Victoria 2014 Reports

So I'm expecting we'll take a break from hali fishing on Saturday, and try to pick up a salmon on constance. I've never trolled constance in the summer-do guys fish it pretty shallow like 40-70 feet, or deeper?

I could be completely wrong on this but aside from Coho, which generally travel near the surface anyway, Springs over many banks will be near the bottom, as the bait will still be stirred up around there. I guided on Swiftsure last summer and the Springs were deep all summer long, (aside from the odd one) so I'd make an educated guess and say that's where they might be if they are that far out.

Just a guess - I've never finished Constance in the summer.

Out to Constance today from 11-2...no love. Great weather, but no fish. Seemed that it was slow for the boats out there but saw two boats bringing in some teens, one on the way out, one on the way in.

Huge Algae bloom right now...looks like someone teabagged the ocean. I told my son that it was because Victoria pumps it sewage into the ocean...he almost believed me.

I thought springs ran closer to the surface dependant on light...eg. Dawn and dusk and went deeper during the day...but I run one low and one high, then try to put it below the bait, but it am a rookie!

I could be completely wrong on this but aside from Coho, which generally travel near the surface anyway, Springs over many banks will be near the bottom, as the bait will still be stirred up around there. I guided on Swiftsure last summer and the Springs were deep all summer long, (aside from the odd one) so I'd make an educated guess and say that's where they might be if they are that far out.

Just a guess - I've never finished Constance in the summer.

You're not wrong, 99% of the time fish on constance will be full of needlefish. Needlefish are in the sand/mud right on the bottom, if you're not constantly bumping bottom while out on constance you're not fishing where the fish are.

try fishing right on top of the bank where it's only 60' - caught way more in the shallows then out on the edges.

Yes fishing up top near the pinnacles on Constance Bank can produce some quality fish; certain coyote spoons have been known to slay,you'll also encounter many juvenile lings & the odd hali. Try mimicking krill when they are in abundance.

Yes fishing up top near the pinnacles on Constance Bank can produce some quality fish; certain coyote spoons have been known to slay,you'll also encounter many juvenile lings & the odd hali. Try mimicking krill when they are in abundance.

Ha.
Mimicking krill.
Let me get my fly rod and 130' of sinking line and give that one a try.

I'll be out tomorrow to duke it out with the seals.

Ha.
Mimicking krill.
Let me get my fly rod and 130' of sinking line and give that one a try.

I'll be out tomorrow to duke it out with the seals.

...perhaps your tackle box hasn't seen a tigerprawn spoon :D

Any one else find it strange that there just aren't any fish around? It was supposed to be the fishing season of a lifetime, but it has not been even close to it. I sure hope it picks up soon.....

Wow is it ever slow.... lost one small fish to a seal
and that was the only bite :(

Saw you working it hard yesterday Craven, I spent 2.5 hrs jigging the flats and the gap lost a big one at the gap but that was it for OB. Went to Constance and trolled the usual spots for another 2 hrs, nada. Marked lots of bait and fish at Constance, lots of boats there but never saw a net out. Beautiful day on the water though. Made the wife happy by bringing 4 nice crab after a 5.5 hr soak.

Any one else find it strange that there just aren't any fish around? It was supposed to be the fishing season of a lifetime, but it has not been even close to it. I sure hope it picks up soon.....

Me too, put in another 3 hours today without a bite

Are you guys marking any fish? Are you guys just talking about OB? I was out on thurs and Father's Day and marked fish both times. Caught one each time off Victoria. 6 and 9 lbs hatchery. Both had a large (5-6") herring in it. Both caught off of the bottom on needlefish spoons. Both days i was skunked at constance where I went to first.

JL

It was great out there today. Solo effort. Mission 1 was halibut. Got it done quick with one just under 20 and had time to try for the elusive salmon. They were not so elusive today.

Hit a 14lbr while trying to fix a little fun combo that was acting up. Lost the reel completely just as the fish hit all i had was freespool. I managed to hand bomb the thing it took awhile and went on lots of runs especially near the boat. Shoulda tossed it back because I caught and released a 20lbr the next pass and another high teens shortly after. Both on normal setups. Didn't see anything else caught really but I was sort of off on my own. No small 67cm or less fish to complete my limit.

In the pic check out all the braid all over the floor. LoL. Managed to hand balm about 115ft of line without tangling. (Guess the tapatalk pics r too poor to see my mess).

Last edited by a moderator:
photo 1.jpgphoto 3.jpg

dyqumy3u.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I managed to hand bomb the thing it took awhile and went on lots of runs especially near the boat. Shoulda tossed it back because I caught and released a 20lbr the next pass and another high teens shortly after

wow, if you are catching and releasing 20lb springs now
you're dialed in . ;)

No kidding. That's a good day, not many others catching fish like that in these parts...well , that are reporting anyways.

Back