Big Qualicum?

Redfisher

Any recent reports of what the spring fishing is like on the Big Q? Would love to take my 2 young grandsons somewhere to do some catch and release on springs using spin casting gear. Little Q is fly only and they are not ready for that yet.

So here is the Big Qualicum report. A handful of black springs and a bunch of motley pinks above the hatchery. Lower fence is closed so a pile of springs waiting below the fence. Fishing wise a few black boots being caught by guys throwing gear at them. Heard they have already got their spring brood stock but not confirmed. Fish looking pretty dark below the fence.

The rumor is they won't let more fish up because they have to many up already.
We walked up quite a ways and only saw a few pinks and a couple of springs on their last legs. I don’t know how far up the springs go in the main river but we walked almost to the highway bridge and saw virtually nothing.

The school below the fence is impressive to watch. A few big ones in there that I would love to see in the brood stock.

I Live next to an employee at the hatchery they do have all their brood stock I dont think they would let many more up with the lack of spawning habitat and fish would just dig each others reds up. They are probably waiting for coho to show up fingers crossed for a strong return.

I called today as well. They say they are letting Chinook up still after they count them. But held back the giant wave of pinks from flooding it out. Now with this rain maybe the coho will start up

Went by the Big Q this afternoon ... lots of fish staging in front of the gate, which was closed. Fish in front of the gate were dark and thick. No action underneath the rail bridge, but I was only there for 30 mins or so.

Back