Victoria Reports 2015

Nice fish! I'm going to just tie off your stern and take the leftovers. Thought I saw you running out yesterday afternoon to fish the change?

Yup 1-4 for hali,dropped a guy off at the dock and went out to trial for sunset shakers.
Its a pond right now,t shirt weather

That's a nice fish Humpbubble. There is a lot more buddies to be had if you keep passing rods with 52 pound halibut attached to them. LOL. That is many good meals there for sure.

Fished Whirl Bay today with guest Juandeone from 11 till 1230 using rubber, no action, no bait or fish showing. Downrigger line on one side decided to leave us as it snapped off for no apparent reason other than maybe I should change to braid (will consider tomorrow at Scotties) Decided to leave for Constance and fished there from 1245 to 3:00 using the same fuc.ing rubber but can't blame that as we never contacted any bait or had any fish showing on the sounder. ??? Where have they gone ?????? I figured when I got home and checked the forum I would see that Oak Bay was on fire, alas no one wants to tell a story about a great day on the water. The saving grace was 20 plus legal crab to sift through to met our limit of 8 was the toughest thing we had to do today. By the way there was at least 30 boats in Whirl Bay and maybe 5 or 6 boats at Constance as well as some anchored up for hali. Come on guys even if you had a bad day fishing on the water at least report that you had a great day on the water regardless whether you caught anything.

Fished OB flats this Morning. 2 strikes and caught one XL HERRING. My super hot lures from Friday went from hero to zero.

Constance today

We saw you out at Constance Chero.
Caught a 5 lb white spring along bottom in 110 ft on rubber at 9 am. The next was caught at 11:30, a 6 lb red, caught at about 80 ft in 110 ft of water on a spoon. Both female hatchery fish, with some needle fish in them.

Tried drifting for Halibut for a couple hours--no luck.
A couple dungeness in the trap at the end of the day. Beautiful day on the water!

Sat aft/eve was no good for me on the flats..2 shakers
Hali was good today for my crew,biggest #45.im done with the flatfish for a bit:)
Engine troubles stopped us getting to conny for the evening bite,so we trolled around the flats and to the marina with just a pissed ling to release.

Nothing to report for me other than a nice boat ride, sunny and warm,
but no fish.
Kinda typical for full moon fishing.

Was relatively slow this weekend compared to other outings...

Marked minimal bait and managed a 14lb red hatch which put up a nice battle, bait as per usual for me.

Mustered up a 25lb hali on the mud flats (shout out to Barrie for location), but those were the only 2 hits over the day... (8 am - 4 pm).

Hali was a sneaky bugger, I thought it was a dog fish until it got to the surface and all hell broke loose.... gaff wasn't ready to go, crew was all busy as we thought it was just a big dog fish..

Hopefully next weekend brings better fishing, as we saw almost no fish at Cheeanuh.

Fished McAuley to Flag pole on Saturday. Nothin', nada, zilch. Felt better after I talked to the Fisheries guy at the Esquimalt boat ramp. The parking lot was jammed with trucks and trailers but he said there were only 6 springs brought in and 4 of them were off a guide boat fishing Constance. "Very slow" for springs was his description. So I don't think I was the only fisher hitting the grocery store on the way home.

Was relatively slow this weekend compared to other outings...

Marked minimal bait and managed a 14lb red hatch which put up a nice battle, bait as per usual for me.

Mustered up a 25lb hali on the mud flats (shout out to Barrie for location), but those were the only 2 hits over the day... (8 am - 4 pm).

Hali was a sneaky bugger, I thought it was a dog fish until it got to the surface and all hell broke loose.... gaff wasn't ready to go, crew was all busy as we thought it was just a big dog fish..

Hopefully next weekend brings better fishing, as we saw almost no fish at Cheeanuh.

Mmmmm... that sounds like a pretty good day to me, doesn't seem particularily slow.;)

Great day out hali fishing with Jim and Jaime with Gord Martin of Foghorn Charters on a charter my buddy Jim won in last year's 2014 Alpine Juan de Fuca Fishing Tournament. Thanks for a great day on the water Gord!
11052886_1019129768115878_8047577172560442297_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some great looking fish Whole in the Water. There is lots of good eating coming from those. Looks like it was a beauty of a day for you out there as well. Nice work.

Great looking fish Chris, I bet Jaime got the biggy and let Jim hold it for her. Hope the wind dies down for Monday.

Went out on Thursday this week with Chero and my bro'-in law Sheldon, left Fleming Beach at 7:30 and headed for Whirl Bay, ran a spoon on one side and Chero's favorite squirt on the other, put a nice little 5 lb firm winter spring in the box that hit the squirt at about 9 am , seemed to be lot's of bait around, but not many fish. Had another one on at about 12:30 but it shook itself off the barbless hook, all in all a good day out there as the water was pretty flat, good B.S. session on the boat, - Thanks again Chero for a good day on the water, let me know if i forgot anything in the report!! - on yeah, Chero lost his thermos cup he had for 30 years, put in on the hardtop and she slid into the water, bye-bye! Man he was pist!!

Back