Victoria Reports 2015

Went out on sunday for some Hali action. We fished in 310 or so feet off William head. We got 1 Hali around 30 ish. 2 rat fish and 1, 10 pound pacific cod. Hali was caught on herring and salmon. Only Hali hit all day. Nice enough day though.

Went out this morning. 8am -1:30, one nice fish 7lbs, and 1 nice crab. Whirl bay 155ft on bottom, No Bananas Flasher and No Bananas Spoon. Lost 2 and had 3 other hits all on the same setup and same depth. Other side had nothing fishing chovey.

Haven't been out in awhile. Out Sunday morning trolled OB flats to esquimalt with the fast current. Did a few harbour mouth Brotchie ledge laps. Lots of boat out but no nets. Pulled and headed up to clover for the tide change. Picked up a nice 12lber. Yellow and white glow spoon over a dummy glow flasher. Perhaps yellow is the colour this week? Similar to the no bananas spoon.

Out thurs and sunday with the old man visiting. Stayed around Albert Head as there was lots of bait on the sounder, but no fish to report. Today (Tuesday) last day for dad, started at constance first thing for the tide change. Again lots on the sounder but no bites. Moved to Oak bay for the first time this year and picked up a 8lber closer to the Gap. Caught it 15' off the bottom on Andrew's spoon with a small flasher. Tons of birds and bait. Didn't mark many fish. The fish had a 5 1/2" herring and needle fish in its stomach at various stages of digestion.

JL

Enjoying the detailed reports - next best thing to being there. Lost power on my main, should have it replaced in a few weeks - hopefully things pick up mid-April- looking at archived reports.

Fished Oak Bay Flats yesterday from 745 till 1 PM with forum member Bag-Juan with little results. Bag-Juan caught and released a nice ling cod maybe 10 lbs. while jigging. Trolled the usual spots with no results, no bait showing to speak of. Did see a nice spring landed around 830 am on the flats at about 130 ft. Chatted with the fellow and he told me that was his second fish and was done. He was using chovie for bait. It was a great day on the water, flat and sunny. Finished with 8 nice crab.

Usually around mid April we see migratory Springs start moving through.
12-20 lb Washington hatch jobs.
they didn't show up last year in any numbers.
fingers crossed ! ;)

Fished Oak Bay Flats on Thursday, what a beautiful day. Wow!!, Picked up 2 nice hatchery springs 8 and 11lbs. Fishing right on bottom. 125ft and 147ft. Both were caught on the turn. No Bananas Spoon and Flasher and Purple Onion Flasher and Bloody Nose head Chovey. Got first fished 7:30 and 2nd fish 9:30, Also got 1 nice crab. Just before I got my 2nd fish, I noticed a coke bottle floating in the water, I said, "Hmm I wonder if there is a note inside." As I looked closer and drove past, there was a note inside. As I made a turn bam my rod goes off. As I keep my eye on the bottle lol, anyway I land the fish but lose sight of the bottle. As I am dealing with the fish in my boat I could hear this tap, tap along side. I look over and its the bottle. I was like wow this is my day. When I got home and got the note out of the bottle, it was from a 13 year old boy from Suquamish, Washington, it was for a school project to see how far the bottle would travel. Well it travelled 147km, he released it 3 weeks ago. I got in touch with him thru intagram and sent him a picture. He was super excited. The funny thing is his name is Jayden and that is my sons name. So weird. Anyway Great day, Great story. Love days like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
South/West end of Constance bank was slow today(0800-1400). tried 245' and also 330' with only 1 ratfish and 2 dog fish. used herring and also tried octopus...

Out at Constance this morning. Slow start 8-1030 but had 2 salmon in the boat when the bite seem to come on at 1035. First one was about 5lbs and as I was lowering the gear I had a 16.5lb hatchery fish. It took off a 3 long runs that peeled the line out. Many thanks to the guy in the sail boat for diverting and not running over my line. SW corner of the bank just as it drops off, in about 100' of water. I was close to the bottom and was using a green and silver flasher, anchovie with a green and yellow teaser head. A male with an empty stomach. I was trolling about 2 kts.

Attachments

• IMG00112-20150329-1208.jpg
    IMG00112-20150329-1208.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 602
Thanx. I was flying alone today, rod in one hand the net in the other. That was one tough fish and the hook fell out of it's jaw once I got it in the boat. You gotta love fishing!!

Back