Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Get off my case Craven...was replying to boomer
"Sookes great ,bait at .60 to. 80 feet Goodluck boomer"

free4.jpg

P.S..... Boomer, This is the Victoria thread :D

fished the flats this Am, picked up a 13 pounder on gold flasher and "dolphin" pattern Coyote, and picked up a chicken for a bonus, was up to 8 boats at one time and saw nothing else netted

We fished Constance this AM
Got a 10 and a 15..both hatchery Springs on squirts ...lost one to the seal in between
Fished halibut and got a chicken and a 40. Lots of dogs.
All in all a good trip....GREAT WEATHER!!

That's a great trip way to go it tough to work when it such good weather nice to hear there fish to be had

Went out today to take advantage of the glassy water and sunny sky. We got out at 9 and had a hali in the boat by 10:30. Then we started getting dogfish. At about 12:30 we got our second hali. Both chickens. First halibut blood for my boat!! We headed over to the bank to target salmon. Lots of boats in a tight area on the bank. Saw one net. Nothing for us so we headed to the flats to see what we could find. Lots of bait over there but couldn't get the salmon to bite. Great day on the water for us.
IMG_0129.JPG

Went out today to take advantage of the glassy water and sunny sky. We got out at 9 and had a hali in the boat by 10:30. Then we started getting dogfish. At about 12:30 we got our second hali. Both chickens. First halibut blood for my boat!! We headed over to the bank to target salmon. Lots of boats in a tight area on the bank. Saw one net. Nothing for us so we headed to the flats to see what we could find. Lots of bait over there but couldn't get the salmon to bite. Great day on the water for us.
IMG_0129.JPG

Very Nice !!!!!!!!

Went to Constance yesterday, 1pm to 8, and nothing. tried bait , hootchies and spoons all over the water column, to no avail. Right at the end of the day saw a lone humpback, cruising the south side of the bank. When we got back to Flemming talked to another guy just getting off the water who had simular luck at the waterfront. Oh well mabey today, if I can get my buddy out for nightbite.

Got this interesting video/picture link sent to me today, of an encounter between some fishermen, orcas and a seal. apparently it just happened last week up in Nanoose.
I was personaly cheering for the orcas.

http://bctough.com/?p=710

Rich

Got out last weekend with a friend at Pedder (wrong thread I know). Engine problems kept us limping around the bay, but got two cookie cutters on the line.

Went out to Constance last night after work. It looks like it was rdgreen above and myself the only ones there. No fish for me, but I happily landed about 250ft of 5/8 anchor rope covered in creepy crawlies. I was looking for some extra line, so I was happy with that catch. Headed over to the seawall around 730 and saw nothing landed, but one guy said he was first out after work and landed two before the other five or six boats showed up. At least one must have gone back as he was still fishing.

Ghost trip off Oak Bay

Thick fog off OB flats this am, but no fish landed by me in the fog or after it lifted. I saw no bent rods or nets and only one salmon on the sounder all morning from 8-1130.

I had some fun getting my bearings over by discovery and was going by compass and a bright spot in the fog to find the way back as the chartplotter was having problems, and current was pushing us sideways. I didn't realize how far out on the edge of the shipping lanes I was until we got the compass out and ran the main for awhile to get back to the crowd of boats on the flats. Then freighter's fog horns started to blow. About a half hour later the fog lifted and there was 4 freighters in sight. That compass was very handy today.

Got out last weekend with a friend at Pedder (wrong thread I know). Engine problems kept us limping around the bay, but got two cookie cutters on the line.

Went out to Constance last night after work. It looks like it was rdgreen above and myself the only ones there. No fish for me, but I happily landed about 250ft of 5/8 anchor rope covered in creepy crawlies. I was looking for some extra line, so I was happy with that catch. Headed over to the seawall around 730 and saw nothing landed, but one guy said he was first out after work and landed two before the other five or six boats showed up. At least one must have gone back as he was still fishing.

Was it attached to a danforth? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
the rope was cut on one end and frayed on the other. it was actually 1/2 inch. I knocked about a gallon or two of little shrimp and eggs off of it at the car wash pressure washer. they'll be wondering what that rotten shrimp smell is at the gas station.lol

Was walking in the harbour at noon and saw a guide cleaning 3 small springs and a 22lb'r. He said he was fishing oak bay. A few fish around!

There was a good bite this morning just after the flood started, released a 5lb, bonked a 10 lb.
and then had a double header, neither of which were landed unfortunately.
A few mins after the gear was back in the water another pin popper , and lost with a broken leader.
A couple other bites that didn't stick.
Nice to see some action again. :)

First time salmon fishing since Halibut opened up. I took the boat out of the water for a quick oil change and it turned out to be a month of repairs. Back in the water today and fished in and around the waterfront. I was able to bring home a nice, hard fighting 15lber. Had a 8-10 lber to the boat which I lost.....rusty I guess (me not the hook). The screen was full of bait all day. The hot rod was a clear green uv anchovy. Dummy flasher as always. The Fish were at caught at 55 and 70 feet.

Both fish were caught on the trailing hook which tells me they were not hitting very hard.

Tight lines
BD

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0129.JPG

Very nice! Can't wait to get home and get out on the water. :)

Back