Victoria Reports 2015

I was out west yesterday for a change of scenery fished hard from 7:30-3:00 only 2 weak strikes I've yet to catch fish on any of my 5 Andrew P spoons. Only had them since mid April and I've tried short leader, long leader, the craven method, fast troll, slow Troll and still nada. So.........?

I was out west yesterday for a change of scenery fished hard from 7:30-3:00 only 2 weak strikes I've yet to catch fish on any of my 5 Andrew P spoons. Only had them since mid April and I've tried short leader, long leader, the craven method, fast troll, slow Troll and still nada. So.........?

No luck for me either.. one fish last August when the fish were thick and we had run out of bait.

Even had some painted in some UV and glow colors and added moon jelly tape.

Probably trolled it around for a dozen hours now with other lures and bait catching while it does now.

The action and shape looks so good, so what are we doing wrong...? :D

I've yet to catch fish on any of my 5 Andrew P spoons. Only had them since mid April and I've tried short leader, long leader, the craven method, fast troll, slow Troll and still nada. So.........?
Not sure what all the hype is about?
I hit 5 fish yesterday;landed 3, all on the Coho Killer,green and white was best...cheap like borsch at Trotac ;)

Not sure what all the hype is about?
I hit 5 fish yesterday;landed 3, all on the Coho Killer,green and white was best...cheap like borsch at Trotac ;)

Took 4 on pearl coho killer last Saturday... I would tend to agree that the CK is more effective for me than the Sitka...

Do yourself a favor and get them at Trotac, 60% of the cost of the same lure at another local retailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried Constance Sunday 6-12. One 10lb spring to show for it. The only other hit was small. Tried it all. Saw a few other caught out there. But not many. The catch was on purple flasher,watermelon spoon, 75 on the downrigger in approx 100' of water.

Was out a couple times over the weekend. Saturday morning before the family was up zipped around to Oak Bay, released a small one on the flats pretty quick and then decided to ride the ebb back to Esquimalt and head home for breakfast with the fam as it got a bit crowded. Had a flurry of action just coming around Trail Island so did a few passes there instead. Kept a 9lb wild and released aanother around the same size. I was playing around with a dummy flasher with a 5.75" version of my sandlance spoon. It got two of the 3 with a peetz flasher and 4" sandlance on the other.

Got out Sunday afternoon with my cousin and our kids to Constance. Unfortunately the wind made it pretty uncomfortable for the crew so we didn't last long enough for the very uncomfortable currents to slack off....oh well. There was a couple pin poppers that didn't stick, and nothing more to show for our short trip. There was crazy sandlance bait balls with birds feasting on large sandlance. I saw a regular jigger out there that likely did well!

As for the comments above about how my spoon design is working for folks....I don't want to derail the reports thread. They are obviously working great for some and not for others.

IMG_4928.jpg

Hit the flats Sunday evening for a few hours. There were a few salmon around, but little bait, nothing was biting a variety of lures and bait. Hit the Gap and the flats 630-1030 Monday AM, saw some salmon, then got a whale watching experience as a pod with about 9 orcas including a couple of babies rolled through right beside me and a kayaker and a guy in a float tube. I think those two may have needed to hose down their seats after that experience.LOL. Figured any buite was done after that, so headed to constance for a couple more hours around the brief slack. C&R one undersize spring, very littler action on the sounder there, but saw a guide boat pick up a small one. There was a show out there as the canadian submarine came about a hundred yards or so from the west end of constance and circled the US side up close.

Fished Sunday AM (9:30 to 1:30) west side of Constance on the slope in 130 feet, 110 feet on the downrigger, 2 hatchery about a 10 and a 6. Small herring in clear UV super herring teaser head, no flasher. I think one at 10:00 and the second near slack tide. My fishing partner got nothing doing the same! (most of the boats were on top of Constance, I didn't notice much other action).

Lots of boats off Esquimalt and Macaulay today. Anybody got a report, good or bad?

Planning to try tomorrow.

Pinks are starting to show up. Came home with two today. Lost a feisty spring by the flagpole, and let a couple of small ones go. Not exactly red hot, but there are fish around. Not sure why reports are so scarce lately.

Out for the morning and early afternoon yesterday. OB flats to clover. One shaker returned, one cookie cutter kept, one knuckle buster long line release. On the pick at Constance and the towards Albert head feeding the sharks and gulls today. No hali today but a tan nonetheless. Lots of small pinks jumping out there in the deep water

Fished at Constance again, (delayed getting to the Esquimalt boat launch due to a 10K run. Got out to Constance by 10:00, tried the same plan as last time, west side, top of the slope, 130 feet of water. Most of the boats were fishing up on the bank. No Springs this time, but 7 Pinks by 1:00 PM, 70 to 110 ft on the downrigger. The guts were stuffed with krill or pelagic shrimp (they must have had gut aches!). Never encountered them this early or at Constance in such quantity. Started the day with anchovy or little herring (looking for Springs) but once we realized it was Pinks we put out the neon pink short skirt squirts behind a flasher with some red and the biting was pretty consistent. Actually also caught 2 on a lime and chrome Coyote, down at 110'. I think that we were luckier than many.

Lots of boats off Esquimalt and Macaulay today. Anybody got a report, good or bad?

Planning to try tomorrow.

Went to Constance bank today and found the pinks.. lots of them.. we hit them on the early tide. I found that attaching a false flasher on my cannon ball and then clipping off close to it really worked well.
We kept 2 pinks each for a total of six in the boat but we could have easily got our limit, and then some. We were monitoring the radio on ch 68 and the other boats fishing on the bank by the freighter were not having as much luck. We found the action on the edges of the bank.

Cheers
Rich

My buddy caught this 30lb on Saturday...
waterfront

IMG_6596.jpg
Richard-Driedger.jpg

Back