Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Out for 2 hours wed.afternoon on the flats, lots of bait showing..
no takers.
There are a few around , just have to be there when the bite comes on.

thanks craven and berg..

been experiencing the same..tons of bait but not many silvers biting.

went out for a few hours last night and had bout 8 dags within an hr. tried going up and down and couldn't get away from them

hopefully weather clears up this aft and can get out

if i started fishin for those lil birds that pop up with all the bait in their mouth, i think i could do real well. much easier to find

if i started fishin for those lil birds that pop up with all the bait in their mouth, i think i could do real well. much easier to find

Aucklets dive and herd the needlefish into balls...
their tongues have little pins that hold the bait on.

that's good to know the name.. i was curious.

they do quite well for themselves and usually have a handful hanging out of their mouths when they come up

goin to head out in a few hours

I was out in Oak Bay last night for an evening troll with Andrew P on his boat. Headed out to the flats and dropped down the gear. King Fisher spoon and glow flasher 30lb leader. The downrigger wire broke when I was letting the ball down and my gear descended quickly with the ball. I went to pop my gear off the clip that's still attached to the ball on the bottom, it pops off but then pulls hard and won't budge. I figured I had snagged bottom so I got Andrew to swing back around and see if I could get it off. Then I felt some action that was not typical for a snag on bottom. Head shakes! I heaved on my rod (shimano technium and 30lb Tilene big game spooled on mooching reel) and was able to slowly bring up what felt like the ocean floor. We killed the motor and I attempted to bring this monster up. I was not making much ground on this thing. Everytime I would get more than a few feet up, it would go back down. We had this battle for 45 minutes while we drifted out into the deeper waters off the flats. When we got out to about 175' it went down to the bottom. At this point it refused to budge again, but this time it really wasn't coming up at all. We tried pulling from all angles for another 45-60 minutes. This was getting frustrating and we weren't sure we were gonna get it to move before breaking the line. We finally got it to budge and we had a new plan to get it to come up, we were gonna slowly motor across the current into the shallow waters by chain islands. It was working!! As we motored, it seemed to rise up slightly in the water. My arms were very sore and I was getting kinda tired. I rehydrated with a few "pops" and was feeling better, but we still weren't sure how we were gonna get this thing all the way up. Oh we also had the challenge of getting it under control once at the boat. No harpoon, no gaff. Andrew rigged up a flying gaff type thing tied off to the anchor line with 2 big hali hooks, He then taped them to a pole to resemble a little gaff. (Andrew P, you needs a gaff!) Once we got into 60' of water by the islands. We killed the motor and I pulled very hard trying to get the thing up. it was SLOWLY coming and we were getting ready. Saw the flasher. We were sooooo close. Then the damn thing decided to STOP. It refused to move. ARRRRGGGGHHHHH. I didn't know what else to do and thought the only way to get it that last 8' was to just heave it up. It was a mistake in judgment on my part. SNAP!!! Rod breaks. My near new technium busted. line broke right after and we watched in agony as the gear and fish descended into the black water of the evening. It was hard to take. Over 2.5 hours from hook up to rod break. Over 4 km's travelled during the battle. I have caught smallish halibut on salmon gear and this thing was not that. It's obviously just a guess, but I think it's safe to say it would have broke 70lb. Probably bigger imo. Image below shows our track. DAMN!!!!!

It was a gorgeous night out in the OB though. And I've got a memory with a bro that will last a lifetime. And if anyone catches a halibut with a white/black green double glow silver horde king fisher spoon, I'd love to meet the fish that stole it. Highly unlikely I know. A little video to come.

big%2520halibut%2520battle.jpg

Dave S, I think I saw you out there last night. I figured you were anchored and steered clear. We were in the green thunderjet. Great story!

Little video clip
[X1JYNx7Dklw] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1JYNx7Dklw&feature=player_embedded

Ten Mile Point sunset
IMG_0198.JPG

Back