Victoria reports Fall/Winter 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
In past years the winter fishery has been stronger, with larger numbers and bigger fish.
This year the majority of the feeders seem to be under 5 lbs, with a few in the 6-10 lb range.
The springs we've kept have empty stomach's leading me to believe there is very little bait available.

Anybody find similar results ?

The small fish we cleaned on Sat. had nothing in its stomach to... that's just great, starving fish! They keep rapping our oceans feed eg. herring ect.. no wonder why we have starving fish.. AWK !

Was out at the bank today had five nice pin poppers and got sealled on all five, lost two flashers and three hootchies
all in all I had a great day.

I've been landbound due to Christmas drinking events, firewood and car repairs, but a friend of mine just showed me some pics of a 15lber caught around Trial Island last wednesday. He dropped his gear down and caught it in the first five minutes. There was some flailing and swearing for excitement as he was solo, the fish was trying to tangle in the other line, current was pushing him around, and he had forgotten to get the net out earlier and extend it. After the shitshow, the fish was in the boat and tasted even sweeter than usual. FYI- He said it's belly was empty as well.

Enough break time. I must return to drying out my car and re-assembling it, now that I have ripped the headliner, carpet, trim and seats out to fix the sunroof drain issues. Arghh. Fishing will be sweeter post Christmas when normalcy returns.

There are a few Springs around, but you need to work for them.
The only food in their stomach's is shrimp and they definitely
need to eat more.

Out with a buddy at fairfax and picked up a 25" spring on Sunday. One bite one fish for the day. Caught on anchovy on the bottom180', no bait showing at all. Had a 4" herring and a 7" maybe herring, it had no skin on it, in it's stomach. No hits on the spoon on my side.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324358852.483214.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324358852.483214.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 335
I heard previously on this forum that some US members drop traps just their side of the line near D'arcy and get a few prawns. Maybe on the side of the hump that straddles their side, but only a short drop on a severe
slack tide.

There are a few Springs around, but you need to work for them.
The only food in their stomach's is shrimp and they definitely
need to eat more.

My last fish have had a freshly eaten shiner perch, an 8 inch pipefish and a half dozen
fresh shrimp for three chinooks over the last couple weeks. Most have been empty and
few have had conventional baitfish.

I guess its another sign of the changing times.... I caught a 20# spring last week that had 33 3-4" pieces of bait in its belly near tent island... also have heard there is one of the largest herring balls showing up north of naniamo somewheres that is one of the biggest seen in many years. Interesting to hear that there isnt much bait to speak of in victoria area. Find the bait find the fish!

Attachments

• IMG_3561.jpg
    IMG_3561.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 144
I would like to Wish Everyone a Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year....and hope that you all get a smiley this year !!!!!!!

Was out Saturday, released 2 , sealed on 1 and bonked one about 6lbs.
I tried a different tactic on the seal and gave him slack so he could chew the fish off
and got all my gear back.
hootchies and spoons were both working.

constance bank hot today

good spring fishing at east side of bank today ,fish and bait all over the screen ,rite on the bottom , 8 /10 lbs first time no seals , all morning bite ,all gear working !

There are some overfed seals out on the waterfront. Fished harbour mouth to Clover today. Fed one seal at the flagpole and got the green flasher-greenand yellow splatterback coho killer back. Almost beat the *******, but he won the tug of war 20 feet from the boat, despite attempts to pop him with the slingshot. He looked like a large rottweiler with jowls. Landed a nice 8lb hatch on a cop car flasher, bloody nose teaser, and 30 day salted chovie that looked like week old pizza, over by brotchie. Dropped the rig down again and 5 mins later nailed another spring, only to have a reel screamer theft-by-seal again. I hope he ate the salmon's head and has fun passing that treble hook later, while my flasher dangles out his mouth.

We know the fed's halibut quota experiment is a bust. Let's lobby for them to approve a few seal harvesting licences. $5 would be well spent. We should argue for some seal quota. The east coast get it all.
Now there's some cheap & oily crab and prawn bait!

