Victoria Reports 2015

Hey all! Been off this forum for the last 8 months or so as I was working in Calgary. One more summer here then likely back to the praries...

Anyways, went out on Saturday around 9am. Went right to Constance as Oak Bay was pretty packed. Picked up an 8 pound Chinook on the west side after a couple tacks, but that was about it, aside from a few small Lings. Pretty strong ebb, just made tacks with the tide. Went back to The Flats for the tide change, but nothin' doing for us anyway. Beautiful day out there! Got quite the sunburn.

Saw something hilarious at the Cattle Point launch, sorry if I'm throwing someone on this forum under the bus but it's worth posting...guy ahead of me pulled his boat out the water with both motors (twins) still trimmed down, running, and in gear. They realized pretty quick...wish I had been quicker on my video camera as it was pretty YouTube worthy!

Ouch, cattle point is a challenging launch. Hope the Skags did their job and the props were ok.

Fished Oak Bay for an hour Friday evening, without a bite but recovered a dry bag which could have been from the race to Alaska, posted on their FB page with no one claiming it. Anyone smoke pipe Tabacco, happy to trade a couple pouches for a flasher or lures.

Saturday went out in the fog in Sooke with three small springs and two undersized from muier? creek to Sherringham in prep for the Juan de Fuca. Victoria Sunday morning for a dog fish derby which was interrupted by a nice little Hali that gave me the most fight this year. 12 hours on the water results in some well fed friends and family. Glad I had my new top done this spring, it was hot!

Got out yesterday as well from about 130 to 330. Had one big hit initially that spooled out some line but was gone as quick as it came. Several rockfish including one very large one but we let them all swim again. Got a good view of the Airshow from the Oak Bay Tea Party but it was a bit disappointing this year with only the helicopter and 2 stunt planes.

Oak bay has sure been busy lately....
Released a beautiful unclipped Spring in the low twenties.
Hope we get rid of this slot restriction by the weekend.

Out at Constance yesterday from 7-1:00, one 20lb hali on the drift. Tried trolling for a bit but the ebb was to strong after 10:30. Came in to clover area but it was too damn hot to stay out there any longer and bake. Funny how wind is usually the enemy when fishing but a touch of breeze would have been nice.

Oak Bay is tough to fish when the ebb blows out...way too much wire out there to bottom - bounce effectively! ;)

Fishing was great, catching not so good on Sunday. Tried lures, plastic and chovies on the bottom and mid-range. Even the Andrew needles did not produce anything. Out at 8am until 2pm, Albert Head, Constance, Pedder Bay. Spotted a few bait balls but nothing major. Interesting bait layer at 60 foot out on Constance SW side. Ran on for 3-400 meters?? I ended up pulling some Hali, salmon and cod out of the freezer to give the Father and Son I was taking out for the day. I guess I would make a lousy charter!! Did get them 8 nice sized crabs 

Got to use 15lb. balls on friends boat on Sat. on the flats
Scottys held up fine. Ebb was going good and trolling against current and I was bouncing bottom with not a huge amount of blow back. Seemed to work... about 20lb. hatchery what an
impressive first run I thought I was sealed at first it wouldn't stop running..

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice fish!!! And a Hatchery to boot. We went out Sunday and tied into a big Spring that did a tail walk and broke the line. Only hit that day though. It was probably a wild anyway

Race Rock West

Tied into a big Spring Sunday morning that broke the water and did a tail walk before it broke the line. Console myself saying it had to be a wild to fight like that. Only hit that day unfortunately:(

Okay launched late at esq anglers, tried a bit out front of the sax point to breakwater notta, saw bait and fish on the sounder no tugs, picked up ran around the corner to the flats, lots of boats not many nets out in fact I don't recall seeing one myself, again saw bait and fish on the sounder no bites :( all good weather was nice water was nice and no unpleasantness at the docks was a good day in that respect but the fish can show up in numbers now anytime now lol

Bounced around in the slop in Oak Bay for most of the morning today. Lost one good hit, saw a few others caught. Headed back to Esq. Ang. at noon but it was much calmer on the west side of Trial Isl. so decided to give it a try. Came across a lot of bait and had a 13 lb hatchery in the boat shortly after. Got pretty nasty there by 2 so we headed in, happy we didn't get skunked.

Fished Oak Bay flats this morning.. Ended up with 2 in the box, gave a seal a pretty good fish, long lined another and released some unders.

Thanks Andrew P

Out this morning from about 6:45 to 11:30. Two hatchery fish for the effort -- 10lb and 6lbs.

Well I tried out the Andrew P Sitka spoon as pictured in the above post and I can say it does indeed work. Fished the OB flats this am bouncing bottom and had 8 on and kept our limit of 4 from 8-15 lbs. Good product Andrew!

We tried Constance first with no luck, then went to OB at around 10. No luck there either, even with the Sitka spoon. Lots of other boats and didn't notice anyone else catching anything either, although lots of action showing on the fishfinder. Was the bite on earlier, at the tide change maybe? Or maybe just not my day...

Out West there was a bite around noon.

Back