Victoria Reports 2015

Finally get to post some positive news. Got the skunk off the new boat today out on the flats with a couple friends. We lost one at the boat, but bagged the second -- nice 10lb very red hatch. Tried Andrew P's Sandlance spoon, but no luck -- got both fish on a purple hoochie.

Lots of boats out there today. We were breaking in the new autopilot which worked amazingly well. Got a Simrad unit with the ability to follow along a depth contour -- very handy.

Lots of fish on the flats today. Got two beauty hatches 7 and 8 oclock and did some drifting for halibut and wound up with a skate with at least a four foot wing span. Thought for sure the hali stink was off damn it. Both springs on my new favourite lure the Andrew P

Out this weekend a couple of times. Saturday in Sidney as the waterfront was blown out; report in that thread. Sunday fished the flood from Clover Point around to Oak Bay with the flood. I couldn't beleive how busy it was compared to the waterfront! I only spent about an hour as it was a bit much trying to negotiate the crowd. Did get a nice one on and released a 12-15 wild spring beside the boat. Saw some nets out and it was as glassy as it gets so it's not surprising that lots of people were out.

No kidding, I happened play a round of golf at VGC on Sunday and there must have 50 boats on the flats and just 1 or 2 reports?

There has been a lot of boats out on the flats....lets hear the stories!! I was out from the Green Peace boat to Albert Head 11-330 today. Boated a small salmon and a small Hali. Both on Needle fish lures (AndrewP) Released both. I tried my luck at drifting on bottom at 200' for hali and only caught this thing? Any ideas what this is?? Taking a Father and Son out on Sunday and sure would like to find a couple salmon for these guys. Should I go to the Bank or the flats??

Attachments

• IMG00135-20150605-1515.jpg
    IMG00135-20150605-1515.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG00137-20150605-1516.jpg
    IMG00137-20150605-1516.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 487
There has been a lot of boats out on the flats....lets hear the stories!! I was out from the Green Peace boat to Albert Head 11-330 today. Boated a small salmon and a small Hali. Both on Needle fish lures (AndrewP) Released both. I tried my luck at drifting on bottom at 200' for hali and only caught this thing? Any ideas what this is?? Taking a Father and Son out on Sunday and sure would like to find a couple salmon for these guys. Should I go to the Bank or the flats??

Cool, its a swimming anemone... Stomphia coccinea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xovtWqygix0

I caught one fishing with some buddies for halibut too. Most anemones would stick to the rock if you snagged them and would tear away from the hook when you pull. Because these guys swim they are sometimes out in the open not firmly attached to anything... so when your hooks drifts into them up they come..

Barrie's boat is in the parking lot at OBM for servicing. All she needed was money, money and more money to be spent on her. Must have been 25 boats on the flats Every day I was there waxing. Looked like the "good old days" out there.

Good afternoon out there. Hit the tide change and picked up 2 hatchery springs in about an hour. One about 18lbs the other 10lbs. First time landing a fish solo in the new boat and I was able to get both into the cooler!

Fished the waterfront from 7:30 to 2:00. Not even a sniff.
Not my best day fishing, but far from my worst.
Nothing lost, nothing broken.

There are LOTS more coming boys.....it's going off here

11 to the boat between 8 and 10:15 this morning

Left the esq dock at 6am. Zipped out to Constance only to find it a little too choppy. So, pointed the boat towards oak bay and joined the fleet there. Lines in at 645 or so....saw a few fish landed....we hooked up twice and boated a 10 and an 8. Tried for a third, but no takers. Off the water by 1130....

Victoria Reports 2015

Got a late start, fished the waterfront from 11:00 till 2:00. We pitched a no hitter. Lol

Calm seas and beauty weather though so it's not a total loss.

Gonna give it another go Monday and get a proper early start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I managed to lean on my "up" button while releasing a small fish and broke off a cannonball
snubber and release clip.

:mad:

Haven't been out in awhile, fished in friends boat this morning first light on the flats, got into a beauty 20lb. hatchery that ran like a freight train, got him in, got gear back down quick and rod went off again, 15lb. wild that we let go unharmed.
Saw several other boats playing fish when we had ours. Was a short bite and died quickly and nothing else for us rest of the morning till noon, didn’t see much else caught after.

Fished with the fleet in front of Oak Bay this afternoon, went one for two hits on the Andrew P. Had to throw this one back...ugh !!!I'm guessing somewhere around 18 lbs........
June 6 2015.jpg

Out late morning for the first time in my new rig. Very impressed how an Arima handles! Joined the zoo on the flats and after 90 min of nothing we hooked up on a lunker. Son played it well and then we were trying to ID the fins - it does another crocodile roll and out comes the hook and fish goes down. Never saw if it was or wasn't - my guess was 15-17#. Oh well, better than seal food. Jumped out to Constance and were rewarded with 2 little springs of 5 and 7. I'd say boat is fishy! If I find this old thread of members showing off their boat, I will post a few pics.

Back