2006-2010 Atlantic Seal Management Plan Highlights March, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL ALLOWABLE CATCH (TAC) LEVELS

Harp Seals

•325,000 for one year (2006).
•An additional 10,000 one-year harp seal allocation for new Aboriginal initiatives, personal use and Arctic hunts. Interested groups are required to submit a Conservation Harvesting Plan (CHP) to DFO for approval prior to any hunting activity. The allowance will be divided among groups with approved CHPs.
•The hunt of harp (whitecoat) seal pups has not been allowed since 1987. Marine Mammal Regulations also prohibit the trade, sale or barter of the fur of these pups.
Hooded Seals

•A TAC of 10,000 hooded seals on the Front will be maintained for the 2006 season. The hunting of hooded seals in the Gulf of St. Lawrence is prohibited. The TAC will be reviewed following the release of the new population estimate this spring.
•The hunt of hooded (blueback) seal pups has not been allowed since 1987.
Grey Seals

•The department set TACs at 2,100 in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and 8,300 on the Scotian Shelf off Nova Scotia for 2006. These numbers are in line with Potential Biological Removal (PBR) levels established by DFO scientists. PBR is a highly conservative approach used in marine mammal management where some population parameters are lacking. This hunting season has opened and closed for 2006.
Ringed, Harbour and Bearded Seals

•There are no TACs or allocations set on these species. Licences and permits will be used to control any commercial harvest for these species.
GULF OF ST. LAWRENCE QUOTA

A one-year allocation based on 10-year historical landings with consideration for Quebec North Shore will be allocated as follows:

Quebec North Shore 8, 0 %
Magdalen Islands 20,0 %

Western Newfoundland 70,0 %
Gulf/Maritime Provinces 2,0 %

The Quebec North Shore and Western Newfoundland have seen a decrease in accessible marine resources over the years and are the areas most economically in need of access to the seal fishery. In addition, they have often been excluded from the seal hunt because of harsh climates and ice conditions around the time when prime market animals are available.

The department will closely monitor daily landings and keep tight control with closures and measured re-openings to reduce the risk of quota overruns.

OBJECTIVE-BASED FISHERIES MANAGEMENT (OBFM)

DFO will continue to use OBFM to manage the seal hunt. OBFM and the Precautionary Approach were introduced in the 2003-2005 Seal Management Plan to demonstrate Canada's commitment to conservation and sustainability in the hunt.

This model uses control rules and reference points to trigger management measures for a fishery.

Under the OBFM regime, where there is an abundant resource, the TAC is set in a way that facilitates a market-driven hunt that enables sealers to maximize their benefits without compromising conservation.

The 2006-2010 Atlantic Seal Hunt Management Plan document
is currently being prepared and will be available in the coming months and posted on our website.

B-HQ-06-05E(a)

Marine Mammal Regulations (SOR/93-56)

APPLICATION
3. These Regulations apply in respect of the management and control of

(a) fishing for marine mammals and related activities in Canada or in Canadian fisheries waters; and

(b) fishing for marine mammals from Canadian fishing vessels in the Antarctic.

3.1 Despite paragraph 3(a), these Regulations do not apply to fishing for marine mammals that is authorized by an aquaculture licence issued under the Pacific Aquaculture Regulations.

SOR/2010-270, s. 13.
PART I
GENERAL
Licensing
4. (1) Subject to subsections (2) and 32(1), the Minister may, on application and payment of the fee set out in column II of an item of the table to this subsection, issue a licence referred to in column I of that item.

TABLE

Column I Column II
Item Licence Fee
1. Fishing Licence
(a) Beluga (a) No charge
(b) Bowhead whale (b) No charge
(c) Cetacean other than beluga, bowhead whale, narwhal or right whale (c) $5
(d) Narwhal (d) No charge
(e) Seal — personal use (e) $5
(f) Seal — commercial use (f) $5

Status
Not open for further replies.