It is so peaceful compared to the hustle and bustle of the harbour mouth. I was in the harbour mouth too today but there was sooooo much junk in the water it drove me crazy. I am sure you are right that the harbour does hold more fish.

Doesn't sound like the fishing has been all that great, not good as I'm taking some friends from Edmonton out tomorrow. I was hoping to read good things :(

A bit windy last night, but did some rodeo fishing in my 16 footer off the OB flats and the Gap. Very little bait showing. No salmon in the box, but decided a late dinner of seabass and rice would have to do.

Back