Victoria Reports 2015

Got into the stampeed to launch the boat a few minutes before 7 at esquimalt and it was the most boats and trailers I have seen all year. Drummed up a couple halibut just passed Constance and the. trolled for an hour without any hits. Nice to see the sunshine on the fishermen while it rained in town.

Good goin Kael. Nice to hear you're getting out there.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Got into the stampeed to launch the boat a few minutes before 7 at esquimalt and it was the most boats and trailers I have seen all year. Drummed up a couple halibut just passed Constance and the. trolled for an hour without any hits. Nice to see the sunshine on the fishermen while it rained in town.

All the weekend warriors wanted to get one last halibut on their license before the end of the month.

It was the most boats I have ever seen at Esquimalt.

I joined the frenzy at Esquimalt launch yesterday. No surprise as the weather was not suitable saturday and it was good currents most of the day. Got into some halibut at Constance. Herring and salmon belly. 230'. The smaller halibut had lots of fight and seemed much bigger during the haul up.

Anyone else hear Victoria Coast Guard on channel 16 explaining the rule about staying out of the way of commercial traffic in the shipping lanes. Not smart to anchor in the lanes guys. And silly to blame any close calls on the commercial vessel. Is a halibut really worth losing your anchor system, or your life?

I joined the frenzy at Esquimalt launch yesterday. No surprise as the weather was not suitable saturday and it was good currents most of the day. Got into some halibut at Constance. Herring and salmon belly. 230'. The smaller halibut had lots of fight and seemed much bigger during the haul up.

Anyone else hear Victoria Coast Guard on channel 16 explaining the rule about staying out of the way of commercial traffic in the shipping lanes. Not smart to anchor in the lanes guys. And silly to blame any close calls on the commercial vessel. Is a halibut really worth losing your anchor system, or your life?

unfortunately it IS going to happen. DO NOT ANCHOR IN SHIPPING LANES!! PERIOD ,

beemer

Fished 17 fathom for halibut yesterday for the whole day. We landed 3 rat fish. we heard of a few fish being landed but not for us. Used herring, octopus salmon and mackerel.

let me guess guys anchored off yellow can again. Don't anchor there pilots will ask you to move.

The one incident they were discussing was near discovery. But they send out a message to all recreational boaters between race rocks and discovery, so may have been reports coming in from commercial traffic of other boats anchored in the lanes.

Saw a half dozen scattered through the lane off discovery sunday..all pretty much abrest of each other.not easy to navigate esspecially tug and barge.pretty dumb

image.jpg

Everwhere i have fished this last week we have had luck. OBF. CB. and AH. match the bait. purple haze /green silver coho killer. andrew p with shiny sticker. all fish 6-10 lbs. only two of the fish have had those 10" herring that are out front. hint hint.

dip net of those herring looks like this

image.jpg

JL

Fished west of the shipping lane by the yellow can bouy, 230 deep great current lousy fishing!!!!Great day on the water with my buddy though!

View attachment 17088

Everwhere i have fished this last week we have had luck. OBF. CB. and AH. match the bait. purple haze /green silver coho killer. andrew p with shiny sticker. all fish 6-10 lbs. only two of the fish have had those 10" herring that are out front. hint hint.

dip net of those herring looks like this

View attachment 17089

JL

Now THATS a usefull post!

Thank you

Connie was good to us yesterday.... landed 4 on about 10 hits and lost a good one to snuffy, who put on a surface show for us as a tease.

Our guest (buddy) caught a pair of cookie cutter 7-8 lb hatchery chinoooks, which put a smile on his face.

Hits came on bait and herring sized TKO spoon.

Was in a rush and didn't check bellies.

Tight lines!

Fished Constance today from 10 am to 3 pm using plastic for the most part of the day. Had 3 hits, one wild in the boat at 9 lbs - 66 cm. Played one for a little bit thought it shook the hook but checked the houchie and found the hook had broke half way up the shank. Lots of bait showing for a change, lots of dolphins circling us. All in all a good day on the water as it flattened right out after the tide change.

Trolled Oak Bay Flats from 9am to about 11:45. Had one strike on a white hoochie w/ purple haze flasher near Brodie Rock. Not much going on out there it seems. We picked up lines and headed for the breakwater. Did a couple of passes but nothing going.

Had a hit in front of McCauley Pt around 10 this morning but lost it. Got one in the boat by the gravel pit at around noon, near bottom in 120'. Both on No Bananas spoon. Saw a fair number of Hali's being cleaned at the dock. Nice calm water in the morning. Got a little choppy in the afternoon.

Back